Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stephen King's The Stand (CBS All Access) - D: Josh Boone

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
re: Stephen King's The Stand (CBS All Access) - D: Josh Boone

Ordered to series at CBS All-Access. Thread title needs re-working.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/stephen...ca-1202545661/

CBS All Access has given a 10-episode order to The Stand, a new adaptation of Stephen King’s bestselling novel as a limited event. The project hails from Josh Boone(The Fault In Our Stars) and SEAL Team creator/executive producer Ben Cavell, and CBS Television Studios.

Boone and Cavell penned the adaptation, and Boone will direct. The Stand is King’s apocalyptic vision of a world decimated by plague and embroiled in an elemental struggle between good and evil. The fate of mankind rests on the frail shoulders of the 108-year-old Mother Abagail and a handful of survivors. Their worst nightmares are embodied in a man with a lethal smile and unspeakable powers: Randall Flagg, the Dark Man.
Old 01-30-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
Re: Stephen King's The Stand (CBS All Access) - D: Josh Boone

Yeah I just saw Kings tweet.

Crap.
Old 01-30-19, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Well ... good that it is getting made. Too bad only Star Trek fans will get to see it though.
Old 01-30-19, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ll wait for free months. They pop up often enough.
Old 01-30-19, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I was hoping for Hulu, since Castle Rock and 11/22/63 are already there. I really would love for a shared King universe to actually happen, and culminate in a Dark Tower adaption that isn’t pure shit.
Old 01-30-19, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I feel like this forum has a very love-hate opinion of streaming. We're in an age where we are getting more shows and movies than we can realistically consume in a day let alone a week. Yet, I just see people complain whenever new shows are announced for services they don't have and then eyes roll. I mean sorry to say it, but this is the era we're living in now. Streaming and subscription fees are what pay for these shows. Not over the air with ad revenue.

If you like the content and want to support more quality content coming out, you have to pay for it now. And I'm assuming the subscription model was the only way The Stand was going to get made. I know most here have a limited amount of time for entertainment and a limited amount of money to spend on it. So you just have to use your best judgement if it's worth it to you or not.
Old 01-30-19, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm spoiled and feel like they should be free with advertising
Old 01-31-19, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Streaming fees > interrupted by ads.
Old 01-31-19, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I would've preferred it being on Amazon Prime or Netflix. Have free reign to make more adult. What hindered the miniseries was being on ABC.
Old 01-31-19, 05:26 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I would've preferred it being on Amazon Prime or Netflix. Have free reign to make more adult. What hindered the miniseries was being on ABC.
Don't they say "fuck" on ST: Discovery? It's on a streaming platform, why wouldn't it be adult-oriented?
Old 01-31-19, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Don't they say "fuck" on ST: Discovery? It's on a streaming platform, why wouldn't it be adult-oriented?
Correct. People shouldn't be fooled into thinking that the CBS All Access original programming has to play by CBS-TV standards rules. There's no reason to assume we won't get an "R"-rated version of The Stand.
Old 01-31-19, 06:50 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

It doesn't matter to me what format it airs in, I'll wait until it hits DVD/BD before I see it, unless it turns into a steaming pile of shit and people reportedly hate it. Then, at least I wouldn't have wasted my time on it. I hope it does better than that though.
Old 01-31-19, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I feel like this forum has a very love-hate opinion of streaming. We're in an age where we are getting more shows and movies than we can realistically consume in a day let alone a week. Yet, I just see people complain whenever new shows are announced for services they don't have and then eyes roll. I mean sorry to say it, but this is the era we're living in now. Streaming and subscription fees are what pay for these shows. Not over the air with ad revenue.

If you like the content and want to support more quality content coming out, you have to pay for it now. And I'm assuming the subscription model was the only way The Stand was going to get made. I know most here have a limited amount of time for entertainment and a limited amount of money to spend on it. So you just have to use your best judgement if it's worth it to you or not.
It’s gonna have to eventually go to bundling, like VRV does. That just seems an inevitability. It’ll be interesting to see how streaming plays out over the next few years.
Old 01-31-19, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hopefully this gets the STiscovery treatment and has foreign distribution is by Netflix. its been nice watching the shows weekly on Netflix. Though I suppose that's about the only perk. I don't get a lot of the other shows that everyone else gets.
Old 01-31-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

so sick of all the streaming services carrying one show that i want to see.... I wish there was bundling like with cable companies as someone else mentioned earlier or a'la carte viewing of shows on these services. I wouldn't mind to see Discovery or this, but I don't see myself paying for the privilege or wanting the hassle of canceling after some short free trial....
Old 01-31-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts

The surprising part is that you have to explain this to people here who've paid a monthly fee to HBO since the 1990s.
Old 01-31-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Correct. People shouldn't be fooled into thinking that the CBS All Access original programming has to play by CBS-TV standards rules. There's no reason to assume we won't get an "R"-rated version of The Stand.
Then they have no reason not to go full-throttle on this version. I'll have very high expectations.
Old 01-31-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
The surprising part is that you have to explain this to people here who've paid a monthly fee to HBO since the 1990s.
I didn’t need anything explained to me.

The issue for me is that now in addition to paying for cable to get those channels I want now I have to pay for half a dozen streaming channels for more shows that I want.
Im not doing that.

There’s more then enough out there already so anything i’ll Watch on DC or CBS I’ll find somewhere else or when there is a free month or week or whatever.
Theres no need to be condescending towards people who don’t choose to pay another 10-15 a month for another service.

BTW there are people who get some services like hbo for free or included with another service like ATT OR T-Mobile etc...
Old 01-31-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven’t watched Castle Rock yet but it looks like it might be good. 11/23/63 was terrific so there’s hope that these new King adaptions have a chance to also be good.
Old 01-31-19, 02:04 PM

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,130 Posts

I think this topic would make an interesting thread on its own, you should start it. If I was a TV Talk mod, I'd move yours and others related to it to a new spinoff thread. Instead, I leave it to you, it's a good topic.
Old 01-31-19, 02:23 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I'm coming around to this. I've resisted the fracturing of content providers for a long time, but this is the way it's going to be now. With this new project for The Stand, and the multiple Trek shows, I'm starting to lean towards subscribing to CBS All Access.
Old 01-31-19, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
True, but we’re also at a time when desirable content is going to be spread across multiple streaming platforms.

Right now we have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, CBS All Access, DC Universe, and the upcoming Disney+.

And we’ll probably be getting a few more in the near future. $10-15 a service, so if you subscribe to all of them, it’s basically another cable/satellite bill. So much for saving money by cutting the cord.

While it’s true that you can do these on a month-by-month basis and stagger the servicesone a month, and binge everything you want to see in that month before moving onto the next one, they’ll probably catch on and go to annual subscriptions.
Old 02-05-19, 02:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Why not switch to a different streaming service each month and watch the shows you are interested in on that service. By the time you rotate back they will likely have new content that interests you. This costs $10-$15 a month total, and you get to see all the exclusives.
Old 02-05-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Having to pay for streaming sites is more evil than Randall Flagg.
Old 02-05-19, 05:23 PM

The Streamin Dude. My life for you, CBS!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.