Dexter -- Season Finale -- "The Big One" -- 12/12/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter -- Season Finale -- "The Big One" -- 12/12/10

Old 12-13-10, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dexter -- Season Finale -- "The Big One" -- 12/12/10

Originally Posted by tbird2340
I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned.. What about the bloody crime scene at his old house? He never went back to clean that up (and it was a mess!).. I thought for sure that Cody, Aster, and the Grandparents were going to go to Rita's house for something and see that and that was going to be the cliffhanger..
What bloody mess at his old house? I thought Dexter and Lumen stopped hanging out there once they knew Jordan Chase was on to him.

Are you thinking of the mess at Emily's house?
Old 12-13-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was Emily's house?! That would make sense then.. I thought where Dexter went after killing Liddy was Rita's house to look for Lumen.

Thanks
Old 12-13-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

*There are numerous calls from Robocop to Quinn.
*Quinn's signatures are on the paperwork for the equipment found in Robocop's van.
*He asks for a lawyer and acts crazy suspicious.

Calls are just circumstanial - shows that Robo tried getting a hold of him.

It was Quinn's forged signature by Robo - I am sure there are tapes of Robo leaving the station with the equipment.

EVERY cop will tell a friend or themselves to say nothing to anyone and ask for an attorney immediately.
Old 12-13-10, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
They should have had an after-credits sequence where the magician shows up in the backyard of Rita's parents -- and nobody is there.
Old 12-13-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One other thing dropped - I thought Jordan got stabbed by Lumen. He seemed pretty fine to me.
Old 12-13-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With the blood not matching, there's no physical evidence... Everything else is circumstantial and was explained away. Anytime you are accused of a crime that serious, you should get a lawyer.
Old 12-13-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Poink
Am I the only one who doesn't see a post by Groucho in this entire thread??
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/10530062-post24.html
Old 12-13-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Shouldn't it seem like Quinn should now KNOW that Dexter killed Liddy? Quinn knows Liddy was surveilling Dexter, he knows the tapes are gone, he knows Liddy was calling him before he died about to make his big bust on Dexter.

Instead at the end, he just seemed so relieved that Dexter cleared him, he stopped being all suspicious of him. Although I guess that was Dexter's idea in clearing him.
Old 12-13-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
One other thing dropped - I thought Jordan got stabbed by Lumen. He seemed pretty fine to me.
Yeah, that sort of bothered me and my wife too, but we figured maybe she dropped it inside since there was a ton of blood from Chase dragging Emily.
Old 12-13-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
With the blood not matching, there's no physical evidence... Everything else is circumstantial and was explained away.
You don't think that the police could... oh I don't know... look for more evidence elsewhere? You think that they'd simply give up that quickly on a murder of another cop? "Well, we put in a few hours work. Job well done, lets consider this unsolvable and move on"...
Old 12-13-10, 10:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm guessing the knife was a plant from Jordan to further entice Dexter to come find him.
Old 12-13-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure, that works for me.

This is a pretty fun series.

Anybody notice that Jennifer Carpenter's right eye seems to bulge out more than her left?
Old 12-13-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Anybody notice that Jennifer Carpenter's right eye seems to bulge out more than her left?
That sort of thing will happen when you're fucking your brother.

Last edited by dino88; 12-13-10 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-13-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another plot hole, how did Dexter and Lumen remove the body without Deb seeing? Or maybe she did see them.
Old 12-13-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Shouldn't it seem like Quinn should now KNOW that Dexter killed Liddy? Quinn knows Liddy was surveilling Dexter, he knows the tapes are gone, he knows Liddy was calling him before he died about to make his big bust on Dexter.

Instead at the end, he just seemed so relieved that Dexter cleared him, he stopped being all suspicious of him. Although I guess that was Dexter's idea in clearing him.
I thought it was super obvious that Quinn KNOWS Dexter killed Liddy. The way they talked made it seem like that
Old 12-13-10, 11:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
You don't think that the police could... oh I don't know... look for more evidence elsewhere? You think that they'd simply give up that quickly on a murder of another cop? "Well, we put in a few hours work. Job well done, lets consider this unsolvable and move on"...
But the police didn't have anything to hold Quinn behind bars. As soon as the bloodwork cleared, if the police didn't let him go, Quinn's lawyer or police rep would have had a field day if the police tried to detain him.
Old 12-13-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Fandango
Another plot hole, how did Dexter and Lumen remove the body without Deb seeing? Or maybe she did see them.
Deb left. She didn't want to be a party to the removal of the body. She wasn't calling in Jordan's murder, she was calling in a lead on Eugene Greer's property.
Old 12-13-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geddlo
But the police didn't have anything to hold Quinn behind bars. As soon as the bloodwork cleared, if the police didn't let him go, Quinn's lawyer or police rep would have had a field day if the police tried to detain him.
I'm not talking about detaining him, I'm talking about investigating him and his relationship with Liddy. They aren't even suggesting that he might be a suspect or person of interest any more.

Phone calls from Liddy to Quinn right before the murder. Quinn's name on the paperwork for all the surveillance equipment. Quinn acting suspiciously. Oh wait, the tiny blood on the shoe wasn't Liddy's, and is probably just irrelevant to the case? Never mind, no point in asking Quinn any questions, he clearly isn't relevant to the murder case at all! Definitely no reason to ask him any questions! Really?
Old 12-13-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The episode was VERY anticlimactic. Whoever called the end in a previous thread being Harrison's birthday party in slow motion and Dexter's inner monologue saying something about being human was eerily right on the money, it made me crack up when it came on...and nicely done Masuka

I found myself being very annoyed by a piece of plastic hanging from the ceiling dividing Debra from Dexter and Lumen. The scene leading up to it was so tense I really wanted to have that pay off. I thought for sure Debra had caught them both when she comes in and sees Jordan strapped to the table.

