Top Gear - History Channel - 11/21/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-21-10, 12:51 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the UK's most popular series since 1977, Top Gear now brings its high-adrenaline action entertainment to America. Top Gear tracks the colorful history of the automobile and showcases the art of driving, super-cars, extreme stunts & challenges and more.

Tonight at 10pm History Channel
Old 11-21-10, 06:03 PM

Re: Top Gear - History Channel - 11/21/10

For the first time in many, many years for me, there is an embarrassment of riches all at one time. Thanks to the cable gods for reruns!

10:00 - tape the Luther finale on BBCA, watch Top Gear
11:00 - watch the Futurama Christmas special repeat
Tomorrow - watch Luther

Just to be fair, I'm not expecting a lot from the first few eps - there's no way that the American version can compare at first with three Brits who have been working together for years. Adam Ferrara should lighten things up, and the other two seem like the professional gearheads. It should be fun, as long as they have ridiculous challenges.
Old 11-21-10, 09:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just from the first few minutes, it doesn't feel like a top gear. The cinematography seems very basic and plain, No use of crazy filters, very boring camera angles. The show feels liek something that would be on "the powerblock" on spike.

That being said, i will keep watching and still enjoy it i believe.
Old 11-21-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they only focus on American cars I'm so out on this show.
Old 11-21-10, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Been watching the BBC version since about 2002, so I definitely have high standards. Have to say, I really like this one. It keeps the same general ideas from the original, but tweaks them just a bit. I was a bit lukewarm on the Viper segment, but the Lambo challenge sold me.

If for whatever reason you didn't care for it, I'd recommend sticking with it at least once more, because I've read that it gets better.
Old 11-22-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty bad if you ask me. The hosts had no chemistry together or individually, the editing and production values were crap, and the segments were either poor rehashes or previous Top Gear UK segments or just weren't interesting. I didn't have high expectations for this one and the show managed to be even worse. In fairness I haven't seen the very early days of the UK Top Gear (season 1 of the new format for example) but if I hear the name Top Gear or the Stig being thrown around I expect more than this. Had the original pilot with Adam Carolla as one of the hosts been green lit, that would have helped considerably as he has that swarmy wise ass type personality that could have really injected some much needed personality and humor into this one.
Old 11-22-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that there was definitely something lacking. The season teaser they showed looked pretty good, but I was literally nodding off during the Viper vs Cobra segment. Big Star, Little Car wasn't very good. The interview was pedestrian and the track doesn't seem very exciting either. It reminded me that I would love to see the Carolla pilot where he had David Hasselhoff as a guest. Lambo showdown was probably the best of the bunch, although having 3 very similar cars wasn't the brightest idea. For a first show they should have given the guys more free reign to pick their own car and show some individuality.

The hosts were OK, but stiff. I think they were better than any of the TG:Aus combos. I'm really looking forward to a challenge segment and some more car-centric reviews before I pass final judgement on the hosts. And, yes, the camera work isn't up to snuff, although there were a few inspired shots.
Old 11-23-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

That was painful. In fact, it was so painful I fastforwarded through a lot and turned it off just as soon as the Lambo segment started. I saw maybe 2 or 3 brief glimpses (1-2 seconds each) of what makes Top Gear what it is.

First, the hosts were just boring. The guy with glasses is the worst. He comes off as trying to be funny, or saying things that he thinks he should be saying and it's not working. I think you could tell Tanner picked up on that while he was driving the Viper.

Tanner was okay, but very dry. He drove well!

Adam was surprisingly the best of the bunch, or at least showed a combination of wit, timing and common sense.

I can't believe they plowed through the SRPC segment so quickly. It was embarrassing how routinely they went through a checklist to wrap up the segment so quickly. It worse when you realize how much dead time with filler footage they used in the other segments.

I'll keep tabs on it for the next 9 episodes, but I won't be in a rush to watch them.
Old 11-23-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

I liked it enough to keep watching but I think the hosts has a way to go to get comfortable with each other. That will hopefully come with time.
Old 11-23-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

U.S. Version of 'Top Gear' On History Premieres to 1.9 Million
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-million/73086

I watched the show and I think it is ok. They need a lot of work.

Too bad there wasn't a leaked copy of the very first pilot episode of TG USA that Adam filmed.
Old 11-23-10, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sorry, but just because you take three idiots and put them in a TV studio, let them drive some expensive cars around, and call it Top Gear, that doesn't make it Top Gear, unless the three idiots are named Clarkson, Hammond and May.
Old 11-23-10, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Match
U.S. Version of 'Top Gear' On History Premieres to 1.9 Million
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-million/73086

I watched the show and I think it is ok. They need a lot of work.

