Old 11-15-10, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
The Event -- "For the Good of Our Country" -- 11/15/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-27

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
President Martinez (Blair Underwood), furious about recent security failures, demands answers from Director of National Intelligence, Blake Sterling (Zeljko Ivanek). When he doesn't receive the progress that he desires, Martinez decides to personally interrogate Michael Buchanan (Scott Patterson) about his involvement in the assassination attempt. While Michael holds to his claim that he doesn't know who is involved, he inadvertently reveals incriminating evidence about someone deep inside the President's staff. Meanwhile, Dempsey (Guest Star Hal Holbrook) dispatches Vicky (Taylor Cole) on a new clandestine mission. And, elsewhere, Sean (Jason Ritter) and Leila (Sarah Roemer) scramble to stay ahead of the covert ops that are trying to silence them and what they know.

Episode 8 of 22

Promo:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqePCSiiHIg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqePCSiiHIg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 11-15-10, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The Event -- "For the Good of Our Country" -- 11/15/10

Bump for the East folks. This one should be interesting. Plus, I like that Vicky is supposedly back.
Old 11-15-10, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another end-of-the-show teaser of something mysteriously cool.

A little more story driven than last week's WTH scene.
Old 11-15-10, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh... and I love how...
Spoiler:
thru and thru gunshot wounds are okay if sewn up on one side and not the other.
Old 11-15-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
Oh... and I love how...
Spoiler:
thru and thru gunshot wounds are okay if sewn up on one side and not the other.
LOL! And how the secret service does a full building sweep, but then is unaware of a back door to a small examining room!

And the 24 overtones were still in this episode. The VP goes missing. "Set up a perimeter!" Then, just before he gets out the name BAM! I liked the twist with the female hit-man though.

Still seems to hold up the theory that the bad guy is the inventor of some sort of fountain of youth. My guess is that he is successful, but in the future, people now can't die. They time travel back to try and stop his invention because they want to be able to restore death as a means to final rest.
Old 11-15-10, 11:29 PM

Where were the creepy kids?

Also, just a theory, but maybe
Spoiler:
Sean is one of them. He doesn't want to talk about his parents to his future inlaws. He looks the same as in his old flashbacks. Again, just a theory.
Old 11-16-10, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by siddd5 View Post
Where were the creepy kids?

Also, just a theory, but maybe
Spoiler:
Sean is one of them. He doesn't want to talk about his parents to his future inlaws. He looks the same as in his old flashbacks. Again, just a theory.
So much for capitalizing on last weeks episode.....

I did not care all that much for this ep. Are the writer's for this show getting paid to hold everything back for the last five minutes of the show? Once again the ending makes you want to see next week to see what happens. Are we going to have another episode next week where they do not even address the ending events from last week's show? At this point, The Event is becoming a show if I see it I see it....if I miss it...I miss it.
Old 11-16-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was pretty entertaining, at least the part with the President and the VP.

The Sean part was laughable at best.
Old 11-16-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

meh. this show is losing my attention quickly. might dump it at the hiatus.
Old 11-16-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are new eps planned for 11/22 and 11/29, but then a hiatus...

The Event returns on Feb. 28, 9-11 p.m. and resumes in its regular time slot March 7.

Wow... three months. Ouch!
Old 11-16-10, 04:15 PM

Yeah no problem. The 3 month layoff has consistently worked so well for other shows....
Old 11-16-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
Yeah no problem. The 3 month layoff has consistently worked so well for other shows....
Especially serialized ones...

This really frustrates me. Seriously, it makes you want to watch nothing until it's at least in year two...
Old 11-16-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Event returns on Feb. 28, 9-11 p.m. and resumes in its regular time slot March 7.

Get the coffin ready, this show won't survive that. I'm only watching to see what the Event is... yeah, they suckered me.
Old 11-16-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like they don't have enough confidence in it to put it on during Feb sweeps.
Old 11-16-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^^ Obviously you all haven't read the full story with all the moves that NBC made. NBC is launching The Cape (Super Hero show with Summer Glau) in the timeslot for the 8 weeks in 2011 that The Event is off. NBC greenlit a shit load of midseason shows and they don't have enough timeslots. Monday at 9pm is a good timeslot to launch The Cape and then it will have to be moved once The Event comes back. So, it's not about "lack of confidence" or whatever. If that was the case, NBC should have canned it before giving it the back 9.