As for the Quinn part, I loved the back and forth with him and Dexter on the boat on the way to the crime scene that the look on Quinn's face when Dexter says "Maybe something came back to bite him"

It showed Quinn deleting his voicemails from Liddy but wouldn't there also be voicemails on Liddy's phone from Quinn as well? Voicemails where Quinn is obviously really pissed off at Liddy? Just seemed wrapped up a little too nicely, but no major complaints from me. Who knows maybe it's something that will be brought up again in a future season.

Although I was very slightly disappointed with how anticlimactic the last episode was, some of unresolved story lines, (Santa Muerte killings) the LaGuerta/Bastista romance rears it's ugly head again, all in all it was a pretty solid season. It was a very lite comedown after the extreme high that was Season 4.
Old 12-13-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Do we know he was stabbed? There was blood on the knife, but it could have been a more surface wound.
Old 12-13-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned.. What about the bloody crime scene at his old house? He never went back to clean that up (and it was a mess!).. I thought for sure that Cody, Aster, and the Grandparents were going to go to Rita's house for something and see that and that was going to be the cliffhanger..

Also, the thing with Quinn getting off just because Dexter said it's not his blood.. SOOO LAME...

*There are numerous calls from Robocop to Quinn.
*Quinn's signatures are on the paperwork for the equipment found in Robocop's van.
*He asks for a lawyer and acts crazy suspicious.

Yet, Dexter says the blood isn't his so he must be innocent!

Also really didn't like how they had Lumen leave..
Yes, it's convenient, but really the blood is the only real link to anything bad. Liddy was a cop, they talk, nothing wrong with that. Quinn didn't actually sign it, and the person that handed over the gear would probably remember it was liddy that checked it out, not quinn. And cops, probably more than anyone, know you should never answer questions in a criminal investigation without consulting with a lawyer first.

Of course in the real world, they'd never had their department doing forensic tests or the investigation on one of their own, but that can be ignored on tv.
Old 12-13-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by anomynous
I thought it was super obvious that Quinn KNOWS Dexter killed Liddy. The way they talked made it seem like that
This is what confused me. I would think he has to KNOW. But he used to eye Dexter with such suspicion and contempt. They way they talked afterwards I sensed more calm coming from Quinn, like an understanding. But I would think if he thought Dexter was a cop-killer he would be a little more contemptuous of him?
Old 12-13-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I'm not talking about detaining him, I'm talking about investigating him and his relationship with Liddy. They aren't even suggesting that he might be a suspect or person of interest any more.
Just because they let him out of jail doesn't mean that an investigation isn't pending. They just weren't going to get into it on the show, since we already know the outcome anyway. We know that Quinn would eventually get off because there isn't much evidence on him and we know that it would never get back to Dexter because Quinn was going to bury it. I bet season 6 starts off a few months or a year after this and the whole Liddy investigation is already cold.

Originally Posted by TheKing
Quinn saying "I guess I owe you one" is basically Quinn saying that he won't talk about Dexter being the subject being watched, and the case will go cold. Beyond that, Quinn loves Deb, and turning on Dexter would end that relationship. So both men have ample reason to maintain this fragile alliance
IMO, it's ridiculous that Quinn would let Dexter off knowing that he killed Liddy. This is what Quinn knows for sure:

-Liddy broke the investigation and said that he had a big case, Quinn just had to follow through with it.
-Quinn knows that Dexter was seeing another girl, but didn't know who she was since he never looked at the pictures.
-Quinn knows that Dexter killed Liddy and stole the surveillance stuff.

What Quinn doesn't know is that Dexter is a serial killer or this vigilante going after Chase. But he can assume that his original theory was right, that Dexter was involved in Rita's death. There is no way a cop just lets that go, even if Dexter helped him out. How does Quinn know that Dexter won't kill Deb too?

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
But back to Dexter, my wife and I were talking about Dexter and Deb's conversation at the end. She said something like "Now that this is over" and gave Dexter kind of a look. I thought she just meant the Jordan Chase stuff, but my wife thought Deb knew it was Dexter and Lumen.
No way, IMO. It's too much of a stretch for her to figure it out. From her perspective, Dexter wasn't involved in this at all. All she knows is that Dexter took one of Jordan's seminars. That's as far as his involvement gets. She has no reason to suspect Lumen at all either. Maybe if it was revealed to Deb that Lumen was a rape victim she could begin to piece it together but they didn't get into that.
Old 12-13-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"I have to go now. My planet needs me."

Note: Lumen died on the way back to her home planet.
Old 12-13-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Just because they let him out of jail doesn't mean that an investigation isn't pending. They just weren't going to get into it on the show, since we already know the outcome anyway. We know that Quinn would eventually get off because there isn't much evidence on him and we know that it would never get back to Dexter because Quinn was going to bury it. I bet season 6 starts off a few months or a year after this and the whole Liddy investigation is already cold.
You could tell based on everyone's attitudes at the party that Quinn was no longer even considered a person of interest in regards to Liddy's murder. Even if season six started the day after the party, Quinn would never face another question about Liddy again, and Liddy would probably never come up on the show again. In reality, Quinn would still be facing a ton of questions as the detectives tried to figure out who Liddy was surveilling.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.