TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville -- "Abandoned" -- 11/12/10

Old 11-12-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Smallville -- "Abandoned" -- 11/12/10

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Lois (Erica Durance) finds a video made for her by her mother, Ella Lane, before she died. After watching the tape, Lois makes a drastic decision about her relationship with Clark (Tom Welling) that takes her to the Fortress, where she comes face to face with Jor-El and Lara. Meanwhile, Tess has a nightmare involving herself as a child and a music box. Upon awakening, she finds the music box in Luthor mansion and sets out to find out who planted it there. Clark accompanies her to an orphanage run by Granny Goodness (guest star Christine Willes) who may not have the young girls' best intentions in mind. One of the young women living there, Harriet (guest star Lindsay Hartley), finds Clark snooping around and decides to take matters into her own very sharp hands.

Episode 8 of 22

Special Guest star:

Spoiler:
Teri Hatcher as Ella Lane
Old 11-12-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Smallville -- "Abandoned" -- 11/12/10

Promo:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7-3PduRLpHE?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7-3PduRLpHE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Spoiler of Guest star in this promo
Old 11-12-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty good episode. Granny and Tess were great. Teri's scene was OK.

So that was Justin Hartley's real-life wife.
Old 11-12-10, 11:23 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tess turning out to be Lionel's daughter has to be the least shocking twist ever.
Old 11-13-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

at least she deserves to be living in the Luthor mansion now

felt like filler although it was setting up future stuff
Old 11-13-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Delores Herbig was awesome. Lois was adorable in a couple scenes. She has that doe eyed innocence expression down.

The twist was horrible as was the Kryptonite cauldron crap.

The Clark & Lois mother scenes were too contrived. Why was Lois's mother talking about the man in her life? It was supposed to be a personal message to her daughter and ended up indirectly being about Clark. The whole Jor-El stuff is still a mess.
Old 11-13-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only thing that was good about the Cauldron of Krypto was a shirtless Welling scene.
Good to see the Dog again. He has been missing for a while.
Old 11-13-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

it was also good to see him still using some of his powers even though there was kryponite present
they sometimes make him completely destroyed by even just a little K in the area
Old 11-13-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

My only thought during the cauldron scene was why freeze the chain and wait for it to break when he could have just melted it faster?
Old 11-13-10, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
My only thought during the cauldron scene was why freeze the chain and wait for it to break when he could have just melted it faster?
I'm guessing he couldn't muster heat vision due to the kryptonite
Old 11-14-10, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I enjoyed this episode. I'm guessing that Granny Goodness will be a player in future episodes along with Darkseid. Recently, I rented the Superman/Batman Apocalypse direct to DVD movie and became a little more familiar with the Granny Goodness character.

To answer Ranger's question, the woman in the above promo photo with the Freddy claws is indeed Hartley's real life wife.

I like Teri Hatcher alot, but I wasn't really impressed with her little guest appearance. Seemed like a cheap way to get a known guest star like her. I'm guessing the producers gave her agent a call and she agreed to drive to the Warner Bros. lot since it's not to far from where they shoot Desperate Housewives and shoot her "video" scene in some random stage that way she doesn't have to fly to Canada and interact with anyone on the show. It was a poignant scene in a way, but I would have rather seen a flashback with a younger Lois and maybe Lucy interacting with Teri.

I did enjoy the video at the end with younger Jor-El and Lara. At least younger Jor-El isn't a douche bag like her voice counterpart. I think we mentioned this before when she 1st guest starred on the show, but Helen Slater is gorgeous. She's gotten much better looking with age.

The Lutessa/Tess twist was interesting. However, I don't think when her character was 1st introduced 2 seasons ago that they planned it that way. I vaguely recall Tess mentioning something of previously being in love with Lex.
Old 11-14-10, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well... Luke liked Leia at first too.

I thought it was kinda cool that Hatcher had her Lois & Clark hairstyle, not her Desperate Housewives one.
Old 11-14-10, 10:11 AM

My brain may be making this up, but wasn't there a storyline dealing with Lionel and an illegitimate child in one of the past seasons?
Old 11-14-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Super J View Post
My brain may be making this up, but wasn't there a storyline dealing with Lionel and an illegitimate child in one of the past seasons?
Yes, but I think Lex had him killed.

