DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Golden Globes for 2010 (Nominations on 12/14; Show on 1/16) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/583418-golden-globes-2010-nominations-12-14%3B-show-1-16-a.html)

zekeburger1979 12-14-10 07:59 AM

Golden Globes for 2010 (Nominations on 12/14; Show on 1/16)

Best Television Series - Drama

Boardwalk Empire
Dexter
The Good Wife
Mad Men
The Walking Dead

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama

Julianna Margulies - The Good Wife
Elisabeth Moss - Mad Men
Piper Perabo - Covert Affairs
Katey Sagal - Sons of Anarchy
Kyra Sedgwick - The Closer

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama

Steve Buscemi - Boardwalk Empire
Bryan Cranston - Breaking Bad
Michael C. Hall - Dexter
Jon Hamm - Mad Men
Hugh Laurie - House

Best Television Series - Comedy or Musical

30 Rock
The Big Bang Theory
The Big C
Glee
Modern Family
Nurse Jackie

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Comedy or Musical

Toni Collette - United States of Tara
Edie Falco - Nurse Jackie
Tina Fey - 30 Rock
Laura Linney - The Big C
Lea Michele - Glee

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Comedy or Musical

Alec Baldwin - 30 Rock
Steve Carell - The Office
Thomas Jane - Hung
Matthew Morrison - Glee
Jim Parsons - The Big Bang Theory

Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Teleivision

Carlos
The Pacific
Pillars of the Earth
Temple Grandin
You Don't Know Jack

Best Performance by an Actress in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Hayley Atwell - Pillars of the Earth
Claire Danes - Temple Grandin
Judi Dench - Return to Cranford
Romola Garai - Emma
Jennifer Love Hewitt - The Client List

Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Idris Elba - Luther
Ian McShane - Pillars of the Earth
Al Pacino - You Don't Know Jack
Dennis Quaid - The Special Relationship
Edgar Ramirez - Carlos

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Teleivision

Hope Davis - The Special Relationship
Jame Lynch - Glee
Kelly Macdonald - Boardwalk Empire
Julia Stiles - Dexter
Sofia Vergara - Modern Family

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Scott Caan - Hawaii Five-O
Chris Colfer - Glee
Chris Noth - The Good Wife
Eric Stonestreet - Modern Family
David Strathairn - Temple Grandin

RichC2 12-14-10 08:24 AM

Re: Golden Globes for 2010 (Nominations on 12/14; Show on 1/16)

No Breaking Bad for Best Drama? Weak.

Piper Perabo got a nom for Covert Affairs?

mdc3000 12-14-10 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 10543544)

I was thinking the same thing until I was looking at the nominees. Really, it was a foregone conclusion that Boardwalk Empire would have to bump a returning favourite and with the exception of Dexter, all the other shows have had spectacular seasons and are easily worthy. Dexter had a good season but took about 4 eps to get going - that said, it still ended up being pretty damn good, so even though I'd have preferred Breaking Bad, I really can't begrudge that nod....

Red Dog 12-14-10 08:50 AM

Piper Perabo? Really?! I mean I watched Covert Affairs. It's alright, but I never imagined it as award material. Is the talent pool of female actresses on tv just that weak? What about someone like Connie Britton?

northmoor 12-14-10 08:51 AM

can someone tell me about "The Good Wife". I've seen it rated somewhat highly, and some reviews talk aobut how "realistic" it is in its portrayals. I watched the first 5-8 episodes of the show last year, and thought it was anything but realistic. Did the show somehow get a lot better, or maybe it's just me. Perhaps the show is just not for me.

Seems like a travesty not to have the last season of Breaking Bad as a nominee, but to have The Good Wife.

And, although I really enjoyed The Walking Dead, it wasn't that great that it should get a nomination over the last season of Breaking Bad when Dead only had 6 episodes. If it had a real full season of say 10 or 13 shows, then no problem. But it doesn't seem warranted with just this abbreviated 6 episode first season, although I'd much prefer it's 6 ep season to The Good Wife.

