DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Sing Off -- 2010 Edition -- Starts 12/6/10 on NBC (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/583110-sing-off-2010-edition-starts-12-6-10-nbc.html)

Goldberg74 12-06-10 11:22 PM

The Sing Off -- 2010 Edition -- Mon/Wed -- Starts 12/6/10 on NBC

It's back and so are Ben Folds, Nicole Scherzinger, and Shawn Stockman with Nick Lachey as host.

Here are the groups this season:
  • Jerry Lawson & Talk of the Town
  • Eleventh Hour
  • On the Rocks
  • Groove For Thought
  • Committed
  • The Backbeats
  • The Whiffenpoofs
  • Street Corner Symphony
  • Men of Note
  • Pitch Slapped

Two groups got cut tonight...
Spoiler:
... and they are the last two groups on the list above: Men of Note and Pitch Slapped.

Laertes 12-07-10 07:57 AM

Re: The Sing Off -- 2010 Edition -- Starts 12/6/10 on NBC

Anyone else watching this?

I thought Pitch Slapped's "swan song" ("Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye") was unnecessarily catty, bitchy and poor sportsmanship-like, mostly because of the unnecessary lyric changes ("You didn't love us / The way that we loved you / ... / Go on and kiss us, goodbye"). Stupid.

Those older guys were really good. I'm all for the groups that don't feel the need to act out their songs and over-choreograph. It's singing, not an improv sketch....

Goldberg74 12-07-10 08:38 AM

I'm a fan and I'm in for the season.

Committed wowed me and the two that went home deserved to go.

I even bought Nota's album the day it was released. It's a good set of tracks.

Laertes 12-07-10 09:00 AM

I didn't realize Nota had put out an album. I'll admit I liked the Bubs from last year.

I agree. The two that left deserved to go. Now if they could do something about the host...

boredsilly 12-07-10 10:29 AM

What's wrong with the host?

I really dig this show. I especially like that it doesn't fall into all of the traps that similar shows seem to (which could be due in large part to the lack of douchey judges), and really is only about the talent these groups have.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 12-07-10 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by boredsilly (Post 10531637)
What's wrong with the host?

I really dig this show. I especially like that it doesn't fall into all of the traps that similar shows seem to (which could be due in large part to the lack of douchey judges), and really is only about the talent these groups have.

I think it's because the show only runs for 3 weeks and not a whole season. If it did it might get tiresome like other similar shows.

Jadzia 12-07-10 11:50 AM

Kind of disappointed I won't be able to laugh at the name "Pitch Slapped" anymore. This reminds me of when the Black Family got axed the first episode of Amazing Race: Family Edition. But yeah, they were annoying, especially since how they bragged at what awesome musicians they were.

I hated the Whiffenpoofs - the lead singer was so whiny and hard to listen to. I also thought that the Backbeats were severely over-praised. Their lead singer was too screechy and melismatic.

I really enjoyed Committed, Street Corner Symphony, and Jerry Lawson & Talk of the Town. The Jerry Lawson group has a song on Nick Jr. that is often played during Jack's Big Music Show so I recognized him right away.

I wish they had brought the Beelzebubs back. I miss them.

FantasticVSDoom 12-07-10 12:11 PM

I thought Committed was good but I hope they can change it up a bit... Of course Stockton liked them because they are a better version of B2M. I think the best part of the show is they take songs I don't really like and make me enjoy their version (Eleventh Hour and the Beiber song).

Jadzia 12-07-10 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom (Post 10531831)
I think the best part of the show is they take songs I don't really like and make me enjoy their version (Eleventh Hour and the Beiber song).

I liked their "Don't You Forget About Me" they did in their package. I wish they had done that instead of the Bieber song.

Did that one high school girl look pregnant? I am hoping it was just her unflattering dress, or maybe they really are trying to be like Glee.

Goldberg74 12-08-10 07:52 PM

Nota is singing tonight. They were the winners of last season.

cungar 12-08-10 07:57 PM

Too bad Ben Folds has to stoop to this level. He is waaaayyyy too talented to be part of this kind of crap.