Yeah I know long breaks mostly kill serialized shows like this, but what could they do? It's 22 episodes and you need to pad it out for a 36 week schedule. Plus, you need to find a way to launch your midseason shows as well.
Old 11-17-10, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Okay, enough of the complaining about the scheduling.

Just finished this episode. Thought it was pretty entertaining. Liked the twist with the VP being involved with the conspiracy.

Now what the hell is going on with the Hal Holbrook character? That was really weird at the end.

It was good to see Vicky again. Can't get enough of the hot badass chick.

The Sean/Leila stuff in this episode was kind of stupid though. Now how about that car that Sean and Leila breaks into that luckily has a tool box and screwdriver for them to jack that car. The scene at the pharmacy was also ridiculous. Since when do Pharmicists go shopping for you, even if you are a doctor, when you give them a laundry list like that? I thought most of them just handle pills.
Old 11-17-10, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So basically there are 2 major players in this whole "Event" conspiracy.

A) Hal Holbrook (Dempsey's) group with DB Sweeney, the VP, formerly Vicky and a large assortment of rogue government operatives.

B) Sophia and Thomas' Alien group from Alaska which also includes Simon Lee.

** Sean, Leila, Michael (Leila's Dad), the President are basically pawns of this conspiracy.

Was Paula Malcomson in this episode? I saw her credited in the beginning, but I don't recall seeing her.
Old 11-17-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i believe we are in the middle of a war....

Hal's group vs Thomas's group....

bad aliens vs good aliens...
Old 11-17-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

The Sean/Leila stuff in this episode was kind of stupid though. Now how about that car that Sean and Leila breaks into that luckily has a tool box and screwdriver for them to jack that car. The scene at the pharmacy was also ridiculous. Since when do Pharmicists go shopping for you, even if you are a doctor, when you give them a laundry list like that? I thought most of them just handle pills.
And they certainly don't fill a simple pill prescription within a minute.

This show half-entertains me and half is .

I don't mind the upcoming hiatus myself. Means stuff I don't have to worry about taking up tuners or catching up with recordings during college hoops season.
Old 11-17-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Now what the hell is going on with the Hal Holbrook character? That was really weird at the end.
Could it be that the scene at the end with Dempsey (Holbrook's character) was
Spoiler:
him just imagining a younger version of himself in the mirror, rather than doing some kind of alien-morph? I think it ties into the last scene with the freaky kids last week. The aliens don't age (or age at an extremely slow rate). Perhaps there's a group that started scientific studies on the Alaskan prisoners, trying to find out what made them biologically "tick". An offshoot of this research is applying it human aging - trying to find the fountain of youth. At some point, Dempsey enters the scene: a rich, powerful, amoral, but aging man. He's the man behind a group doing experiments with alien biology on human aging. And perhaps the freaky kids are products of those experiments gone wrong.

So the groups are:
1) Sophia and her alien friends. Who I don't get the sense have an evil agenda. And after being imprisoned for 60 years, it's hard to blame people like Thomas getting frustrated.

2) Dempsey, with all his political and military pawns. Who sees that the aliens can give him something he desperately wants (youth), and will do anything to keep them under wraps until he has it.

3) Everyone else caught in between the plans of these groups, and trying to figure out what's going on: Martinez, Sterling, Sean and Leila, etc.

That could be completely off-base - just my guess for now

I'm finding this show a bit frustrating. Maybe 24 burned me out for government mole stories - Lee last week, VP this week. And the teasing with having them either found out or spilling their secrets. I just rolled my eyes at the final phone call: (paraphrasing) "The man behind it all - it's ..." BOOM Characters alternate acting extremely smart or extremely stupid (depending on what serves the plot at that moment). And ending episodes with teasers that aren't even addressed in the next episode.

Really sucks about the hiatus. A show that handled that aspect of programming well was 24 (packing all the episodes into half a season). Though certainly a new show wouldn't be allowed to do that. Heroes did a nice job with that too, breaking seasons into a couple of "Volumes". I hope the writers will at least pick a decent stopping point.