But, to me it will come down to another really good season of Mad Men versus the newcomer Boardwalk Empire. Although, Dexter was once again really good.

northmoor 12-14-10 09:07 AM

It was also interesting to see AFI's list of the Top 10 tv shows for 2010 a few days ago:

AFI TELEVISION PROGRAMS OF THE YEAR

THE BIG C
BOARDWALK EMPIRE
BREAKING BAD
GLEE
MAD MEN
MODERN FAMILY
THE PACIFIC
TEMPLE GRANDIN
30 ROCK
THE WALKING DEAD

it's from AFI's site. I'd post a link, but I am not allowed. But, there were tons of news stories on it a few days back at numerous tv sites.

No The Good Wife there.

RichC2 12-14-10 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000 (Post 10543556)
I was thinking the same thing until I was looking at the nominees. Really, it was a foregone conclusion that Boardwalk Empire would have to bump a returning favourite and with the exception of Dexter, all the other shows have had spectacular seasons and are easily worthy. Dexter had a good season but took about 4 eps to get going - that said, it still ended up being pretty damn good, so even though I'd have preferred Breaking Bad, I really can't begrudge that nod....

I'd still rank it above Mad Men, Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire (which wasn't particularly impressive to me), and The Good Wife :shrug: Depends on the season of Dexter in competition for comment on that.

northmoor 12-14-10 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog (Post 10543578)
Piper Perabo? Really?! I mean I watched Covert Affairs. It's alright, but I never imagined it as award material. Is the talent pool of female actresses on tv just that weak? What about someone like Connie Britton?

I'd have to agree with that. I watched Covert Affairs as well, but don't see it or anyone's performance on there as award material. And, I really like Piper.

But, Friday Night Lights continues to get screwed in the nominations. I guess a significant number of people don't even want to watch it because they think it's about football. I know several female friends have told me just that. One finally started watching the DVD sets, and then couldn't get enough of it.

But, yes, I'd say Connie Britton deserve a nod. That's almost a no brainer. Heck, many of the performances on Friday Night Lights have been award worthy.

And, the latest season surely should get a nod, as well for best drama. I'm not sure what season would qualify for which year? Didn't season 4 air on DTV in the Fall of 2009 and then on NBC in the Spring of 2010. And, now season 5 is airing on DTV with NBC to follow next Spring.

Geofferson 12-14-10 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 10543544)

No love for Aaron Paul either. :grunt:

Rypro 525 12-14-10 10:24 AM

Nice to see Glee get 5 nods.

Deftones 12-14-10 10:37 AM

Eh. this means nothing. All the deserving folk (Breaking Bad specifically) will get their nods when it comes to the real award show; the emmy's.

Rypro 525 12-14-10 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10543783)
Eh. this means nothing. All the deserving folk (Breaking Bad specifically) will get their nods when it comes to the real award show; the emmy's.

won't it not be elegible for the next emmys since, the next season starts after the cut off period.

Goldberg74 12-14-10 10:47 AM

:up: to Scott Caan for Hawaii Five-O! :)

superfro 12-14-10 10:48 AM

Hope the Emmys has some folks show up that deserve the attention. (Raising Hope, Fringe, Community)

Scrumtrulescent 12-14-10 12:19 PM

I find it disappointing that Community continues to get no love from these awards that are suppose to recognize the best television has to offer (Emmy, Golden Globe), although I'm not really surprised.

Or maybe I'm just delusional in my belief that it's the best comedy on television right now. Based on the ratings, this could be true.

Hey, at least there's no "Two and a Half Men" nomination.

Obey The D 12-14-10 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Scrumtrulescent (Post 10543935)
I find it disappointing that Community continues to get no love from these awards that are suppose to recognize the best television has to offer (Emmy, Golden Globe), although I'm not really surprised.

Or maybe I'm just delusional in my belief that it's the best comedy on television right now. Based on the ratings, this could be

It's not just you. Community and Modern Family are easily my two favorite comedies. It's a shame that Community is getting killed by BBT In the ratings, because it's clearly the superior show IMO.

