Old 12-15-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Friday Night Lights -- "Perfect Record" -- 12/15/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-10-27

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Team secrets are exposed on a Web site during rivalry week; Vince feels torn between Coach Taylor and his dad; and Billy makes a connection with Luke.

Episode 7 of 13

Just watched the last 2 episodes in HD for the 1st time (Just got a 2nd HDTV over the weekend) and downloaded the episodes off Directv 101 On Demand. I'm pretty used to watching the show in SD, but it looks pretty good. A little grainy, but I like watching it in widescreen.
Old 12-16-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday Night Lights -- "Perfect Record" -- 12/15/10

Thought it was pretty decent, a little slow but good. The thing with Vince's dad--great acting, troublesome turn, and I see it all ending badly.

Really surprised Coach's wife didn't say a word to the TA.
Old 12-16-10, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess the McCoys left town (and took the previous coach with them).
Old 12-16-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The scene with Tami and the TA was intense even though she didn't say anything. Connie Britton is good at the icy glare.

My theory on the McCoys is that the boosters fired Wade after last season and they headed out of town because they could no longer buy their way with the boosters.
Old 12-27-10, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just got caught up with the last 3 episodes including this one leading into the break.

This was another solid one. I was puzzled why JD wasn't the QB for West Dillon and Wade wasn't head coach. ^^ I guess those theories do make sense. I had to laugh at Vince throwing the 65-yard TD in garbage time to run up the score and piss everyone off.

It was nice seeing Scott Porter again as Jason Street, but I don't think he really added anything to this story other than getting an update for his character.

Cress Williams has done a really good job playing Vince's father. Loved the scene when he kicked the shit out of the thug bullying Vince for the money.

Hopefully now that Becky and Luke have "hooked up" that she will stop her fascination with Tim.

Also, how does Jess go from being the East Dillon cheerleader to towel girl? And now she wants to go to college and be a football towel girl again? The whole recommendation letter thing was silly.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-27-10 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-27-10, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Hopefully now that Becky and Luke have "hooked up" that she will stop her fascination with Tim.

Also, how does Jess go from being the East Dillon cheerleader to towel girl? And now she wants to go to college and be a football towel girl again? The whole recommendation letter thing was silly.
From what I've observed about female fans of FNL, I didn't think it was possible for a girl not to be fascinated with Tim Riggins.

Jess is a girl that loves and understands football better than most boys. Last year, when the Lions sucked and were a joke, she supported and connected with the team by cheerleading --and girls who wanted to be cheerleaders for a team of losers were probably few in number.

Now that the Lions are good and everybody knows it, they were probably turning girls away at cheerleader tryouts, and Jess realized that dancing on the sidelines wasn't how she wanted to be a part of the team.

She has the skills to potentially become a coach, but she's female. Being the equipment manager is a concrete way for her to be a part of the team. And her being "in the organization" paid off when she tipped Billy to what Tinker was doing wrong (but of course she didn't get the credit).

And you misunderstood about the recommendation. It was for a staff position at summer football camp held at Baylor. I don't know what she expects to be doing there, but I guarantee she will be the only girl --and I'm sure you know about HS kids seeking attention-getting activities for their college applications.
Old 12-27-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
From what I've observed about female fans of FNL, I didn't think it was possible for a girl not to be fascinated with Tim Riggins.

Jess is a girl that loves and understands football better than most boys. Last year, when the Lions sucked and were a joke, she supported and connected with the team by cheerleading --and girls who wanted to be cheerleaders for a team of losers were probably few in number.

Now that the Lions are good and everybody knows it, they were probably turning girls away at cheerleader tryouts, and Jess realized that dancing on the sidelines wasn't how she wanted to be a part of the team.

She has the skills to potentially become a coach, but she's female. Being the equipment manager is a concrete way for her to be a part of the team. And her being "in the organization" paid off when she tipped Billy to what Tinker was doing wrong (but of course she didn't get the credit).

