Old 11-29-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- "Wildfire" -- 11/28/10

Good episode

season finale looks amazing
Old 11-29-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they will spend some time harvesting new tissue for the CDC guy to work on...plus it should clear up the whole "How do you actually get infected?" angle
Old 11-29-10, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you missed an episode or forgot to record them all or just want to watch all the episodes
over again - AMC will be repeating the first five episodes - in order - leading up to the season
finale - next Sunday afternoon - starting at 4:30 pm ET.

LB...
Old 11-29-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Loved this ep, great exposition but I did think the bit with the sisters at the beginning went on too long. It's tough to strike the right balance between getting to know these people and giving us the zombie mayhem we all love. I think they've done a good job thus far, but I really want to see them up the ante for next season. I feel like the pacing on this show has been a little slower than I want it to be, but I'm not going to complain much because it's the best thing on TV right now. Such a shame this season is done next week. I wish they'd done at least 8 episodes. Ah well, guess there's plenty to be excited for next year.

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
That was from John Murphy's incredible score for Sunshine. (If you look it up, beware that the song titles contain a major spoiler.)
I picked up on that right away. He also used a slightly reworked version of that theme in Kick-Ass. I love Murphy's work; he's one of my favorite composers working today.
Old 11-29-10, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm surprised that a couple of you criticized Laurie Holden's acting. I thought she's given 2 straight really solid dramatic performances following the death of her character's sister.

I also thought the score during the scene when they were driving to the CDC was really solid. Bear McCreary is a really solid composer. Human Target on FOX misses him tremendously.
I agree with your first comment. Holden is one of the only dependable aspects of the show. The score selection, however, seemed like a lazy choice to me. Why recycle John Murphy's now beyond-overused theme for a mundane driving sequence? That is one of the strongest examples yet of how this show tries to manufacture dramatic tension/emotional heft where there is none. To saturate the scene with an "epic" selection from other film soundtracks only highlights the series' comparative weaknesses.
Old 11-29-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.cracked.com/article_18683...l-quickly.html

good article... lol
Old 11-29-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All French jokes aside, the French resistance in WWII was comprised of some incredibly tough sons of bitches that held out despite their government caving.
Old 11-29-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Thanks for correcting me on the score used for the driving sequence. I did see Sunshine, but didn't recognize it was the score used on that film. Surprised that they would recycle an old score.
Old 11-29-10, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Surprised that they would recycle an old score.
Yes, especially when a less dramatic piece of ambient/background music would have worked just as well during the sequence. If you are a fan of the piece, you should seek out Matthew Vaughn's Kick-Ass. There is a climactic scene in that film that uses Murphy's music to terrific effect.
Old 11-29-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Loved this ep, great exposition but I did think the bit with the sisters at the beginning went on too long. It's tough to strike the right balance between getting to know these people and giving us the zombie mayhem we all love. I think they've done a good job thus far, but I really want to see them up the ante for next season. I feel like the pacing on this show has been a little slower than I want it to be...
My thoughts, too.

Second best episode of the season (after the pilot), IMO. It seemed like everything finally fell into place with this one. A shame there's only one more to go.
Old 11-29-10, 03:50 PM
Banned

Some of you whining about the dearth of Zombie action probably won't like most of next season, if they follow the comic.
Old 11-29-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Some of you whining about the dearth of Zombie action probably won't like most of next season, if they follow the comic.
I see very little signs of them following the comic. So far my 20% estimate of content taken from the books might end up being a bit high. Not saying thats a bad thing as I'm loving the show... I'm just sayin'
Old 11-29-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How they handle the seeming lack of continuity about blood is one thing that bothers me about the show. It makes me feel almost stupid, like they know something i don't and i missed a clue that explains when it is safe and when it is not safe to be around.

If they are going for a slightly realistic zombie tone, i would expect the characters to wear protection all the time(when dealing with blood, not when having sex). Why take a chance of getting some on you?
Old 11-29-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Probably my favorite episode so far. Rick's desperation when banging on the door at the end of the episode was fantastic. He knew if the door didn't open that he had lead the group to certain death.