Too bad there wasn't a leaked copy of the very first pilot episode of TG USA that Adam filmed.
Totally agree, they look more interesting in that photo than these 3 hosts did on the actual show. Oh well..
Old 11-23-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

All I know is the Lamborghini's were bad ass.
Old 11-24-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Me007gold
Just from the first few minutes, it doesn't feel like a top gear. The cinematography seems very basic and plain, No use of crazy filters, very boring camera angles. The show feels liek something that would be on "the powerblock" on spike.
Are you sure you watched the right show? The filming style seemed very reminiscent of the UK Top Gear. Lots of interesting angles, lots of saturated, colored lenses. Maybe you watched in SD. ;-)

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
If they only focus on American cars I'm so out on this show.
What do you propose? They talk about Citroens, Fiats, Alfa Romeos and Holdens? The 3 segments were an American car, a Japanese car, and Italian cars. All that are available in the US. That's the sad thing about watching the UK version, when they talk about a car that's never been available on US soil.

That said, Adam, Tanner and Rutledge were rather stiff, but comparing a pilot episode to the 15th season of UKTG is rather unfair. Luckily, it's on History, for which having even a million people watch would be a success.

-jason
Old 11-24-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What did you guys think of the new test track?

It's obviously longer, but faster, than the original Top Gear test track. The lack of tight turns makes it much less photogenic than the original. Perhaps some onboard cameras could capture it better. They should have at least put the start/finish line after a sharp turn or tricky section of track so they could end the laps with a bang instead of the driver/car just coming around a lazy corner to cross the line.
Old 12-01-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well episode 2 was a big improvement over episode 1, but it still wasn't great. I think it was interesting that they changed the interview pattern.

I did notice on the test track that there is a kink on the front straight, which I guess makes up for the quickness on the back end.

The show still feels too stiff, especially Faust. It's like they're all half bored while going around doing this stuff.
Old 12-01-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
What do you propose? They talk about Citroens, Fiats, Alfa Romeos and Holdens? The 3 segments were an American car, a Japanese car, and Italian cars. All that are available in the US. That's the sad thing about watching the UK version, when they talk about a car that's never been available on US soil.
Well if you read my post again you will notice I said only American cars. So no I don't want them to only talk about Citroens, Fiats, Alfa Romeos and Holdens as much as I don't want them to only talk about Mustangs, Camaros, etc...
Old 12-01-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The ep was better in most respects. The two individual car segments were both good, and the star in a car interview/lap review was miles better. Although it did remind me that they really should have done what they did in the original and have a track day with a slew of D listers and no names to fill out the board a bit.

I was most disappointed in the drifting segment. They just didn't feel natural at all.

Carolla mentioned the show on his podcast the other day. A caller asked him for his opinion and he said he liked it and then went on a jag about how NBC was stupid to pull the plug on his version because they had Knight Rider (a shitty remake of a bad 80's show) tanking at the time. He said he would have loved to have done the History channel version but by the time they approached him he was already committed to making a sitcom pilot for NBC.
Old 12-01-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My problem with it so far is the guys don't really seem to be having fun and that don't have any chemistry. Their in-car interviews while they're driving are just to deadpan and dull. I much prefer the original UK version so far. I love how they get exciting when they're driving and have a lot of fun with each other.
Old 12-05-10, 08:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

i like it

sick cars in HD is a good watch to me
Old 12-06-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Better episode last night than the first two but obviously nowhere near the quality of the BBC show. At least last night they were doing something somewhat original while still following the TG formula and we started to see glimpses of their personalities. I'll keep watching since it seems to be improving a little bit each week but still would probably rather watch an old BBC episode that I hadn't seen in a while than a new one of this
Old 12-06-10, 10:26 AM

I remember them saying they wouldn't bad mouth the cars as much as the UK version, but Tanner still managed to get a few jabs in about the Boss Mustang. Live Rear Axle, Smaller rear brakes, useless front splitter, etc.

D
Old 12-14-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also thought episode 3 was a big improvement. I do think things suffer from losing some time to commercials. The BSSC is an almost worthless segment. Including the lap I think it's lucky to push 4 minutes - worse than a late night interview. Maybe they're longer in person and edited down. They're also not putting cars around the track with the Stig in them. I wish they'd introduce him with more political/culture referencing like Jeremy does. I think it would get more reaction out of the crowd.

The news wasn't a bad add, which is weird since the news is usually one of the worse parts on the original.
Old 12-14-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Not bad this week. I'll keep watching the show.

Anyone seen this? If this show takes off, will this hurt Top Gear USA?
Adam Carolla in gear for Speed Channel pilot
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118028904?refCatId=14
Old 12-14-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Part of the problem is the editing. The first segment this week with the F-150 Raptor segment spread out over multiple commercial breaks but they played it from start to finish. On Top Gear UK, a long segment like that should have been broken up. Part 1 (just Tanner driving the truck), than go to some other segments (maybe interview or the terrible paintball segment) then go back the part vs the Halo jumper after.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.