DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Conan O'Brien - Shows, Projects, and News (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/581777-conan-obrien-shows-projects-news.html)

AudioWizard 04-12-10 11:53 AM

Conan O'Brien - Shows, Projects, and News

Conan O'Brien coming to TBS

Posted: 12:44 PM ET
And the winner of the Conan O'Brien sweepstakes is ... TBS.
According to a press release sent out by the cable network (which, like CNN, is a unit of Time Warner), the comedian is joining TBS to host a late-night show that is expected to debut in November. O'Brien's show will be followed on TBS' schedule by George Lopez's "Lopez Tonight," which will move to midnight.
"In three months I've gone from network television to Twitter to performing live in theater, and now I'm headed to basic cable," O'Brien said in the statement. "My plan is working perfectly."
O'Brien is currently embarking on a nationwide comedy tour, but he made bigger headlines earlier this year when NBC decided to move Jay Leno back to "The Tonight Show's" late-night slot. O'Brien, who had been hosting "Tonight," left the network.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04...coming-to-tbs/

Thought we might as well start fresh now that he has a "Show".

JohnSlider 04-12-10 11:57 AM

Re: Conan Picks Networks and it's....TBS

At least it's on cable. More free reign. Good for him.

Chew 04-12-10 11:57 AM

What's more shocking than it being TBS is why it's not FX/Fox?

BJacks 04-12-10 11:59 AM

Latest reports are that Fox affiliates wanted to stick with the syndicated programs they air in the 11-12 spot, as they're [comparatively] highly rated.

chuckd21 04-12-10 12:02 PM

So he pushes TBS' Tonight Show to midnight. What an asshole. ;)

jpb07 04-12-10 12:04 PM

Right where he belongs...

He should have been more patient and not forced NBC to pressure Leno out to begin with. I'm sure he and his family are just going to love living in the deep south after his stints in NYC and LA.

stingermck 04-12-10 12:05 PM

Well...thats unexpected. So TBS has something I want to watch now?

movieking 04-12-10 12:05 PM

That is a complete shock to me.

movieking 04-12-10 12:07 PM

From his Twitter account:

The good news: I will be doing a show on TBS starting in November! The bad news: I'll be playing Rudy on the all new Cosby Show.

RichC2 04-12-10 12:09 PM

Lopez tonight is so painfully unfunny, but kind of shitty he's getting bumped considering he's their first (and currently only) late night host.

Still, at least Conan will be back :up:

DVD Josh 04-12-10 12:09 PM

You heard it here first - TDS and TCR will get better ratings than this.

Conan is done. Bye.

Gizmo 04-12-10 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by jpb07 (Post 10100717)
Right where he belongs...

He should have been more patient and not forced NBC to pressure Leno out to begin with. I'm sure he and his family are just going to love living in the deep south after his stints in NYC and LA.

Totally! I mean, after 15+ years he should have waited another 15!

Gizmo 04-12-10 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 10100727)
Lopez tonight is so painfully unfunny, but kind of shitty he's getting bumped considering he's their first (and currently only) late night host.

Still, at least Conan will be back :up:

You think Lopez cares? He now has Conan as a lead-in which will mean for more guests, more press, higher ratings etc. Good news for Lopez...not so sure for Conan. TBS....would have never guessed.

outcastja 04-12-10 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by jpb07 (Post 10100717)

George Lopez does his show from LA. What makes you think Conan will move the show anywhere but LA or NYC?

If Conan was going the cable route, I would have hoped he would have went with FX or even HBO.

Truffaut Fan 04-12-10 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 10100731)

Conan is done. Bye.

I think you're right. It's a terrible career move. Even if the money wasn't right, at the very least he should have tried syndication. He's got more than enough money from the NBC settlement and should have picked the place where he'd get the most exposure.

MrSmearkase 04-12-10 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 10100731)

What's TDS and TCR?

Chew 04-12-10 12:20 PM

The Daily Show
The Colbert Report

Anubis2005X 04-12-10 12:20 PM

TBS, really? I doubt I'll ever watch as I really only watch Daily Show and Colbert Report occasionally, but I wish him luck.

MrSmearkase 04-12-10 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chew (Post 10100756)
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report

Thanks!

chuckd21 04-12-10 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Truffaut Fan (Post 10100738)
I think you're right. It's a terrible career move. Even if the money wasn't right, at the very least he should have tried syndication. He's got more than enough money from the NBC settlement and should have picked the place where he'd get the most exposure.

From no job to job? I'd say that's a good career move. The Tonight Show is gone. Fox didn't want to move syndicated programming. He should just wait around?