I don't read DC comics, but I did just watch Superman/Batman Apocalypse, where Grannie Goodness was a secondary character. I looked her up on Wikipedia, and thought that Smallville did a pretty good job introducing her on the budget of a TV show.
Old 11-14-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, Lex had a brother/clone created by Lionel (remember, he was in charge of the Planet and had a thing with Lois for a short while) but as you say Lex murdered him. Probably why Lionel wouldn't want Lex to know he had a half-sister.

That said I thought it was kind of lame, and they should have just kept Tess unrelated.
Old 11-14-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
If I recall my Superman lore correctly, heat vision is his most energy consuming power. So it'd be the first to go whilst he's afflicted by Kryptonite.
Old 11-14-10, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't recall exactly, but did Lex have a baby sister when he was young that he inadveratly caused the death of? If so, I was thinking Tess was a clone of that sister.
Old 11-15-10, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

The Lutessa/Tess twist was interesting. However, I don't think when her character was 1st introduced 2 seasons ago that they planned it that way. I vaguely recall Tess mentioning something of previously being in love with Lex.
I'm betting it was planned that far in advance. Lex had a sister in the comics that after seeing he had become a criminal mastermind changed her name to stay away from him.

Her name? Lena (Tess's middle name, nice homage) Thorul.
Old 11-15-10, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tess was based off of the "Ms Tessmacher" character from the Superman movies, and also Lex's female bodyguard "Mercy Graves" from TAS.
Old 11-15-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I'm alone but I thought that was a horrible episode. What was the Krypotnite cauldron for? Freddy fingers? Really? Teri Hatcher was wasted but I guess you take what you can get when you're borrowing a star from another TV show.

I know it's formula to waste an episode and then throw in something good during the last segment but it just didn't work for me this time.

I guess the bright spot was that it was a Tess centric episode and the more Tess the better as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-15-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Kryptonite cauldron was used to temper the weapons Granny's "Female Furies" used (it's assumed that Darkseid knows all about Kryptonian's weakness to K, he's a god after all), and the "Freddy Fingers" character as you say is based off of a Female Furies character (same goes with whip-girl).
Old 11-15-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought the ep was okay. Still happy with the Clark/Lois interactions. Glad that Tess seems to be on the side of good. I'm not exactly opposed to the "twist" of her being a Luthor, but I hope they don't use it as an excuse/crutch for her becoming a villain again. I'm fine with her being on the side of good.

Don't know much about Granny Goodness, but I always like seeing Dolores pop up on other shows.
Old 11-16-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ayre View Post
The Clark & Lois mother scenes were too contrived. Why was Lois's mother talking about the man in her life? It was supposed to be a personal message to her daughter and ended up indirectly being about Clark. The whole Jor-El stuff is still a mess.
This. Didnt like this episode. The whole "evil speech" at the end was ridiculous.
Old 11-17-10, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guess I didn't hate this as much as a lot of you. Granted, it wasn't the best of the season, but it wasn't total crap.

Lois showing off her skills to find they fortress key and also showing Clark how much further she's willing to go for him.

The Tess stuff was just weird. I agree I don't think that's where they were giong when they brought the character on board years ago. It does explain why Lex would be willing to give her control of the company. It does also give new insight into her wanting to take care of Alexander and gives it a less gross spin, because I do agree she said in the past she loved him and it didn't seem like in the brother/sister way. I do think they had mentioned a dead sibling, but I didn't think it was Julian at that point.

The Granny Goodness part was played well, but the minions came off as cheesy. I'd rather they were done like the Mord Sith from Ledgend of the Seeker. Now those are creepy and instill fear and torture.

The Jor-El bit was weird, but I guess explains why he's such an ass most of the time. Do we yet know why he has Terrance Stamps voice since that's not the same as Julian Sands?

I thought Terri Hatcher was okay. I watched parts of the L&C pilot last week and she was much better here than in that! I guess I did expect to see more tape segments instead of just that intro.
Old 11-17-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
I thought it was kinda cool that Hatcher had her Lois & Clark hairstyle, not her Desperate Housewives one.
Agreed, I love Lois & Clark, and that brought back nice memories.