Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

PBS Masterpiece Classic -- Downton Abbey

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic -- Downton Abbey

Couldn't that be a result of the season actually ending on Sunday night? If you were posting stuff a few weeks ago it might not have even been halfway through.
Old 02-18-13, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Look at all of these non-spoiler posts and Marginal is no where to be found with his/her pissy fits about them. And yet my vague comments weeks ago sent him/her into a tizzy.
You don't need spoiler tags once the episodes air in the US.
Old 02-19-13, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care one way or another if Matthew continues on the show however two major deaths in a season is asking a bit much. And after all the death, we still have to tolerate Branson.

One thing I love about the show is the outings. I love how they film the fox hunt and the "sporting life" scenes.
Old 02-21-13, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the Christmas special will air in the US? The PBS description for next week on my DirecTV guide looks like a replay of the finale.
Old 02-21-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

While the Christmas special was filmed and shown seperately in the UK, it was shown in the US *as* the Season 3 finale, so it was shown last week, and is also the replay you're referring to.
Old 02-21-13, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Merry Christmas! Now look at Matthew with blood pouring out of his ear, you bloody wankers!
Old 02-21-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dan Stevens sure is hated by many right now.
Old 02-22-13, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamblast
While the Christmas special was filmed and shown seperately in the UK, it was shown in the US *as* the Season 3 finale, so it was shown last week, and is also the replay you're referring to.
Ah, gotcha.
Old 02-22-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
You don't need spoiler tags once the episodes air in the US.
My comment was a joke. But you're assuming everyone saw the episodes in the U.S. Or elsewhere for that matter. People still use spoilers talking about movies months even years after it was released in theaters. Isn't that the protocol (?)
Old 02-22-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

But you're assuming everyone saw the episodes in the U.S. Or elsewhere for that matter. People still use spoilers talking about movies months even years after it was released in theaters. Isn't that the protocol (?)
If you are talking about a show in a thread unrelated to that show, then use spoiler tags. If you are talking about a show in a thread about that show or movie, then protocol is that you don't use spoiler tags once it has aired in the US.
Old 02-23-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I don't care one way or another if Matthew continues on the show however two major deaths in a season is asking a bit much. And after all the death, we still have to tolerate Branson.
So you dislike Branson? I like him. In fact, I remember how curious I was to see how the Crawleys were going to treat him when he and Sybil came home for Mary's wedding. Same thing now that Sybil's dead and he's been made the agent of Downton Abbey. Will he and Robert continue to clash over every little thing or will Robert give him a break now that he's Robert's only son-in-law (and also because he doesn't want Branson moving away with the Little Sybil)? I'm looking forward to these answers in Season 4.
Old 02-24-13, 04:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

man, what a way to end the season. I had already learned that he wanted off the show, but wasn't sure how they were going to do it. But when i saw the car, i knew he was a goner . Going to be weird next season without Matthew
Old 02-24-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Did anyone else find the resolution to Thomas' situation rather ridiculous?

1. Bates goes to great lengths to help him, despite their HUGELY adversarial relationship.
2. Lord Grantham, who is otherwise quite conservative, shrugs off Thomas' homosexuality as if it's nothing, and in spite of the fact that one of Thomas' jobs was to help dress him every day.
3. Not only is this at least the 2nd (third) time that Thomas is kept on staff despite overwhelming reason to get rid of him, but he also ends up with a PROMOTION in the end?

Don't get me wrong; I actually love the character (and Miss O'Brien too... they make great villains), but the writing here in order to keep him on the show was really stretching it.
Old 02-24-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix

1. Bates goes to great lengths to help him, despite their HUGELY adversarial relationship.
2. Lord Grantham, who is otherwise quite conservative, shrugs off Thomas' homosexuality as if it's nothing, and in spite of the fact that one of Thomas' jobs was to help dress him every day.
3. Not only is this at least the 2nd (third) time that Thomas is kept on staff despite overwhelming reason to get rid of him, but he also ends up with a PROMOTION in the end?

Don't get me wrong; I actually love the character (and Miss O'Brien too... they make great villains), but the writing here in order to keep him on the show was really stretching it.
Yes, I thought it was stretching it when Bates tried so hard to help Thomas. As far as Robert shrugging off Thomas' sexuality despite being very conservative, you have a point. Then again, maybe Robert can accept it easier than, say, someone practicing Catholicism because one is a choice and the other isn't. And Thomas' promotion? At first it bugged me, but then I remembered that Carson acted like the title of underbutler wasn't really a big deal. I forget his exact words, but he made light of it.
Old 02-24-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix

I thought the same thing. It has to do with today's acceptance of homosexuality as being the norm and Hollywood bending over backwards trying to accommodate it.

