Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

All In The Family - 1968 Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All In The Family - 1968 Pilot

Who has seen this? I viewed it for the first time last night on YouTube (what a wonderful thing to have in our life), and was fairly impressed - with Tim McIntire as "Richard" (later played by Rob Reiner and named "Mike"). Richard was a blonde haired Irishman, otherwise known as a "Mick" by Archie.

Richard was played a little more nasty than Mike was - Mike, at least, kept a neutral tone of rationality until he got fired up. Richard, on the other hand, was just nasty and had no patience for Archie. However, it was very interesting to watch.

Has anyone else seen the pilot, which was called "Justice For All?"
Old 01-28-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: All In The Family - 1968 Pilot

This may not be accurate but FWIW:

Three pilots were shot, the first under the title "Justice for All", the second under the title "Those Were the Days", and the third as "All in the Family". Different actors played the roles of Mike, Gloria, and Lionel in the first two. The family name was Justice, not Bunker. Meathead was called Dickie, not Michael, and he was originally Irish-American, not Polish-American.
Old 01-28-11, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read somewhere that Richard Dreyfuss campaigned hard to get the role of "Mike Stivic," but Norman Lear was set with Reiner for the role. I can imagine Dreyfuss, however, with his manner of arguing.
Old 01-28-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Producer Norman Lear's original choice for Archie was Mickey Rooney.
Old 01-28-11, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Justice For All (1968)
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4xwKhHoQ-_w" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Those Were The Days (1969)
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qlboZuvBFNM" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

All In The Family (1970)
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8U2Yrnm2__8" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Was this the first-ever taped TV series?
Old 01-28-11, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HUG-H
Was this the first-ever taped TV series?
No.
Old 01-28-11, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
No.
Really? What was it then?

Wikipedia does say this:

All in the Family was the first major American series to be videotaped in front of a live studio audience. At the time, sitcoms were shot with multiple cameras on film in front of an audience (like Mary Tyler Moore and The Dick Van Dyke Show), and the 1960s had seen a growing number of sitcoms filmed on soundstages without audiences, with a laugh track simulating audience response. After the success of All in the Family, videotaping sitcoms in front of an audience became common format for the genre during the '70s. However, the use of videotape also gave All in the Family the look and feel of the classic sitcoms of early television, which had been performed live before a studio audience (including the original live broadcasts of The Honeymooners, to which All in the Family is sometimes compared).
Old 01-28-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HUG-H
Really? What was it then?

Wikipedia does say this:

All in the Family was the first major American series to be videotaped in front of a live studio audience. At the time, sitcoms were shot with multiple cameras on film in front of an audience (like Mary Tyler Moore and The Dick Van Dyke Show), and the 1960s had seen a growing number of sitcoms filmed on soundstages without audiences, with a laugh track simulating audience response. After the success of All in the Family, videotaping sitcoms in front of an audience became common format for the genre during the '70s. However, the use of videotape also gave All in the Family the look and feel of the classic sitcoms of early television, which had been performed live before a studio audience (including the original live broadcasts of The Honeymooners, to which All in the Family is sometimes compared).
Doctor Who was shot on videotape from the start of its run in 1963. That's just off the top of my head.
Old 01-28-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Doctor Who was shot on videotape from the start of its run in 1963. That's just off the top of my head.
HUG-H doesn't have the qualifier, but Who doesn't contradict the Wikipedia article: "first major American series".
Old 01-28-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chew
HUG-H doesn't have the qualifier, but Who doesn't contradict the Wikipedia article: "first major American series".
Oh, I know, but I was answering his original question.
Old 01-28-11, 10:19 AM

^MY bad--I was only thinking of shows here in general. I had really never seen in detail any of the early Dr. Who shows except they used to show it here in CT on PBS and I did catch one in the late 80's, but I should have been more specific.
Old 01-28-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Norman Lear's father called Norman "the laziest white man he knew." But his old man must have been wrong because Norman did not just one pilot and failed, not just two pilots and failed, but three! Talk about perserverance! How many pilots can one do rejection after rejection?
Old 01-29-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I read somewhere that Richard Dreyfuss campaigned hard to get the role of "Mike Stivic," but Norman Lear was set with Reiner for the role.
So set that he shot two or three pilots without him!