DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Movie/TV actors that surprise you on the small screen? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/583183-movie-tv-actors-surprise-you-small-screen.html)

OldBoy 12-08-10 07:06 PM

Movie/TV actors that surprise you on the small screen?

So I am talking about actors/actresses that you see in alot of movies or longtime tv that go out of their typical comfort zone with roles that are different for them and just surprise the hell out of you with the new role.

Garett Dillahunt: he goes from very dark roles in Last House on the Left, The Road, a half dozen more, Terminator: TSCC, to what I think is the scene stealing role in Raising Hope. Everytime I watch the show, which I think overall is an excellent show, I am just amazed at his range and just how damn funny he is. Such an excellent, surprising role to me.

Bryan Cranston: obviously he goes from Malcolm in the Middle, guest spots on Seinfeld, to his 3x Emmy winning role on Breaking Bad. He is just excellent and deserving of all the accolades.

Who surprises the hell out of you?

MrSmearkase 12-08-10 08:01 PM

Re: Movie/TV actors that surprise you on the small screen?

Forest Whitaker in The Shield. Simply amazing during his run, and he really should have received Emmy recognition.

Kiefer Sutherland in 24. When the show premiered, it was not as typical as it is now for a film actor to thrive on TV, so I figured it was a sign that Sutherland had washed-out. I was hooked from that episode on, and Sutherland is a huge reason why. How wrong I was...

Scott - You should check Dillahunt out in Winter's Bone. It's not a huge role, but he is great in it.

whotony 12-08-10 09:21 PM

James Franco had a fun and Hammy appearance on General Hospital this year.
He has a follow up coming in Feb.

Charlie Goose 12-09-10 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10534381)
Forest Whitaker in The Shield. Simply amazing during his run, and he really should have received Emmy recognition.

Yes, he was excellent during his storyline.

Another Shield guest star, Anthony Anderson, who I had previously thought was nothing more than a clown was unbelievably good as drug kingpin Antwon Mitchell. He followed that up with a couple of strong seasons on L&O.

DeadLamb 12-09-10 04:40 AM

For a negative: How much Robert De Niro sucked on eps of SNL... I know it's easy to kick SNL right now and yes many actors have gone on the show and been horrible.. Still, I always thought De Niro would at least "act" some of the roles on SNL.. not just sort of sit and ham fisted read cue cards like he was Nancy Kerrigan.