Reload this Page >

Glee -- "Special Education" -- 11/30/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Glee -- "Special Education" -- 11/30/10

Old 12-01-10, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Glee -- "Special Education" -- 11/30/10

This show is suffering from the same second season-itis as Lost and Heroes. I hope it finds its whimsy again, because frankly, the last 6 or so eps have completely sucked.

Also, anyone else find it completely stupid how Blaine made a huge deal about how individuality was verboten in the Warblers...yet he is the ONLY GUY to sing lead in any song they've done so far, while the rest of the dudes are a glorified rhythm section?
Old 12-01-10, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the episode was OK - not as PSA-y as some previously this season. BUT, speaking of PSAs - can't get past the fact that the Ohio motor vehicles whatever was the spitting image of John Candy during his SCTV days. No one else saw the resemblance? Its been driving me crazy and I don't have the time to keep googling to see if he is indeed related to the late great Candy. That's what I'm taking away from this episode, songs were forgettable IMHO (would have loved to see them do Rio...sigh).
Old 12-01-10, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
That tie at Sectionals was a riduclous cop-out and I lost even more respect for the show for resorting to such a storytelling device. Out of three competitors, two advance? So lame..
MORE silly is that a) none of the competition from last year returned? and b) the Warblers seem pretty well established from the "office politics" we saw back on campus so why weren't they at Sectionals last year?

Originally Posted by boogieman03
So Puck didn't sleep with Rachel, right?
No. Rachel is still a virgin. The way she makes a big deal about it, we'll KNOW when she gets her cherry popped!

I kind of enjoyed the Rachel/Kurt stuff in this episode. They both freely admit to themselves and each other that they are prima-donna-diva-bitches-from-hell which is a good place to start for changing both characters who have both gone off the deep end with their attitudes. I'm thinking that was the whole point of the "special education" theme in this episode.

After hearing the Christmas album, I'm interested to see how they get all that music into the show next week.
Old 12-01-10, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by kaisha no saru
I thought the episode was OK - not as PSA-y as some previously this season. BUT, speaking of PSAs - can't get past the fact that the Ohio motor vehicles whatever was the spitting image of John Candy during his SCTV days. No one else saw the resemblance? Its been driving me crazy and I don't have the time to keep googling to see if he is indeed related to the late great Candy. That's what I'm taking away from this episode, songs were forgettable IMHO (would have loved to see them do Rio...sigh).
He's no relation to Candy. He's an actor who has been around forever, but I'll be damned if I can recall his name at the moment.
Old 12-01-10, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
What's your "not lame" idea? Cause I can't think of a better alternative.
My "not lame" idea would consist of the following:

Sectionals A: New Directions, School for the Deaf, Jane Addams Academy

Sectionals B: The Warblers, The Hipsters, Aural Intensity

Sectionals C: Vocal Adrenaline, Unknown School 1, Unknown School 2

They could have had Will, Finn, Rachel, and Mercedes attend Sectionals B as audience members and had Kurt and Blaine attend Sectionals A as audience members.

Last year, Aural Intensity beat The Warblers and competed against Vocal Adrenaline and New Directions at Regionals. This year, The Warblers beat Aural Intensity and will compete against Vocal Adrenaline and New Directions at Regionals.

I'm confident that that is a much better alternative than a tie in a singing competition that determines who advances to the next stage of the competition.

---

EDIT: It's so simple and logical, and works perfectly with what we already know about the teams and what we've seen about the competitions. But the writers on Glee are determined to undermine common sense, logic, good storytelling, and rationality every chance they get.

Last edited by kstublen; 12-01-10 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-01-10, 08:56 AM

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,118 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
He's no relation to Candy. He's an actor who has been around forever, but I'll be damned if I can recall his name at the moment.
That's Mike Hagerty and like John Candy, he spent some time performing at Second City. He usually sports a mustache and his hair is much more gray than the last time I saw him so it took me a moment to figure out who he was, too.
Old 12-01-10, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Thanks for the name. I'd been struggling to find it since my last post,lol.
Old 12-01-10, 09:33 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Blaine made a huge deal about how individuality was verboten in the Warblers...yet he is the ONLY GUY to sing lead in any song they've done so far, while the rest of the dudes are a glorified rhythm section?
I agree and I'm curious... considering this episode made a point about not highlighting Rachel this time and letting the other ND members shine, I wonder if Blaine being "the Warbler's Rachel" (and the fact that nobody is contesting this) will be an actual plot point down the road?
Old 12-01-10, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

My "not lame" idea would consist of the following:

Sectionals A: New Directions, School for the Deaf, Jane Addams Academy

Sectionals B: The Warblers, The Hipsters, Aural Intensity

Sectionals C: Vocal Adrenaline, Unknown School 1, Unknown School 2

They could have had Will, Finn, Rachel, and Mercedes attend Sectionals B as audience members and had Kurt and Blaine attend Sectionals A as audience members.

Last year, Aural Intensity beat The Warblers and competed against Vocal Adrenaline and New Directions at Regionals. This year, The Warblers beat Aural Intensity and will compete against Vocal Adrenaline and New Directions at Regionals.

I'm confident that that is a much better alternative than a tie in a singing competition that determines who advances to the next stage of the competition.

