DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   USA Network airs "uncut" movies now, but... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/582488-usa-network-airs-uncut-movies-now-but.html)

Gutch220 11-23-10 06:42 PM

USA Network airs "uncut" movies now, but...

I noticed how USA now airs some movies "uncut", or so they say. Are the movies completely uncensored and aired in their original theatrical form, or are they like Comedy Central's secret stash, where they say the movie is uncut, but in reality it's heavily censored? It would be much better if these channels actually aired uncensored movies. Who would waste 2 or 3 hours of their time watching a movie that is censored/sanitized for "my protection", especially with commercial breaks sprinkled in? Not me. So what's USA's policy here?

CharlieK 11-23-10 08:18 PM

Re: USA Network airs "uncut" movies now, but...

What time do they air the uncut movies? That may give you an idea. CC airs theirs at 2am or something.

Greg. 11-23-10 08:22 PM

I just assumed it meant that they don't condense the films or cut anything out to lower the running time. I saw an ad for Elf uncut the other day, and obviously there's nothing objectionable in there...

I could be completely wrong though.

MrSmearkase 11-23-10 08:30 PM

I saw commercials for Street Kings uncut a few weeks ago, but I didn't tune in to see if any language stood unchanged. They aired.it at the 9 o'clock hour, so they must have removed/obscured some things, right?

Ropes Pierre 11-23-10 11:07 PM

So i can't hear someone called a "melon farmer" anymore?

Philly30 11-24-10 01:39 AM

Yippee Ki-Yay, Mr. Falcon

TheBigDave 11-24-10 01:43 AM

No more monkey fighting snakes on a Monday to Friday plane?

Giantrobo 11-24-10 02:24 AM

USA showing Non-Jewish movies? :confused:

Charlie Goose 11-24-10 05:40 AM

Uncut doesn't mean that bewbies won't be obscured and bad language won't be dubbed over.

NORML54601 11-24-10 05:59 AM

I've watched some stuff from CC's secret stash and it is uncut.

raven56706 11-24-10 06:53 AM

the uncut movies are Elf and Pirates of the Carribean.. they wouldnt dare do uncut runs of horror movies or bad boys 2

RichC2 11-24-10 07:39 AM

Uh, Comedy Central shows a boatload of uncensored movies, f-bombs galore.

Gutch220 11-24-10 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 10508821)
Uh, Comedy Central shows a boatload of uncensored movies, f-bombs galore.

Every Comedy Central Secret Stash movie I've ever seen has been censored for everything except language.

MrSmearkase 11-24-10 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by raven56706 (Post 10508773)
the uncut movies are Elf and Pirates of the Carribean.. they wouldnt dare do uncut runs of horror movies or bad boys 2

As I mentioned earlier, you can also add Street Kings to that list.

emachine12 11-24-10 11:54 AM

Comedy Central's Secret Stash content airs with the language uncensored. Some films will still have the nudity blurred out rather than removed completely.

USA's "Uncut" content means the film's running time is unchanged and any violence is retained. Language is censored and nudity is blurred out.

Gutch220 11-24-10 10:08 PM

I, like most people, use 'uncut' & 'uncensored' interchangably (as well as 'unedited'). USA needs to change their phrasing.

Rypro 525 11-24-10 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by emachine12 (Post 10509316)

USA's "Uncut" content means the film's running time is unchanged and any violence is retained. Language is censored and nudity is blurred out.

this. well language muted instead of dubbed over.

GuessWho 11-25-10 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gutch220 (Post 10510296)
I, like most people, use 'uncut' & 'uncensored' interchangably (as well as 'unedited'). USA needs to change their phrasing.

No, you need to change your usage.

To cut a scene means to remove a scene.

If a scene is bleeped, it's not cut out, not removed -- it's still there. Altered, but there.

Gutch220 11-25-10 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 10511289)
No, you need to change your usage.

To cut a scene means to remove a scene.

If a scene is bleeped, it's not cut out, not removed -- it's still there. Altered, but there.

So, I guess adding commercials is also "cutting" the movie since it's being interupted?

joliom 11-29-10 06:04 AM

I caught some of Weird Science today in edited-for-television form. Man, all I could think of was how much stricter they used to be back in the late '80s when they probably originally prepared that TV cut. They even had to alter the line "chips and dip, chains and whips" (I guess that's an S&M "bomb"?). I also really get a nostalgic charge out of hearing "mickey fricky" tossed around in an old TV edit. That's my all-time favorite TV censorship substitution term.