Old 12-03-10, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Smallville -- "Luthor" -- 12/03/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-12-03

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Tess (Cassidy Freeman) acquires a Kryptonian box that once belonged to Lionel Luthor (John Glover). When Clark (Tom Welling) accidentally activates the box, he's transported to a parallel universe where Lionel found Clark in the cornfields instead of the Kents. In this universe, Clark Luthor is a murderer and Lois (Erica Durance) is engaged to Oliver (Justin Hartley) and both of them hate Clark. Clark must be careful not to tip off Lionel that he's not his son while trying to figure out how to get back to Earth where the monster Clark Luthor was transported in his place.

Episode 10 of 22

Written by Bryan Q. Miller

Directed by Kelly Souders (Smallville's co-Executive Producer)

Promo:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/39lFzhiSrAY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/39lFzhiSrAY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 12-03-10, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Smallville -- "Luthor" -- 12/03/10

Looking forward to this one. It looks like it has a very Twilight Zone type feel to it.
Old 12-03-10, 08:31 PM
ATX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man this episode off the chain

only 30 minutes in, but enjoying the hell out of it

props to the writer/director
Old 12-03-10, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Loved this episode and loved how Glover just looked into the camera at the end. I half expected him to wink at the audience.

One of the only things that bugged me is how he bested Clark in the sword fight. Not that Lionel was better at wielding a sword but that he seemed like he could have killed Clark without the aide of Kryptonite. It was an odd scene.

The other thing that bothered me was when Clark first saw alternate Lois. Given all he learned from his encounter with alternate Tess, his dumb routine felt extremely awkward.
Old 12-04-10, 01:16 AM

So did Lionel switch places with a decomposing corpse?
Old 12-04-10, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Pretty solid for a one-off. Loved Glover's look at the end and essentially breaking the fourth wall.
Old 12-04-10, 02:15 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great episode. I'm glad we spent most of the ep with Clark Kent in the other dimension, though I could have done without the heavy blue tint.

I liked how they left the big fight between Clark Luthor and everyone off screen and came back right before they killed him.
Old 12-04-10, 02:15 AM

Great episode. Glad we'll be getting more of Lionel before the show ends.
Old 12-04-10, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent ep! Can't wait to see how Lionel fits into the rest of the series.
Old 12-04-10, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why are parallel universes always more evil?
Old 12-04-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

watching now. nice to see Lionel again
but clark is an idiot. just activate some random kryptonian item without an explanation first?

edit: oh shit, Lionel made it through the portal or what ever you want to call it
too bad he's pure evil lionel, original Lionel had an evil side but seemed to have some good left in him too
mirror universe Lionel should be clean shaven with a shorter/cleaner haircut though. Kind of like how mirror Spock had facial hair when normal Spock didn't

Last edited by mikehunt; 12-04-10 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-04-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post
but clark is an idiot. just activate some random kryptonian item without an explanation first?
Fret not. He gets dumber.
Old 12-04-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Loved this episode and loved how Glover just looked into the camera at the end. I half expected him to wink at the audience.

One of the only things that bugged me is how he bested Clark in the sword fight. Not that Lionel was better at wielding a sword but that he seemed like he could have killed Clark without the aide of Kryptonite. It was an odd scene.

The other thing that bothered me was when Clark first saw alternate Lois. Given all he learned from his encounter with alternate Tess, his dumb routine felt extremely awkward.
the tips of the swords had blue kryptonite. it was visible for a second or two when he tossed the sword to Clark and Clark's hand got cut when he caught it
Old 12-04-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

no one mentioned gold kryptonite yet?
When Tess mentioned the scar I was like "what, how could he have a scar" and then bad Clark tells normal Tess "there's no take backs when it comes to gold K"
Old 12-04-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

watching now. nice to see Lionel again

edit: oh shit, Lionel made it through the portal or what ever you want to call it
too bad he's pure evil lionel, original Lionel had an evil side but seemed to have some good left in him too
mirror universe Lionel should be clean shaven with a shorter/cleaner haircut though. Kind of like how mirror Spock had facial hair when normal Spock didn't
When Clark in transporting back to his real Universe, was that Lionel running to be included in the flash back?
Old 12-04-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by riley_dude View Post
When Clark in transporting back to his real Universe, was that Lionel running to be included in the flash back?
I just rewatched that scene, yeah it's Lionel, although he's not really in focus, running and his voice saying "no, no" probably meaning "no don't activate it you little shit I want to use it for myself"
Old 12-04-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the tips of the swords had blue kryptonite. it was visible for a second or two when he tossed the sword to Clark and Clark's hand got cut when he caught it
Thanks. I totally missed that so the scene was bothering the heck outta me.