Eric F 12-08-10 08:01 PM

Why is Jerry Lawson on this show? He pretty much started the whole genre and his group The Persuasions is the one all these other guys are copying off of. If he loses I'll laugh. He's also way too talented to be on this show.

Alyoshka 12-08-10 09:13 PM

I didn't think there was any good reason for Pitch Slapped to go this early, but, at the end of the day, does it really matter?

RichC2 12-09-10 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 10534379)
Why is Jerry Lawson on this show? He pretty much started the whole genre and his group The Persuasions is the one all these other guys are copying off of. If he loses I'll laugh. He's also way too talented to be on this show.

Be that as it may, he sounded pretty awful tonight.

boredsilly 12-09-10 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 10534375)
Too bad Ben Folds has to stoop to this level. He is waaaayyyy too talented to be part of this kind of crap.

I don't see what's crappy about a show showcasing a gaggle of people who are incredibly talented.

I loved Groove For Thought's performance last night.

DVDChris 12-11-10 03:41 PM

Since when did Dana Carvey become a judge on this show? I had to google his name to find out who Ben Folds was.

So far I've agreed with every group who got kicked off the show.

Spiderbite 12-11-10 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by DVDChris (Post 10538801)
Since when did Dana Carvey become a judge on this show? I had to google his name to find out who Ben Folds was.

That's just sad since he is the only talented person involved in the show (host/judge wise).

boredsilly 12-14-10 12:44 PM

Man, I cannot believe they sent my favorite group home. Groove For Thought easily had the best "sound" of all the groups. If they ever tour around these parts, I would happily pay to see them. Jerry Lawson's group had been weak up until last night, but they had two great performances. I'm finally on board with the old heads.

I like the energy of The Backbeats, but I think they should have went home last night. Ah well.

starman9000 12-14-10 12:53 PM

Yeah, I was surprised the Backbeats were praised so much last night, the main dude just didn't work IMO. I suppose every judge basically praises every performance though, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

boredsilly 12-14-10 02:42 PM

The main dude (he reminds me of a spider-monkey) was fun, but yeah, his singing felt more like karaoke than something I would want to hear. Granted, the song they were singing called for that, but in the original, the guy wasn't so abrasive.

I think what's really surprising is how good the Groove For Thought guy who sang the "goodbye" song sounded. I really would have loved to hear more from him. His voice was beautiful.

DVDChris 12-15-10 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd (Post 10538859)
That's just sad since he is the only talented person involved in the show (host/judge wise).

Depends on if you're talking overall talent (singing/performing) or just being a judge. Ben is probably the most articulate judge and provides the best constructive criticism.

However, Shawn and Nicole sure can sing, and their millions of albums sold speak for themselves.

jjcool 12-17-10 02:54 PM

Well, Ben Folds seems to be the only judge that actually does any sort of musical critique. Shawn Stockman gives somewhat of a vocal critique, if you can call it that. Nicole is just useless. She seems to be the Paula Abdul fo the group, and is just there to look good, which she doesnt accomplish very well at all.

boredsilly 12-17-10 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 10549076)
Well, Ben Folds seems to be the only judge that actually does any sort of musical critique. Shawn Stockman gives somewhat of a vocal critique, if you can call it that. Nicole is just useless. She seems to be the Paula Abdul fo the group, and is just there to look good, which she doesnt accomplish very well at all.

C'mon son.

FantasticVSDoom 12-17-10 07:21 PM

Yeah, she's the shows Paula Abdul being 1000Xs hotter... Im ok with that, but I mute it when she talks.

Spiderbite 12-17-10 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by DVDChris (Post 10545516)
Depends on if you're talking overall talent (singing/performing) or just being a judge. Ben is probably the most articulate judge and provides the best constructive criticism.

However, Shawn and Nicole sure can sing, and their millions of albums sold speak for themselves.

You seriously have never heard of Ben Folds Five? Their weakest album is better than anything Boys II Men or the Pussycat Dolls ever did.

Ben's solo album "Rockin' The Suburbs" is one of my favorite albums of the last decade. Not sure how many albums he has sold between BFF and his solo stuff but it has to be in the millions as well.