Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol -- Season 10 Auditions Thread -- Wednesday/Thursday on FOX

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: American Idol -- Season 10 Auditions Thread -- Wednesday/Thursday on FOX

Jennifer Lopez is actually starting to grow on me. I hate her as an actress and a singer and thought she would be the worst AI judge but she's becoming likeable.
Old 01-23-11, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by QuikSilver
Jennifer Lopez is actually starting to grow on me. I hate her as an actress and a singer and thought she would be the worst AI judge but she's becoming likeable.
True for me, I actively avoid her movies and songs, so I was wary of her on AI, but I'm slowly becoming inured with the idea that my viewing can co-exist with her presence on the show for now.
Old 01-23-11, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think I've listened to a J.Lo song since... 97/98? I liked her in Out of Touch, but I think most of her movies lately have been romantic comedies. Still, if I had to choose, I'd pick her as an actress way more than a singer. What's interesting, is that neither was her background -- she was a dancer. I have to give her props for taking on those 3 different areas of entertainment like that. And she is hot. There's a kind of J.Lo backlash, so she doesn't get as much mention these days, but it is what it is. She's hot.
Old 01-23-11, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by QuikSilver
When you say singer it truly depends on whether or not you are talking about her English or Spanish. She has some great Spanish songs both solo and duets. There is a duet she performed with her husband called Escapemonos. There is an original slow version which is very nice then a faster Salsa version. Whether or not you understand Spanish or not, it is still not hard to appreciate the song and many others by her in the Latin world.

Last edited by djones6746; 01-23-11 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-24-11, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen only parts of the auditions - I don't know. They still need a "mean judge" which was the original premise of the three judges: Simon was the "mean judge", Paula was the "nice judge", and Randy was the impartial one / tiebreaker. Worked great. One of them has to step up and be the "mean" one.

Anyway, I really think that the issue I have is with the editing. They are showing many more of the ones who go through, so yes, we are seeing some marginal ones. Remember that only 30 or 40 from each City are going through, not that many more than previous years. And in the end they'll be giving us twenty singers to vote on.

If anybody is curious, right now there are 40 finalists still "alive". In mid-February they will all go back to Hollywood where they will be cut down to the final 20... hopefully live. The top 20 will perform (ten guys / ten girls), I assume on different nights, and we will vote on them. The top 5 boys, top 5 girls, and two judges' wild cards advance and that's your Top 12.

So... who is in the Top 40?

Here they are: (picture)
Spoiler:

Rachel Zevita is apparently no longer in the Top 40 - she had a music scholorship that conflicted with the show, she went with the school and dropped out.

She was the one from the New Jersey audition with a really high voice, that Jennifer Lopez said that she and Marc remembered from when she (Zevita) auditioned in '06.

And a list (with links to facebook / youtube videos, etc): http://www.joesplaceblog.com/america...tant-listings/
Old 01-24-11, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I watched the Thursday episode earlier today and so far noone really stood out as awesome. But, I did like the final girl with the physically challenged daughter. Her voice was almost spot on to Carrie Underwood when she did that song. I know Randy, Jennifer and Steven loved the red head guy Brett and I did find his voice unique, but I thought he was really strange looking and had odd mannerisms.
Old 01-24-11, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I know Randy, Jennifer and Steven loved the red head guy Brett and I did find his voice unique, but I thought he was really strange looking and had odd mannerisms.
Maybe he'll be the next Joe Cocker
Old 01-26-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

2 more hours tonight

Milwaukee and Nashville are the stops.
Old 01-26-11, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That opening was cool
Old 01-26-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That last guy's story was heart breaking. Glad he made it.
Old 01-26-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to cut out before it showed, what was the story?
Old 01-26-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
I had to cut out before it showed, what was the story?
Dude got engaged to his hot girlfriend and they planned to marry in two years. Two months before the wedding she was in a car crash that left her brain damaged & in a coma for 6 weeks. He stuck by her & he and her mother are her caregivers. After the audition they brought her in to meet the judges and let him know he was going to Hollywood in front of her.