no one mentioned gold kryptonite yet?
When Tess mentioned the scar I was like "what, how could he have a scar" and then bad Clark tells normal Tess "there's no take backs when it comes to gold K"
Which means gold Kryptonite works differently in the Smallville universe. In the comics, if Superman ever comes into contaqct with gold Kryptonite, he never gets his powers back. Scarring like in the show would definitely occur if he's injured, but he'd never be this badass force known as Ultraman. He'd just be a douche in a t-shirt trying to terrorize randoms.
Old 12-04-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Scarring like in the show would definitely occur if he's injured, but he'd never be this badass force known as Ultraman. He'd just be a douche in a t-shirt trying to terrorize randoms.

There have been various incarnations of Ultraman in the DCU, all of whom exist on parallel earths and are Super-villains. This version of parallel Earth is assumed to be post-Crisis "Earth-3" as portrayed in the comics.
Old 12-04-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post

There have been various incarnations of Ultraman in the DCU, all of whom exist on parallel earths and are Super-villains. This version of parallel Earth is assumed to be post-Crisis "Earth-3" as portrayed in the comics.
I'm very familiar with Ultraman. I got that reference instattly. My issue was that alternate Lex used gold Kryptonite to apparently brand alternate Clark and yet alternate Clark somehow recovered his powers. As I recall, the effects of gold Kryptonite are supposed to be permanent.

EDIT: I quick trip to Wikipedia shows that gold K was retconned to only last for 15 seconds.

In Action Comics Annual #11, Metallo mentions that the modern age gold kryptonite in his chest only temporarily removes a Kryptonian's powers. The exact time period is later revealed to be fifteen seconds.
Old 12-04-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As I recall Ultraman, like Bizarro, originally reacted differently to "K" as Supes. Smallville has always taken liberties with the various iterations of Supes so I guess it's possible in this Universe the effects of Gold K are permanent. Blue K's effects were originally beneficial to Supes, hurt Bizarro.
Old 12-04-10, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was ready to not like this episode as soon as Clark appeared in blue-tint Earth 2 (I'm kind of sick of the alt-world episodes), but it was great to see Lionel again. John Glover was so fantastic during his run, and I look forward to see him in further episodes. His bit at the end was awesome.

Clark returning to Lois, Oliver, and Tess beaten and bloodied, but ready to kill him was intense!

A word of warning - Entertainment Weekly has what is probably a big spoiler for next week's episode in it's current issue. It is shown very quickly in the preview for next week at the end of he episode, but it looks to be a pretty big Clark and Lois moment that probably plays better if you don't know it is coming.
Old 12-04-10, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase View Post
A word of warning - Entertainment Weekly has what is probably a big spoiler for next week's episode in it's current issue. It is shown very quickly in the preview for next week at the end of he episode, but it looks to be a pretty big Clark and Lois moment that probably plays better if you don't know it is coming.
Dammit. Now I wanna read that issue.
Old 12-05-10, 12:15 AM
Premium Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dammit. Now I wanna read that issue.
Spoiler is here --> http://io9.com/5704904/smallville-en...nt-weekly-scan
Old 12-05-10, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pfft. That's hardly a spoiler.

Good episode! at the two women in bed. Great to have Lionel back-nice slap tess gave him. Love how they're sorta resetting things with the Luthors and at the right pace.
Old 12-05-10, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Pfft. That's hardly a spoiler.
Spoiler:
True, they have set it up, but there hasn't been much to indicate that it would happen so soon. I figured that they would drag it towards the end of the season.

Love how they're sorta resetting things with the Luthors and at the right pace.
Absolutely agree. The writers have been doing a terrific job of re-piecing the Luther family storyline.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.