Old 01-04-11, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
No Ordinary Family -- "No Ordinary Friends" -- 1/04/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-03

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
After Jim saves Dave Cotten's (Ricky Schroder) life, he and Stephanie become fast friends with Dave, his wife, Michelle (Annie Wersching) and their kids. But Jim begins to suspect that the Cottens may be leading their own secret lives. Meanwhile, Daphne throws her hat into the high school ring for student council president, and Katie reveals a secret to Stephanie about her relationship with Joshua - aka The Watcher. And Chaka is still a creepy kid.

Episode 11 of 22

to 2 former 24 cast members guest starring:
Rick Schroder aka Mike Doyle
Annie Wersching aka Renee Walker

Written by Ali Adler & Marc Guggenheim
Directed by Terry McDonough

New time 8pm. Unfortunately it's the lead-in for "V" at 9pm and I would rather have a stronger show be "V"'s lead-in.
Old 01-05-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: No Ordinary Family -- "No Ordinary Friends" -- 1/04/11

That had to be the quickest resolution to a cliffhanger I've ever seen. Most shows would have dragged out Daphne's memory wipe for at least a whole episode.

I figured that the wife knew about the art heists, just not that she was the one stealing them. I got thrown for a loop there.

Katie being a virgin ranks pretty high on the suspend disbelief spectrum. I know they tried to explain it by Katie saying that she decided in high school that she was going to wait for the one, but I find it extremely hard to believe that someone that looks like her would have been able to wait. Then again, she is a Star Wars geek.....albeit an extremely hot one.

How soon until Katie tells Stephanie that "Joshua" had her diary?
Old 01-05-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why didn't the Art Thief Guy make sure his conspirator was dead? And why didn't he shoot Steph? The whole resolution to that plot was sloppy.

I liked the ep otherwise. It'll be interesting to see where the Katie storyline goes.

Chaka found himself a helluva wingman; that girl should be way out of his league.
Old 01-05-11, 06:35 PM
ATX

i watched this shit for 20+ minutes before i realized who the red head friend was, lol
Old 01-05-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ATX
i watched this shit for 20+ minutes before i realized who the red head friend was, lol
Yep..Rene is back from the dead.

I enjoyed this ep very much. I realize some people do not like this show but I have enjoyed it all season for the most part. JJ is even becoming somewhat bearable to watch.
Old 01-05-11, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
That had to be the quickest resolution to a cliffhanger I've ever seen. Most shows would have dragged out Daphne's memory wipe for at least a whole episode.
Yeah, that was great.
Her memory's wiped out!
Touch hands, her memory's back!
I liked how she remembered things at which she wasn't even present when they happened.

Kind of a surprise how Joshua's conscience suddenly took hold of him. He's been pretty cold blooded so far, like when he killed the female detective.
Old 01-06-11, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Her memory's wiped out!
Touch hands, her memory's back!
I liked how she remembered things at which she wasn't even present when they happened.
That's because they weren't her memories. They were her family's memories.
Old 01-06-11, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

She showed that she can see some of the memories of the people she touched when a friend of hers from school was a witness to a home invasion robbery.
Old 01-06-11, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
That's because they weren't her memories. They were her family's memories.
I'm just being nitpicky. However, why would Jim's memory of stopping the train be viewed from the side, like a camera? Wouldn't his memory be of his POV?
Old 01-06-11, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm just being nitpicky. However, why would Jim's memory of stopping the train be viewed from the side, like a camera? Wouldn't his memory be of his POV?
Because this is TV and that's how shit is done.
Old 01-06-11, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really trying to like this show but the writing is just sloppy. Also they never resolved what happened with the kids. Did they move away? How did they react finding out their new friend's parents got their mother shot and arrested? Did the daughter ever win the election?
Old 01-06-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I'm really trying to like this show but the writing is just sloppy. Also they never resolved what happened with the kids. Did they move away? How did they react finding out their new friend's parents got their mother shot and arrested? Did the daughter ever win the election?
I liked this episode more than most others but these issues and the fact that they still turned in the mom when they could have just let her off the hook (she took a bullet for Julie Benz for cryin' out loud) irked me to no end.
Old 01-07-11, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Let me get this straight. A baddy thought Darla was a cop, tried to shoot het, and instead shot the friend. Then, instead of finishing Darla off, he just leaves her as a witness and drives off.

Great storywriting.
Old 01-07-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really? THAT'S your beef with the show? How did some microbes give them super powers? I love how you selectively have no problems with the large things and are overly "knitpicky" with others. Did you expect someone else to be like "yeah! That sucks!"? Sorry, those folks have already abandoned this show or never even watched it.

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
;10575904]Let me get this straight. A baddy thought Darla was a cop, tried to shoot het, and instead shot the friend.
I thought she blocked Stephanie and took the bullet. Am I mistaken?

I'm glad there is an arc going finally, I just hope it isn't too late to save the show in the ratings.

I'm curious about the quick resolution of the mind wipe too. However, I think this will come back for the family to "add up" later in the season along with the missing diary.