DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Boardwalk Empire -- "Paris Green" -- 11/28/10

wow - you think Jimmy is that psycho?
Old 11-30-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Jimmy is off his fucking rocker, but I wasn't sure about the time frame we were dealing with.

Jimmy and his scarred war buddy are like two sides of the same coin; his buddy got all the physical scars, but I think Jimmy is mental.
Old 11-30-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BUT I don't think Jimmy kills indiscriminately. He kills bad guys, or guys associated with the mob. He kicked the shit out of the photographer, but he didn't maim or kill him. Jimmy knows where the line is drawn, and I don't think he's that crazy to cross that line - unlike his right arm (Richard), who will kill anybody except those he's loyal to.
Old 11-30-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Jimmy knows where the line is drawn, and I don't think he's that crazy to cross that line - unlike his right arm (Richard), who will kill anybody except those he's loyal to.
Agreed. To me Jimmy is just super emotional and reactionary, but definitely knows boundaries. Richard is completely clinical in his actions thus far.
Old 11-30-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd have done the same thing (kick the shit out of the guy who I thought was messin' around with my wife). Jimmy's reaction wasn't necessarily "out of bounds," and he knew it when he announced it to the watching public as he kicked his ass. He knew nobody would stop him from getting justice.
Old 11-30-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And I don't know if it was mentioned in the last eps thread, but that scene shot through his camera and you hear Jimmy limping across the floor then his head pops into frame was fucking amazing.
Old 11-30-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I figured Jimmy got the note, figured out who was involved, then "disappeared" the photographer and his girlfriend.
That's what I thought too.

As for Jimmy's mother, her story about meeting Nucky when she was younger made me think she liked him. However, he was just there to get her for the Commodore. He probably did like her, but he was working for the Commodore. Maybe they had a side thing and Nucky really is Jimmy's father.
Old 11-30-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

so apparently, the Commodore is going to recover correct? cant wait to see where this leads.

Is there any chance we will get season 2 in 2011? I really hope the dont go down the Sopranos road of taking forever between season.
Old 11-30-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
BUT I don't think Jimmy kills indiscriminately. He kills bad guys, or guys associated with the mob. He kicked the shit out of the photographer, but he didn't maim or kill him. Jimmy knows where the line is drawn, and I don't think he's that crazy to cross that line - unlike his right arm (Richard), who will kill anybody except those he's loyal to.
I wouldn't be so sure. Jimmy didn't outright dismiss Richard's family killing idea. I doubt it will happen, but he seemed to appreciate a certain logic to it.
Old 11-30-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by joefrog91
That's what I thought too.
Unless I misunderstood, she left the note, then walked to the photographers shop and found it empty.

Jimmy would have to be Hardeen's brother to 'disappear' them that quickly.

Aside from that, the property manager mentioned that they ducked out during the night.

On a different note, I got a chuckle out of the guy losing all his money to Charles Ponzi.
Old 11-30-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Unless I misunderstood, she left the note, then walked to the photographers shop and found it empty.

Aside from that, the property manager mentioned that they ducked out during the night.

On a different note, I got a chuckle out of the guy losing all his money to Charles Ponzi.

Charles Ponzi was the father of the ponzi scheme.
Old 11-30-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jimmy wasnt surprised to see her return though. He also mentioned that he knew what shed been up to. Implying that he knew the deal even before she wrote the note. I think he got to the couple told them in no uncertain terms to leave town or they'd both end up on the bottom of the Atlantic ocean. It seems rather elaborate for the couple to go to the trouble of leaving town and shutting down their business in the night just to play with the emotions of a housewife. More likely that they were scared off.
Old 11-30-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31
I know. That's why I thought it was funny.

Originally Posted by Thrush
Jimmy wasnt surprised to see her return though. He also mentioned that he knew what shed been up to. Implying that he knew the deal even before she wrote the note. I think he got to the couple told them in no uncertain terms to leave town or they'd both end up on the bottom of the Atlantic ocean. It seems rather elaborate for the couple to go to the trouble of leaving town and shutting down their business in the night just to play with the emotions of a housewife. More likely that they were scared off.
Interesting point. I don't know that it was implied that he knew she intended to take off (before the note), or that he just knew of their carrying on. I could see him chasing them off for that reason alone. But yeah, the timing is a bit coincidental. Perhaps we'll find out next week.
Old 11-30-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
But has the show done anything of importance that wasn't shown to the viewer? I don't think it would really follow their established narrative to have Jimmy be the one to run them out and not show the audience.
Old 11-30-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're right about the time frame, I think. It definitely wasn't Jimmy. Although I still can't believe that's the entire resolution to that subplot. Until I hear otherwise, the photographer learned about what his girl was planning, offed her, then moved.

Last edited by CaptainMarvel; 11-30-10 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-30-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm just glad that Hardeen made an appearance after all the talk about him in previous shows. As mentioned, this show is quite literal and very little happens off-screen -- if Warren G. Harding is going to be mentioned then by golly he's going to appear on-screen.
Old 11-30-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Same here and I loved Nucky's reaction to it.

I was confused by the mentions of Jimmy being involved in the couple's disappearance since there didn't seem to be anything to indicate that - I thought I missed something, but seeing the last few posts reassures me that he wasn't involved.
Old 11-30-10, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

I have to believe that this storyline wouldn't have found it's way into the script had the Bernie Madoff situation not come to light - even with Charles Ponzi being accurate for the time-frame of the show.
Old 11-30-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deadman31
You'd think people would be skeptical of a guy with the same name as a famous financial scam.
Old 11-30-10, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superfro
But has the show done anything of importance that wasn't shown to the viewer? I don't think it would really follow their established narrative to have Jimmy be the one to run them out and not show the audience.
I see your point. But if they showed it on screen it would lessen the impact of the reveal when she finds out that they left without her. That way it comes as a shock to both her and the audience. That said, I was wrong about the Commodore being Jimmy's father so , my track record with this show isn't so good.
Old 12-01-10, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
I have to believe that this storyline wouldn't have found it's way into the script had the Bernie Madoff situation not come to light - even with Charles Ponzi being accurate for the time-frame of the show.
I completely agree.
Old 12-01-10, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Ever time I read "Hardeen" in this thread I hear Margaret's inflection:  Mr. Har-DEEN.
Old 12-01-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wishbone
Ever time I read "Hardeen" in this thread I hear Margaret's inflection:  Mr. Har-DEEN.
...and how she thought it was Warren G. Har-DEEN doing the tricks.
Old 12-02-10, 04:40 AM

Count me as one thinking that Jimmy helped the photographer and his wife be gone, either by offing them or more likely threatening them. Jimmy seemed too calm when his wife returned home. Like he knew she and their son would be showing despite having just read her note.

One would think he would be a little more panicked if his son had just been taken. It seemed like he knew they'd be returning, as if he expected them back.

And, is Van Alden ever good for some freaky, shocking scenes. I can just see it now -- a young J. Edgar Hoover is Agent Sebso's replacement, and Van Alden becomes the young Hoover's mentor. In another shock scene, Van Alden and Hoover go out cross-dressed as transvestites to a gay orgy.
Old 12-02-10, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
You're right about the time frame, I think. It definitely wasn't Jimmy. Although I still can't believe that's the entire resolution to that subplot. Until I hear otherwise, the photographer learned about what his girl was planning, offed her, then moved.
I hope it is the resolution (lame or not) and they drop that whole storyline . Its really unnecesary IMO at this point..other than Jimmy beating the crap out of the guy that whole subplot is my least favorite..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.