It is also VERY HYPOCRITICAL the way Edith was treated. here is a woman who, for the sake of her son, allowed herself to become a prostitute to support him. When she realized that that was not a good life for her son, she gave up that lifestyle -- AND HER SON. All the hypocrites could see was that she had once been a prostitute and she was shunned. However, not only did they look the other way at Thomas' homosexuality, they defended his actions. I guess they would not have hesitated to "cast the first stone", while at the same time swallowing a camel.
Old 02-24-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I thought the same thing. It has to do with today's acceptance of homosexuality as being the norm and Hollywood bending over backwards trying to accommodate it.

It is also VERY HYPOCRITICAL the way Edith was treated. here is a woman who, for the sake of her son, allowed herself to become a prostitute to support him. When she realized that that was not a good life for her son, she gave up that lifestyle -- AND HER SON. All the hypocrites could see was that she had once been a prostitute and she was shunned. However, not only did they look the other way at Thomas' homosexuality, they defended his actions. I guess they would not have hesitated to "cast the first stone", while at the same time swallowing a camel.
I think you mean Ethel. Edith is one of Robert's daughters.
Old 02-24-13, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah, he meant Ethel.

You know, not too long ago, Lord Grantham surprisedly asked Thomas, "Are you not popular downstairs?" He's detatched enough not to know how Thomas is perceived among his peers, and yet is fully aware of Thomas' homosexuality?

I'm probably being overly critical. I still love the show. But the third season just didn't live up to the standard of the first two.
Old 03-03-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Just finished up this weekend...

I've avoided this thread since December b/c of all of the little subtle allusion spoilers. Unfortunately, it's difficult not to know what's going on when places like EW post giant pictures of actors and then put in the text don't read if you don't want to be spoiled. Uh...ok, but there's a giant picture of Dan Stevens with the header actor may not be back for season four.

The producers and show runners can put whatever face on it that they want to but killing Matthew Crawley is a blow. It's a blow that I'm not sure the show can recover from.

As someone who has never liked Branson and never for a second bought his romance with Sybil, if Jessica Findlay Brown truly wanted off the show, I just wish they would have left them in Ireland to leave the door open for her. Now we're stuck with him w/o her.

Looks like Siobhan Finneran won't be back for season four either. I wonder if they'll just send her to Bombay.
Old 08-12-13, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I admit the first episode intrigued me but right from the second episode I got the funny feeling this was nothing but a Lifetime Original Series masquerading with an English accent. After finishing the first season, I felt sadly correct. I decided to read spoilers for seasons 2 and 3 and am glad I did because I would have hated to have wasted my time watching the rest of it. I honestly don't get the love heaped on this show.
Old 08-12-13, 09:57 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Comparing Downton Abbey to a Lifetime movie is like comparing Chekhov to Jersey Shore.

Julian Fellowes is a genius who created an entire world which everyone involved with the show does a remarkable job of bringing to life. The production value alone makes it worth watching if only to see what life was like in the early 1900's in the U.K.

There are multiple storylines juggling 24 major characters which overlap and typically come together to resolve themselves. Its a complex rich experience not unlike real life.

Not least of all you have some of the best British acting talent of today.

But it all comes down to storytelling and I suppose you either like it or you don't.

I hate to sound like a snob but if you find the storylines on Downton Abbey boring then I recommend you stick to watching 'Big Bang Theory, Two and Half Men' and any number of shows on the Fox Channel.
Old 08-12-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

The back and forth with Bates being on trial is laughable at best and the timeline is inconsistent. I like the show, and revisit portions well after seasons end, but man.

Also you suppose it's "like it or you don't" and yet you insult him for not liking the show and put words in his mouth about what he watches?

Last edited by bluetoast; 08-12-13 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-12-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Anyhoo, is Upstairs, Downstairs any better or far too similar to this show for me to enjoy?

Originally Posted by bluesix
I hate to sound like a snob but if you find the storylines on Downton Abbey boring then I recommend you stick to watching 'Big Bang Theory, Two and Half Men' and any number of shows on the Fox Channel.
It's okay, you're a snob. And I don't like either of those shows.

Honestly, Downton Abbey simply spins its wheels with the same stock storylines over and over again. I kept hoping Thomas would get Bates killed during the first season only because I could spot the endless back-and-forth that was to happen there. The show is cheesy melodrama that happens to be blessed with a fantastic cast (who are the sole reason I stuck through season 1). And Julian Fellows is nothing special. Strip him of his cast and his storylines fail to shine in the slightest.
Old 10-01-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched episode #1 of S4. Great start! It's still one of the best shows on television.
Old 10-01-13, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Just watched episode #1 of S4. Great start! It's still one of the best shows on television.

Yeah, enjoyed it. Looking forward to the rest this season.
Old 10-15-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All caught up now. Just finished EP4, S4. This is one great season. EP3/S4 was the darkest this show has ever gone. Such a great series. I never want this to end.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.