And you misunderstood about the recommendation. It was for a staff position at summer football camp held at Baylor. I don't know what she expects to be doing there, but I guarantee she will be the only girl --and I'm sure you know about HS kids seeking attention-getting activities for their college applications.
Good observation...thanks. I did misunderstand Jess' intentions with the recommendation from Eric.
Old 12-28-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When does this come back? Just marathoned through most of the season last week, loving it so far.
Old 12-28-10, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
When does this come back? Just marathoned through most of the season last week, loving it so far.
I'm pretty sure the previews for the next episode stated it returns on January 5th
Old 05-28-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Coach Taylor takes Dillon to state two out of three years only to be fired in a power play by Joe McCoy, who then leaves a year later and takes his hot shit junior QB son somewhere else. It sounds like the Dillon fans kind of got hoodwinked by the McCoys.

Why would Buddy still be on the East Dillon bandwagon now that Joe McCoy is out of his Dillon booster club? He bled Panther blue.
Old 05-30-11, 07:58 AM
Banned

After an On Demand debacle in which Charter aired next week's episode & labeled it "Episode Two", we are finally caught up on FNL.

Have really enjoyed the last few episodes. The greedy father tweaking Taylor is good. The frustration with the Taylors in trying to figure out how to handle Julie is good. Lots of nice moments, and seeing Coach T's exhortation to his players to 'focus' during practice and 'punish' on Friday backfire was good. Billy Riggin's character is always good...he & Buddy really bring it. Female characters still need some work...the two girlfriends are largely wasted, although the writers keep trying to give them bits (the pageant, the manager's job, etc.).

Still have to occasionally suspend disbelief. Eric still lets his star QB & Daddy Con run over him & defy him in games, skipping practices, having potentially illegal contacts with colleges, etc. Maybe it's building to a benching, but it's not looking good right now. I'd like to see Eric put his foot down...he had enough bad experiences with the McCoys...you'd think he'd have put the quietus on this problem before it got to this point.

One other question: How in the world did poor, cash-strapped East Dillon...which can't even afford to grow some turf on their field during the off-season...manage to afford a two-night hotel stay during their recent road trip? I think my wife noted that they were staying two to a room, also...when they could have thrown four in a room.

If ED was hurting for money as much as the show allows, who footed the huge bill for this trip? I think the head assistant mentioned a '5-hour ride' to the game. If that happened at most schools, the team would load up early in the morning and arrive around mid-morning. They'd have time for a good lunch, a walk-through, and a little downtime for the game. Why did they need to arrive the night before?

Also, if the athletic dept. had so little money, they'd probably have loaded up after the game & slept on the bus going back home. Their folks would pick them up early in the morning when they got back home & the players could sleep late on Saturday.

It makes no sense that a school which has been portrayed as so poor that the coach has to take out a loan to get uniforms would spend money so extravagantly...unless the writers just wanted an easy excuse to show them drinking, branding each other, etc. Given the player's past rap sheets & the coach's lack of supervision, they were lucky not have several arrested.
Old 05-30-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's TEXAS! Football comes before food, shelter and clothing.
They did fundraising! They did car washes, they stood on corners and shook the cans. People didn't pay their rent or mortgages, they didn't feed their kids for a week, they instead donated money to the ED football team.
Old 05-30-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
So Coach Taylor takes Dillon to state two out of three years only to be fired in a power play by Joe McCoy, who then leaves a year later and takes his hot shit junior QB son somewhere else. It sounds like the Dillon fans kind of got hoodwinked by the McCoys.

Why would Buddy still be on the East Dillon bandwagon now that Joe McCoy is out of his Dillon booster club? He bled Panther blue.
Yep the Dillon fans were hoodwinked by the McCoys. I always found it strange how someone who wasn't a Dillon native managed to have the control over the boosters. I think with Buddy he still remained mad at some of the Panthers boosters for how they sided with McCoy and I think Buddy thinks highly of his friendship with Eric.