DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Showtime renews Dexter for 6th season (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/582935-showtime-renews-dexter-6th-season.html)

DJariya 12-02-10 07:55 PM

Showtime renews Dexter for 6th season

From E! Online

Good news, Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall) fans! Inside sources tell us that Showtime's fully addictive serial-killer series Dexter has been picked up for a sixth season, and the official announcement is coming soon. But are execs at the net planning for year six to be the end? Only we can tell you that:

MORE: Dexter's Boss Tells Us (Almost) Everything

The renewal is a one-year deal that will not billed as the final season, meaning that a seventh season is likely and possible, but that contracts with key talent must first be worked out and officially "reupped" between years six and seven.

Only two episodes of season five remain, as Dex and his "barrel girl" partner Lumen (Julia Stiles) continue to hunt down Miami's latest gang of diabolical fiends while distracting local law enforcement from their own misdeeds. We just talked to Quinn himself, Desmond Harrington, for scoop on the final two, so check back a bit later for the (kinda disturbing) goods.

Are you enjoying season five so far? What would you like to see for Dexter in season six?

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b214...#ixzz170erjoYe

Deftones 12-02-10 08:19 PM

Re: Showtime renews Dexter for 6th season

posted it in the thread. ;)

MrSmearkase 12-02-10 08:38 PM

The more, the better :up:

calhoun07 12-03-10 04:59 PM

I was hoping they would end it this season. It's a great show, but I don't want to see it diminish in quality like other TV shows that overstay their welcome.

calhoun07 12-03-10 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10524011)
posted it in the thread. ;)

And? This deserves it's own thread. It's separate news from the random postings about last week's episode.

Raul3 12-03-10 05:14 PM

Since it just renewed, I wonder if they took that in consideration for the finale. Meaning, they didn't know if they were coming for a sixth season, so they didn't include a cliff hanger at the end.

Goat3001 12-03-10 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 10525558)
I was hoping they would end it this season. It's a great show, but I don't want to see it diminish in quality like other TV shows that overstay their welcome.

Generally I'm in the same boat with you but this season has been fantastic as was last season so I see no reason why a 6th season would be poor.

But before this season started I was also hoping that this would be the last season. They could have really blown out this season with the Rita aftermath but as the season unfolded I felt it wouldn't make sense to end it here.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 6th season was the last. They could really go all out with shit hitting the fan for Dexter. At some point Deb NEEDS to find out.

DJariya 12-04-10 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 10525597)
Since it just renewed, I wonder if they took that in consideration for the finale. Meaning, they didn't know if they were coming for a sixth season, so they didn't include a cliff hanger at the end.

The thing about Dexter is the show is shot in the spring and the season is so short (12 episodes) unlike network shows which go 22-24 episodes. By the time the show premieres in September, the season is already in the can or pretty close to it, so it's not like Showtime could all of the sudden decide that season 5 was going to be the last one right now when all the episodes are already completed. Plus, I don't think any of the creative team on the show went into season 5 thinking it was the last, especially since they hired a new showrunner (Chip Johannsen) for this season.

If season 6 is going to be the last one, I think Showtime would need to make an announcement during summer 2011 when they are still in the middle of production.

MikahC 12-04-10 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 10525558)

You stop watching, I keep watching. Win-win.

Josh-da-man 12-04-10 04:29 PM

The renewal is a one-year deal that will not billed as the final season, meaning that a seventh season is likely and possible, but that contracts with key talent must first be worked out and officially "reupped" between years six and seven.
I would hope that they know when the final season is going to be so they can properly plan for the end of the series. Under this scenario, it sounds like they won't make a decision on a seventh season until the sixth one is completed.

MikahC 12-05-10 01:06 AM

I see no reason they need to wait until Season 6 is finished before renewing contracts for Season 7. They might want to wait, however, to see how the ratings are holding up. If the actors ask for a (say) 10% raise, I might want to make sure the ratings justify it before I jump in. Still, it's obvious the devoted fans would like a coherent end to the show (it doesn't get much better than Six Feet Under's ending). I'd think Showtime understands the value of it as well.