DJariya 12-14-10 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by northmoor (Post 10543580)
can someone tell me about "The Good Wife". I've seen it rated somewhat highly, and some reviews talk aobut how "realistic" it is in its portrayals. I watched the first 5-8 episodes of the show last year, and thought it was anything but realistic. Did the show somehow get a lot better, or maybe it's just me. Perhaps the show is just not for me.

I've watched every episode of The Good Wife and I think it's definitely one of the better dramas on TV being that it's only in it's sophomore season. It's a good mix of serialized character drama and procedural. Good cast, guest stars and production values.

Season 1 primarly dealt with 2 storylines during the course of the season:

Spoiler:
The Fallout of Peter Florrick's sex scandal and prison sentence.
Alicia Florrick adjusting to getting back to work as a lawyer after 10 years off to support her family.

Season 2 also has a serialized arc:

Spoiler:
Peter Florrick got out of prison and is now attempting to get re-elected as States Attorney General and has 2 primarly competitors.

I don't think it's just your standard blah lawyer procedural that we have so many of these days.

rkndkn 12-14-10 03:30 PM

The only one I really care about is there. . .KATEY SAGAL for SOA. :)

northmoor 12-14-10 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 10544013)
I've watched every episode of The Good Wife and I think it's definitely one of the better dramas on TV being that it's only in it's sophomore season. It's a good mix of serialized character drama and procedural. Good cast, guest stars and production values.

Season 1 primarly dealt with 2 storylines during the course of the season:

Spoiler:
The Fallout of Peter Florrick's sex scandal and prison sentence.
Alicia Florrick adjusting to getting back to work as a lawyer after 10 years off to support her family.

Season 2 also has a serialized arc:

Spoiler:
Peter Florrick got out of prison and is now attempting to get re-elected as States Attorney General and has 2 primarly competitors.

I don't think it's just your standard blah lawyer procedural that we have so many of these days.

Like I said, I watched the first 5-8 episodes of season 1. I couldn't watch any more. It was just too over-the-top for me in terms of being realistic.

Spoiler:
She comes out of retirement to resume her legal career. She gets a job as an associate attorney and has to compete against another young associate for the position, as I recall. She's almost immediately in court in a trial. That wasn't very realistic at all. They put her right into a high profile trial by herself. One episode she's representing plaintiff's in a huge civil case, and then the next episode she's defending a criminal in a high profile criminal case. It was just too much. Lawyers don't have that wide a specialty. It was like having a doctor show, and one episode the doctor is doing brain surgery and the next episode he's doing a heart transplant followed by plastic surgery in the next episode and then curing cancer followed by solving a crime in the forensics lab after examining a cadaver finding evidence that all the other pathologists somehow missed. I just couldn't take The Good Wife after those initial cases she was handling. And, I find it real ironic that some critics say how realistic the show is. It must be me though. A lot of people seem to rate it fairly high.

northmoor 12-14-10 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by rkndkn (Post 10544292)

I'd agree on this one. She's been excellent as Gemma, even with Kurt Sutter screwing up the third season. SOA was a real let down this past Fall, but Katey Sagal was really good and deserves the recognition. At least Kurt let his wife's talent shine.

MrX 12-14-10 05:03 PM

Good to see Pillars of the Earth get a nomination. It's a shame it has no chance of winning because it was much, much better than The Pacific.

Geofferson 12-14-10 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by MrX (Post 10544431)
Good to see Pillars of the Earth get a nomination.

Same goes for both Hayley Atwell and Ian McShane :up:

Goat3001 12-14-10 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Scrumtrulescent (Post 10543935)

Agreed 100%. Of the nominated shows I've only not seen The Big C and Nurse Jackie. The others I watch every week. Community is consistently funnier then all of them except Modern Family.

It particularly irks me that BBT got a nod over it. I watch BBT every week but it's not even close to the quality of Community and while BBT relies on the same jokes every week, Community goes balls out and tries something completely different every week and nails it every time.

superfro 12-14-10 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by rkndkn (Post 10544292)

Well...her nomination campaign was dubious at best.

n.phelge 12-14-10 06:00 PM

Scott Caan makes no sense as a choice, given Aaron Paul, John Noble, and other guys that are showing some range and nuance.