I was also surprisingly moved by the character that got bit and was dying considering we never really got to know him too well and I didn't like him that much anyway.

The crazy redneck with the crossbow seems to be the most rational of the entire group.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 11-29-10 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
How they handle the seeming lack of continuity about blood is one thing that bothers me about the show. It makes me feel almost stupid, like they know something i don't and i missed a clue that explains when it is safe and when it is not safe to be around.

If they are going for a slightly realistic zombie tone, i would expect the characters to wear protection all the time(when dealing with blood, not when having sex). Why take a chance of getting some on you?
They're genre blind. They haven't got a damned clue what makes a zombie, other than their own very limited knowledge.
Old 11-29-10, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So this episode went up 15% in the ratings over last week? As much as we're upset it's done as of next week I'll bet AMC is doubly so.
Old 11-29-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
So this episode went up 15% in the ratings over last week? As much as we're upset it's done as of next week I'll bet AMC is doubly so.
We can only hope that all those viewers are still interested a full fucking year from now.
Old 11-29-10, 04:59 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
They're genre blind. They haven't got a damned clue what makes a zombie, other than their own very limited knowledge.
This. It seems like their knowledge is still very limited. For the most part, they've probably only really seen people turn to zombies after getting bit, and not much else.
They'll probably learn a LOT from the guy at the CDC, since he's a researcher and all. I can't wait for the season finale!
Old 11-29-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
We can only hope that all those viewers are still interested a full fucking year from now.
I'm sure they'll do the Halloween thing again, so that'll help, but yeah, the cable schedules of 12-13 episodes 10 months apart is a really hard pill to swallow for a large group of folks. (Especially painful with this first season only being an order of 6 shows.) If people thought the hype going into this season was excessive, wait till you see the stuff they do to keep this on people's minds for the next 11 months.
Old 11-29-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope they do nice with the DVD/Blu release. If they do it early enough they might get people loaning out copies or blind-buying. They could continue the animated comic book going on the website as well.

I also hear that they are doing novels (not sure if they'll follow the comic or the show) but that might keep people going.
Old 11-29-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I was also surprisingly moved by the character that got bit and was dying considering we never really got to know him too well and I didn't like him that much anyway.
I agree, although
Spoiler:
I wish they had gone with what I read happened in the comic, where he decides to become a zombie and rejoin his family in Atlanta.
Old 11-29-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

The characters being careless with zombie blood and body parts doesn't make much sense. They don't know exactly what turns people into zombies except a bite. Well it's pretty safe to assume it's not the act of biting that turns them, it's the infection as a result of the bite. They're going to the CDC to get some medical help, so they know it's some sort of infectous disease. Yet they seem to have no problems being in contact with the blood. They have it all over their clothing and it never seems to be a concern, neither is the blood splatter from busting some heads. The redneck has the top of the pickaxe with zombie brain/blood right by his head even.

It's hard to avoid zombie blood/guts in their situation, but their carelessness is pretty dumb.
Old 11-29-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first I was kind of annoyed with the way they handled Andrea's reaction to her sister's death, especially when she pulled the gun on Rick. However, I think the reanimation sequence was completely worth it.

I haven't watched the previews but I'm wonder if the CDC guy isn't more interested in getting new subjects than providing aid.
Old 11-29-10, 09:56 PM

Did anyone else catch the boom mike in the left hand corner when they were all standing in front of the rv at the end of the episode?
Old 11-29-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Probably my favorite episode so far. Rick's desperation when banging on the door at the end of the episode was fantastic. He knew if the door didn't open that he had lead the group to certain death.
Although I did like it, I took it differently as it was Rick being desperate to be right after not finding Merhle and the zombies at the camp. And really, they weren't in danger, at least not like they pretended to be because there was just one walker shown, not some massing army.

And why the heck did they not go looking through the dead soldiers stuff taking their weapons? They could have pierced all of the heads to make sure they could scrounge safely.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.