---

EDIT: It's so simple and logical, and works perfectly with what we already know about the teams and what we've seen about the competitions. But the writers on Glee are determined to undermine common sense, logic, good storytelling, and rationality every chance they get.
So...3/4 of an episode is them setting up and attending all of these competitions?

How about they just tie and go to the next round? Takes about 5 seconds to say that. Especially since we all know it would be The Warblers, Vocal Adrenaline and New Directions in the finals anyway. So the whole exercise is a waste of time.

Honestly, I wish they didn't have "sectionals" at all. The Ohio show choir district (realistically) shouldn't be very big. When I competed in show choir (in a popular show choir state) we just had the "regional" competition every year. We did, however, do concerts for the school that were a big deal. That could be the stuff that leads to regionals.

Point being, they've already painted themselves into a dumb corner with this competition stuff. I'm fine with simple solutions to the problem.
Old 12-01-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, because it would take 3/4 of an episode to show the exact same performances with the exact same people in the audience, reacting the exact same way. All you'd have to do is throw in is a few lines when Kurt came to see Rachel earlier in the episode about them agreeing to come see each other perform. Problem solved. You get to avoid a ridiculous tie and not run into the problem of having two teams who weren't at Sectionals last year being there this year and two other teams completely disappearing from the face of the earth. And they didn't pain themselves into a corner. My suggestion makes perfect sense and even accounts for why we didn't see The Warblers last year, but instead saw Aural Intensity.

My solution makes so much more logical sense and takes no extra time or effort. In fact, it's better than what they did. Stop making excuses for poor writing.
Old 12-01-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
This show is suffering from the same second season-itis as Lost and Heroes. I hope it finds its whimsy again, because frankly, the last 6 or so eps have completely sucked.

Also, anyone else find it completely stupid how Blaine made a huge deal about how individuality was verboten in the Warblers...yet he is the ONLY GUY to sing lead in any song they've done so far, while the rest of the dudes are a glorified rhythm section?
I found that part about the solo/singing lead to be stupid. I can't stand Blaine for some reason something about him irks me and in last night's episode I got a feeling that Kurt will transfer back to McKineley later on in the season.
Old 12-01-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My solution makes so much more logical sense and takes no extra time or effort. In fact, it's better than what they did. Stop making excuses for poor writing.
I'll say whatever I want, thanks. Why don't you stop wasting time coming up with scenarios that make it more complicated than it needs to be?

The fact is - show choirs tie. Here's a show choir competition I found after 5 seconds of Google searching that offers "like awards" for groups that tie.

There are SO MANY other things about this show that are 10x more ridiculous than how the results worked out. It's a minor issue, and it's hilarious that you "lost even more respect" for the show on this point.

I'd recommend watching something else - you don't seem to like this show much anymore.
Old 12-01-10, 11:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

People are screaming that the tie is "unrealistic" but have no problem with random guys wandering a high school common area carrying steel drums.
Old 12-01-10, 11:55 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I net Kurt and Blaine transfer to McKinley.
Old 12-01-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
People are screaming that the tie is "unrealistic" but have no problem with random guys wandering a high school common area carrying steel drums.
...Or singing in an auditorium without microphones
...Or building an elevator for a stage musical that isn't even performed for an audience
...Or changing the set of your second biggest show of the year a week before the competition
...Or creating brand new costumes, effects, props and choreography for an "assignment" every week
...Or pretty much anything else on this show.
Old 12-01-10, 12:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

BTW, I loved the throwaway line that revealed that Brittany does motocross.
Old 12-01-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
BTW, I loved the throwaway line that revealed that Brittany does motocross.

That was great!
Old 12-01-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And that a cricket reads to her and steals from her.

I love Brittany.
Old 12-01-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Its funny because I enjoyed the episode, but didnt like any of the songs...
Old 12-01-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I believe it was Mike Hagerty who played Mr. Treeger (the building super) on Friends.
Old 12-01-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. Also played Mike on HBO's Lucky Louie. Been in a ton of movies too.
Old 12-01-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Draven
...Or singing in an auditorium without microphones
...Or building an elevator for a stage musical that isn't even performed for an audience
...Or changing the set of your second biggest show of the year a week before the competition
...Or creating brand new costumes, effects, props and choreography for an "assignment" every week
...Or pretty much anything else on this show.
For me, the topper so far is the rain effects, waterfall and full stage water table for the Dancing in the Rain/Umbrella number.

Speaking of mics though, I did find it odd that they gave one to Santana for her number but didn't give the Warbler's percussion guy one. It looked silly to have him performing unamplified when the percussion was clearly using a mic in the audio.

Last edited by wmansir; 12-01-10 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-01-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best
Greenroom
Ever!!!

Many good one liners tonight.

Overall I thought the show was OK. Didn't really miss Sue since she has been so over the top lately.
Old 12-01-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wmansir
For me, the topper so far is the rain effects, waterfall and full stage water table for the Dancing in the Rain/Umbrella number.

Speaking of mics though, I did find it odd that they gave one to Santana for her number but didn't give the Warbler's percussion guy one. It looked silly to have him performing unamplified when the percussion was clearly using a mic in the audio.
I loved watching Santana clap the side of the mic, sing, and then clap again.

That district high school audio guy was on the BALL.
Old 12-01-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir

I think I just treat the Glee club performances as this weird communal austistic world that they all share in during the performances.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.