I wasn't sure Steven Tyler was going to be a good fit, but damn I'm liking this guy.
Old 01-26-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I wasn't sure Steven Tyler was going to be a good fit, but damn I'm liking this guy.
Not me. Tonight, for the first time in ten seasons, I turned it off halfway through. And it was because of Tyler.
Old 01-26-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I would have passed 15-year-old True Colors girl easily. She was better than others they've put through and I liked the little edge in her voice.
Old 01-26-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

omg that black girl was pissed off and thought the judges did not give her a pass to Hollywood cause she big/fat lmao omg that was hilarious!
Old 01-27-11, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Notes:

While there has not been a "blown away" moment" for me this season, I will say that it has been very, very enjoyable. I like they they have focused more on the actual contestants instead of the side shows (I find them cruel).

While Tyler has been repetitive, he has been accurate. The new judges are too forgiving, but of course, that's going to have to end very soon. Lopez has been a...meh. Doesn't really do anything pro or con.

I've enjoyed the songs the contestants have picked more than other years.

The student teacher in the Milwaukee tryouts has been the real, REAL, standout for me so far. The low bass country singer was kind of....uhhh...damn.

Never heard of "The Script" before this year's AI. Their songs are pretty decent.

They are bringing in TONS of 15 year old talent that really needs time to develop. That was a big mistake. When you see 22 year olds achieving with marginal talent (not undeserved) and look at what these kids could do with two or three years of priming, it's a shame.
Old 01-27-11, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I would have passed 15-year-old True Colors girl easily. She was better than others they've put through and I liked the little edge in her voice.
She had a little Regina Spektor in her voice. But JLo was right. She ain't ready, and won't make the 24.

The girl is talented though.
Old 01-27-11, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Steven Tyler looks like he loves every song he hears...I think they are sending way to many through. The one accountant guy seeing The Scripts "Man that Can't be Moved" was horrible.
Old 01-27-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That girl Emma (True Colors) is not ready for prime time, and her vocals were on the meekish/weakish side. But she's photogenic, and it's only a plane ticket and hotel costs.

The last dude's story pulled hard on the heartstrings, and I was relieved that he could actually sing so he'd go on to the next phase.

Didn't like the wedding singer (the first one).

Too bad Nashville Star is in the tank, that kid with the ridiculously low country voice is not right for AI, but could make it in Nashville with the right exposure and management.
Old 01-27-11, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by astrochimp
That last guy's story was heart breaking. Glad he made it.
Was there ever any doubt? He'll be in the Top 12 and probably the Top 6, if not Top 3.
Old 01-27-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Dude got engaged to his hot girlfriend and they planned to marry in two years. Two months before the wedding she was in a car crash that left her brain damaged & in a coma for 6 weeks. He stuck by her & he and her mother are her caregivers. After the audition they brought her in to meet the judges and let him know he was going to Hollywood in front of her.

His name is Chris Medina, and his fiancee is Juliana Ramos. She went to my school and we have a few mutual friends, though we never hung out. My girlfriend and I did go to her benefit, however. There must have been a thousand people there.

The For Juliana facebook group has exploded a little bit with the latest developments. Best of luck to the both of them.
Old 01-27-11, 02:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Miss Simon but I'm liking Steven Tyler.

It was hard not to get teary-eyed hearing Chris Medina's story.
Old 01-27-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
That girl Emma (True Colors) is not ready for prime time, and her vocals were on the meekish/weakish side. But she's photogenic, and it's only a plane ticket and hotel costs.
Her voice was weak and wispy. She also sounded of course nervous so she was a bit out of tune IMO. She should not have made it through. Anyway, nice to see her parents and sister trusting enough to let a 15 year old with a learner's permit drive all the way from Colorado to Wisconsin on one of the most biggest and probably nerve wrecking days of her life.

Edit: I just hope Chris doesn't turn into Danny dead wife Gokey II
Old 01-27-11, 07:23 PM

Stormy produced a throbbing sensation in my nether region.
Old 01-27-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
Stormy produced a throbbing sensation in my nether region.
for Randy and Steven seeing her talent(s).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.