Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- "Vatos" -- 11/21/10

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- "Vatos" -- 11/21/10

Good episode. Had some tense moments and some stuff I didn't see coming. Still, seemed really ridiculous that the characters just let themselves get bit like that and didn't immediately pull away. I mean, when something bites you or tries to bite you, do you stand perfectly still or try and pull away?

If these are zombies with great hearing and that follow sound, it seems as though arrows and the like are the best weapons.

For those that have red the comics, is what SuckaMC spoilered what really happened?

And obviously they're going to have to shoot all the camp members in the head just in case, especially Amy, since she seems guaranteed to come back as a zombie.
Old 11-21-10, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comic book versus TV show:

Spoiler:

There is no Merle nor his brother in the comic. The whole scene with the Spanish illegals does not happen. In fact, in the comic, Glenn and Rick just go back to camp after they meet and that's that. And, there's no tank even. Oh yeah, there's no Ed. And yeah... Um, Shane dies really quickly when Rick's kid shoots him because he's psychopatic. So aren't you glad you read this?
Old 11-21-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome episode. The whole thing was pretty intense, especially the ending. Love that they're keeping up the gore level. They've done a good job of mixing the human drama with the action.
Old 11-21-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Awesome episode. The whole thing was pretty intense, especially the ending. Love that they're keeping up the gore level. They've done a good job of mixing the human drama with the action.
fixie...
Old 11-21-10, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
fixie...
Thanks for your threadcrap. It was like I was in a Desperate Housewives thread til I saw your post.
Old 11-21-10, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Thanks for your threadcrap. It was like I was in a Desperate Housewives thread til I saw your post.
Hey...he was able to keep it even shorter than his normal one or two sentences, so at least he was thoughtful about it.
Old 11-22-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of zombies attacking the camp all at once. Zombies got carpools!
Cool scene though. As others have pointed out, make sure the dead campers don't come back. I actually felt a little cheated that Amy did not.
Old 11-22-10, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by covenant
Well, it's official. AMC has the worst HD on Dish Network.

It was really bad through Comcast too, at least here in the Bay Area. Last episode actually looked good.

[OB] This was fucking great! [/OB]
Old 11-22-10, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damn fine ending. Another great episode.
Old 11-22-10, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

The thought that I had was for the Vato that got shot in the butt with the recycled and rather un-sanitary arrow. I figured that he would come down with the "fever."

I'm a little confused as to how many people are in the camp. I thought it was somewhere around 10 or 12 (not counting Rick, Glen, T-Dog, and Daryl who seem to spend more time in the city) yet it seemed like there were an awful lot of (Star Trek) red-shirts once the attack started.

Along the lines of character's reactions -- I let the reactions of those being attacked slide (panic, shock, etc.) ... but it bothered me the gang bangers were constantly flinging accusations (you beat him up and shot my guy with an arrow), nobody pointed out the fact that they kidnapped Glen and that Miguel was a dumb-ass about to bring all the zombies down on them. I guess we can chalk it up to this: "Heat of the moment. Mistakes were made."

All in all, I will be severely saddened after episode 6. I do not watch weekly TV shows (I wait for full seasons on DVD), but this one I have made it a point to watch every week. The fact that it is on later and re-run a couple of times immediately afterwards helps!

PS -- I loved the whole nursing home twist. Which brings up another "why" question -- why did they run all the way back to camp rather than going back and asking the Vatos for a car? (They made a point of saying that they fix up cars.)
Old 11-22-10, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe I missed it, but did they explain how Michael Rooker got off the roof of the building? I mean, the door was still chained shut when they all showed up and I didn't notice any fire escape or scaffolding.
Old 11-22-10, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
The thought that I had was for the Vato that got shot in the butt with the recycled and rather un-sanitary arrow. I figured that he would come down with the "fever."
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well in terms of "testing" how deep the producers/writers want to take the story into the environment.