If he went to Fox there would be crazy ratings expectations. He'll double TBS' existing numbers in that current time slot. He gets paid, gets to have fun on television without as much stress as a network gig, and TBS' ratings go up. Win for all.

DVD Josh 04-12-10 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Truffaut Fan (Post 10100738)

I would have preferred he just waited FOX out. Maybe he couldn't get back on in Oct. 2010, but if he waited for syndication contracts to run out at the affiliates maybe he could have gotten back in Summer 2011. In the meantime, he could have done specials for TBS or FOX or continued his tour or whatever to stay in the limelight.

This is just a bizarre move and a bad business decision.

superfro 04-12-10 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by outcastja (Post 10100736)
George Lopez does his show from LA. What makes you think Conan will move the show anywhere but LA or NYC?

Will the wonders of technology ever cease?! :lol:

Jay G. 04-12-10 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 10100819)
I would have preferred he just waited FOX out. Maybe he couldn't get back on in Oct. 2010, but if he waited for syndication contracts to run out at the affiliates maybe he could have gotten back in Summer 2011.

Who's to say he can't do that now? I haven't seen anything regarding the length of the contract. Maybe Conan included a clause where he can leave the network whenever he wants, or maybe the deal is only for a year. Meanwhile, he can get back on TV while continuing to negotiate with FOX for a move to their network at a later date.

Regarding TBS moving Lopez's show:
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/...-heads-to-tbs/

The network said O’Brien only began talking to execs there last week, and Lopez even called O’Brien himself. “I can’t think of anything better than doing my show with Conan as a lead-in,” Lopez said in a statement.

DGibFen 04-12-10 01:09 PM

BREAKING NEWS! 2ND UPDATE 10:45 AM: We hear that Conan O'Brien will own the late night show on TBS, the same way that David Letterman owns his show on CBS (both the Late Show and the Late Late Show). O'Brien's salary is north of $10M (not including ownership). And Fox is pretty shellshocked, apparently kept in the dark from the reaction we're getting to today's big announcement.

10:20 AM UPDATE: The news that Conan O'Brien has picked a new TV home comes just as Conan kicks off his comedy tour today. Yes, this venue is a surprise. But these days, it's not like there's a big difference between a network and a cable show: all those 500+ channels seem indistinguishable. And TBS has done a terrific job branding and promoting Lopez Tonight. (O’Brien began talks in earnest with TBS just last week, after George Lopez personally called him to ask that he consider joining the network’s late-night line-up. “I can’t think of anything better than doing my show with Conan as my lead-in,” Lopez said. “It’s the beginning of a new era in late-night comedy.”)

A lot of showbiz reporters got it wrong (not us!) speculating about where Conan would land. They were fixated on Fox and assumed he would only go to a network. But the fact is that, we knew from the very beginning, Team Conan (including his exec producer Jeff Ross, and WME's Rick Rosen and Ari Emanuel, and manager Gavin Palone), were thinking way outside the network box. For instance, there were discussions with Microsoft about an XBox deal for Conan's show that would have broken new ground. And yes, discussions took place with Fox. Long presumed the most natural choice for the comedian, who had been clear that he was only interested in a nightly talk show, the sticking point was clearing a time slot behind the late evening news where the Fox O&O [owned and operated] and affiliate stations all have long-term syndication deals.

On the other hand, TBS offered O'Brien a weeknight platform (Monday-through-Thursday) without the hassle of having to launch in only parts of the country if not all markets were able to be cleared. "But TBS was far more aggressive from the very beginning. They wooed him hard," one insider tells me. "And Conan was incredibly impressed by executives there." Team Conan also liked the strong lead-in of Family Guy and The Office, as well as the prospect that on cable he could have "more freedom to be creatively more exciting," a source tells us. "And then George [Lopez] called Conan and convinced him to do it."

The good news is that, since he is going to a cable network, Conan won't face the same ratings scrutiny as if he were to go head-to-head with David Letterman and Jay Leno on a broadcast network. But airing from 11 PM to midnight Monday to Thursday, O’Brien will now face off directly with the formidable basic cable late-night duo of Comedy Central’s Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report.

We understand the budget for the show will be the same as it was on NBC. And that, of course, "the deal is very good" especially considering he already has NBC's $40 million in his pocket. And, of course, Conan was, well, Conan about it all: “In three months I’ve gone from network television to Twitter to performing live in theaters, and now I’m headed to basic cable. My plan is working perfectly.”
http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/cona...akes-tbs-deal/

Brent L 04-12-10 01:10 PM

If it was April 1st I'd instantly just assume that this is an April Fool's joke...and a bad one at that.