Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Conan Picks Networks and it's....TBS

So, I'm looking at:

11:00 - Conan on TBS
12:35 - Craig Ferguson on CBS
1:35-ish - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart/The Colbert Report block re-air on Comedy Central

Part of me is beginning to consider a DVR, but the truth is, if I don't catch these kinds of shows when they air (or re-air in the case of Comedy Central's shows), I'm just not likely to watch them.
Old 04-12-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, the irony.

We've confirmed that Conan does own his new late night talk show on TBS, and it will be Los Angeles-based ("he's not moving his kids again"), and the deal is "very long-term" paying him $10+ million in upfront salary (in addition to his profitable equity).

Fox just issued this statement: "Conan is a great talent and we wish him every success." Sources tell us that Fox's senior executive team which had been in discussions with Team Conan told O'Brien's representatives last week that it didn't look like a deal could happen imminently because of all the clearances necessary to launch a late-night show. Many of Fox's O&O and affiliate stations were locked into long-term syndication deals for the time slot following their local late night news. "They couldn't unwind the long-term syndication deals with 30 Rock and The Office," a source tells us. Insiders stress that Fox still wanted Conan despite the structural issues. They also insist Peter Rice did everything he could, but that a deal just couldn't be made immediately. They say Fox wasn't shell-shocked by today's news and in fact knew about it in advance, but the broadcast network had agreed to keep all information confidential while O'Brien negotiated elsewhere and sealed the deal.
30 Rock and The Office are owned by (surprise!) NBC Universal.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/cona...akes-tbs-deal/
Old 04-12-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,132 Posts

But...TBS SUCKS.
Old 04-12-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I like the move. Now I can record (or watch live) at 8pm...
Old 04-12-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I don't really understand the vitriol for TBS. They mostly air syndicated shows that range from decent (Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens) to fantastic (Seinfeld, The Office). Adding Conan as original programming certainly ups their quality and seems like a fine fit for Conan and his brand of humor. The only thing I really don't like about TBS is the obnoxiously large promotional overlays that they do.
Old 04-12-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WAIT A SECOND. I just thought about something: Does TBS run those damn animated ads during Lopez? I would HATE to see those ruin Conan's shows.

Edit: Guess I need to type a little faster...
Old 04-12-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Shit, I just realize I'm going to have to pay for Conan now.
Old 04-12-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Does it really matter what channel he lands on? Conan's demographic are the DVR and internet using folks who really shouldn't care what number they need to input into their magic boxes to get Conan to appear. It's the Leno crowd who tend to watch shows as they air and have some strange aversion to using the "clicker."
Old 04-12-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mugwump
Does it really matter what channel he lands on? Conan's demographic are the DVR and internet using folks who really shouldn't care what number they need to input into their magic boxes to get Conan to appear. It's the Leno crowd who tend to watch shows as they air and have some strange aversion to using the "clicker."
Agreed, the only way it would really matter was if he was on a network that wasn't commonly available on most cable systems. However, TBS is one of the staples of basic cable so should be all set.
Old 04-12-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If Conan "hulus up" after each ep then I'm good.
Old 04-12-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

TBS does suck. Why couldn't it at least be TNT? I mean that station is at least a little bit more respectable. TBS is forever known to me as playing Saved by the Bell reruns.

It must have been a really good deal if he went to TBS.
Old 04-12-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like TBS more if they didn't do that fake HD stretch to shows.
Do they still do that?
I haven't watched that channel in a long time partly because of that.
Old 04-12-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mugwump
Conan's demographic are the DVR and internet using folks who really shouldn't care what number they need to input into their magic boxes to get Conan to appear. It's the Leno crowd who tend to watch shows as they air and have some strange aversion to using the "clicker."
Now, I readily own up to having little interest in watching late night fare outside its original broadcast window. But please, let's not make things uncivil by lumping me in with Leno's fans. I'm a Craig Ferguson guy.

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
TBS does suck. Why couldn't it at least be TNT? I mean that station is at least a little bit more respectable. TBS is forever known to me as playing Saved by the Bell reruns.
I still think of the Atlanta Braves when I think of TBS. Sometimes, I think about Captain Planet, which is really weird because I never actually watched the show.
Old 04-12-10, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
TBS is forever known to me as playing Saved by the Bell reruns.
Saved By The Bell is the new Walker Texas Ranger. You heard it here first.
Old 04-12-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Expect Conan's head to pop up every 37 seconds during MLB playoffs (ala "Frank TV" promos)
Old 04-12-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGibFen
Oh, the irony.

My Fox affiliate plays According to Jim
Old 04-12-10, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I forgot TBS was even a station...goodbye Conan
Old 04-12-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Expect Conan's head to pop up every 37 seconds during MLB playoffs (ala "Frank TV" promos)
That's the kind of thing I would see Conan mocking on his show. I wonder if he'll be made to do those by the network to promote his show, or is he so aware of how obnoxious that is that he has the clout not to do it?
Old 04-12-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Just now saw this promo on TBS (killing time watching an old "Family Guy" episode before Jack Bauer busts up the joint):

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Rl7wP5aTKQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Rl7wP5aTKQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 04-12-10, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DGibFen
Oh, the irony.

We get Seinfeld, The Office, and TMZ on our Fox affiliate as late night programming.

Bad news about Conan, I really wanted to see him eventually knock off Jay, when his old, easily amused fans drop dead or are replaced by people looking for something actually funny, but good news if this means we're going to be getting 30 Rock reruns at night anytime soon.
Old 04-12-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Low risk for a high reward and even mediocre numbers will go over well. I really hope he gets full reign over everything. While I find him inconsistent at times, he has definitely improved. I'm curious to see how he brings in technology, as he is much more forward thinking than Jay or Dave.
Old 04-12-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

what was in the package deal that made it an offer he could not refuse? The LAT provides context:

As part of his deal with Time Warner’s Turner Broadcasting to host a late-night show on TBS, O’Brien will have ownership of the show. That will give him the potential to make a lot more money then if he were just a hired hand hosting a show owned by a network. O’Brien’s deal is for five years.

A deal between O’Brien’s camp and TBS was struck in about 72 hours, according to people involved in the talks.

TBS previously had indicated it was not interested in O’Brien, but Turner Entertainment chief Steve Koonin said in an interview that was in part because “we assumed he had a deal with Fox.”

Koonin reached out to O’Brien’s team and then went back to his own late-night host, George Lopez, who was also enthusiastic about the idea of bringing Conan to TBS. O’Brien will have his show at 11 p.m., and Lopez will move to midnight. Although Lopez will have a later time period, he also will likely have a bigger lead-in audience.

“We think Conan will, of course, help us attract other talent,” Koonin said.
Old 04-12-10, 10:19 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I think I would have rather have him accept the move to midnight and keep the Tonight Show. This show probably wont be as cool as his show on NBC.
Old 04-12-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by g
I think I would have rather have him accept the move to midnight and keep the Tonight Show. This show probably wont be as cool as his show on NBC.
how can you possibly think that? this is cable and not prime time network under the same scrutiny of network standards. i see the potential for some kick ass comedy.

i assume since we haven't heard about andy/the band they are coming along, too.
Old 04-12-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's up with all the "oh it's just TBS, not a major network" people? Are they stuck in 1986 for some reason? Cable has been a major player for well over a decade now, competing with and beating the broadcast networks in quality. Even Fox with its "edge" has to appease the censors. It's an excellent move overall, and starting in November means that he won't get bumped by baseball either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.