... it seemed like there were an awful lot of (Star Trek) red-shirts once the attack started.
Same thought; I thought one guy was the dude with the baseball bat but it was just some random guy, the dude in the green shirt.

Which brings up another "why" question -- why did they run all the way back to camp rather than going back and asking the Vatos for a car? (They made a point of saying that they fix up cars.
I think they will come up again.
Spoiler:
The previews have the Sheriff mentioning they need backup.

Originally Posted by kstublen
Maybe I missed it, but did they explain how Michael Rooker got off the roof of the building? I mean, the door was still chained shut when they all showed up and I didn't notice any fire escape or scaffolding.
There was a second roof access exit.
Old 11-22-10, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by kstublen
He got out by the other door on the roof. You know the one...it was always there...open, free of walkers, and just out of view of the camera in the previous episode.

--John
Old 11-22-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gmanca
There was a second roof access exit.
Originally Posted by JSwarce
He got out by the other door on the roof. You know the one...it was always there...open, free of walkers, and just out of view of the camera in the previous episode.
You've got to be kidding me.
Old 11-22-10, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The zombie invasion at the end was worth sitting through yet another episode of terribly cliched and stilted writing. But really enjoying the guy with the crossbow though.
Old 11-22-10, 03:28 AM

I hope all of you clamoring for more zombie action are happy now. Given how far the writers have strayed from the comic, I wondered whether Amy's future was analogous to her comic book counterpart; guess we now have our answer.

A lot of zombies attacking the camp all at once. Zombies got carpools!
No, but they do have herds.
Old 11-22-10, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I enjoyed the episode, but mostly for the last 10+ minutes with the Zombie raid at the camp. I thought it was really well shot and tense scene like in a horror film.

Laurie Holden's acting in that final scene where her character's sister died was amazing. IMO even though we really didn't get to know the sister that well through 4 episodes, it was still a sad scene and Holden pulled it off.

I didn't really care for the whole "Vatos" element of the episode. The whole pissing match for Rick's guns and Mexican standoff with the Vatos fell kind of flat for me. I mean it was interesting to see that those guys did have noble intentions.

For a guy who hasn't written for dramatic televison, Kirkman did a good job with the script.
Old 11-22-10, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
The zombie invasion at the end was worth sitting through yet another episode of terribly cliched and stilted writing.
Yeah.

How about the Korean who is in terror being dangled off the edge of the roof with his mouth taped up by the menacing five paragraph summaries one minute, then all in love with their kindness and 'in' on their scene when the guys get back to get him a short while later.

I could list plenty of just painfully obvious things, things that could so easily be written better, but all in all I think this was the best episode yet.
Old 11-22-10, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
I didn't really care for the whole "Vatos" element of the episode. The whole pissing match for Rick's guns and Mexican standoff with the Vatos fell kind of flat for me.
Yeah... but remember in a city of millions with plenty of firearm shops, in the SE no less where firearms are in every other house/apartment on every street I might add, that bag contains the only firearms to be had. They had to have a pissing contest for the only weapons in the whole of Atlanta!

It was in the comics.
Old 11-22-10, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I'm just going to give this show a couple more episodes before I give up on it for a while.
Old 11-22-10, 06:28 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Ya i'll prolly watch two more then wait like a year to see if season 2 is any good
Old 11-22-10, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by belboz
I think I'm just going to give this show a couple more episodes before I give up on it for a while.
Old 11-22-10, 07:29 AM

They are straying farther and farther from the comic. This episode was all new stuff except for the attack on the camp where Amy is killed. I'm still liking it.
Old 11-22-10, 07:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
It was in the comics.
Why are you still here?
Old 11-22-10, 08:44 AM

Pretty good and tense episode. At first the Latino Gang thing worried me as the main guy wasnt a good actor, but it ended up working pretty well in the end.

Though its becoming different then the comic I still really enjoyed the episode. Sucks we only got a couple more episodes left.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.