DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Conan O'Brien - Shows, Projects, and News (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/581777-conan-obrien-shows-projects-news.html)

islandclaws 04-13-10 10:26 AM

Re: Conan Picks Networks and it's....TBS

I don't see why poeple give a shit he's going to be on TBS. Set your DVR, watch the show... I don't understand why seeing a TBS logo instead of any other matters.

starman9000 04-13-10 10:34 AM

I care slightly, because I don't have cable, but I'm rarely up that late anyway. (I don't care that he's on TBS specifically though)

CaptStormy 04-13-10 10:34 AM

I enjoy watching TBS and very happy that Conan will be back on TV. And I think it shows a lot of class that he did not pursue the offers till he got a green light of support from George Lopez.

Hokeyboy 04-13-10 10:40 AM

People are being absolutely retarded over the fact that he's going with TBS. "Oh if it were FOX or TNT I'd watch... but TBS? Forget it." Does anyone really care more about the channel over the program they're watching? If, say, "Mad Men" was broadcast on WGN instead of AMC, would it automatically be an inferior show? Are people really that idiotic? ABC was once viewed as a third-rate, inferior network too... 40 years ago. Get out of the Stone Age already. :lol:

JuryDuty 04-13-10 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10102595)
I don't see why poeple give a shit he's going to be on TBS. Set your DVR, watch the show... I don't understand why seeing a TBS logo instead of any other matters.

I'm sure Conan got a GREAT deal for himself, but being on cable isn't yet the same as being on one of the big 4. Despite the fact that cable is hurting ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX, these networks all get more viewers because people are tuned into them for local news and not everyone has cable.

For me, I don't have cable anymore. I just don't find it worth the $1000/year price when almost all the shows I watch are on local channels or the Internet. That's why I won't watch Conan now. Because I can't. :(

Cardiff Giant11 04-13-10 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty (Post 10102621)
I'm sure Conan got a GREAT deal for himself, but being on cable isn't yet the same as being on one of the big 4. Despite the fact that cable is hurting ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX, these networks all get more viewers because people are tuned into them for local news and not everyone has cable.

For me, I don't have cable anymore. I just don't find it worth the $1000/year price when almost all the shows I watch are on local channels or the Internet. That's why I won't watch Conan now. Because I can't. :(

Short of it going to Fox it was going to end up on cable anyway even if it wasn't TBS. While basic cable isn't the big 4, it still hits a pretty vast audience. Like you said, you do a lot of viewing on the internet and I'm bet money it'll be available legally streaming on either Hulu or a related site.

kefrank 04-13-10 12:38 PM

I'm still waiting for anyone to explain exactly why TBS sucks so bad that they would not watch Conan's show simply because it's on TBS. I genuinely don't get it and would like to understand.

kefrank 04-13-10 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Luds (Post 10102312)
Maybe so, I'm not even interested enough to read about it, perhaps it's true.

Of course you're interested enough to read about it. You opened this thread, read something, and responded. If you weren't interested in this situation, you would never have opened the thread to begin with, let alone participated in it. You'll need to come up with another excuse for your ignorance that is more believable.

The point is though, that even if Conan did bump him, or even got the network to fire him, you wouldn't hear a thing about it.
That may be the emptiest "point" I've ever seen on these forums, as it's completely hypothetical and has no basis in reality.

Doug Heffernan 04-13-10 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 10102842)
I'm still waiting for anyone to explain exactly why TBS sucks so bad that they would not watch Conan's show simply because it's on TBS. I genuinely don't get it and would like to understand.

This is beyond me as well. What difference does it make??

UAIOE 04-13-10 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by RayChuang (Post 10102278)
People forget that in the spring of 1993, even with David Letterman's name recognition it took a LOT of convincing (and some arm-twisting!) by CBS to get most of its affiliates to carry The Late Show with David Letterman by the time that show premiered.

I remember what the local CBS station aired before Letterman had his show, they showed M*A*S*H reruns.

OscarBluth 04-13-10 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10102619)
People are being absolutely retarded over the fact that he's going with TBS. "Oh if it were FOX or TNT I'd watch... but TBS? Forget it." Are people really that idiotic?

Yes. I no longer use Tide because the grocery store moved it to the picnic supplies aisle. Sure, they also moved the laundry sign, but it's still the damn picnic aisle! :mad:

TheMovieman 04-13-10 02:57 PM

Some posts in this thread remind me of this scene:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p7w64fbqYQY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p7w64fbqYQY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

SonOfAStu 04-13-10 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 10102239)
That crowd reaction is insane:

Insane compared to what? The people browsing at the public library? Yes. The crowd reaction at [insert name of famous celebrity/band here] making a public appearance to their fans? Not really insane. Sounds like the camera person had a shrieker in their midst.

shaun3000 04-13-10 10:39 PM

He had a two-minute standing ovation before he could get a word in edgewise... What is your definition of insane??

SonOfAStu 04-13-10 11:11 PM

Certainly not something that you would see at the opening of a tour of any big name star.

Darknite39 04-14-10 01:41 AM

And Leno's new band leader is...

http://digs.by/9SIcDA

Spoiler:
Not Max, thank God.

Boba Fett 04-14-10 01:57 AM

Some more AMAZING crowd shot footage from last night's show; it just goes to show you how rare Conan (and Craig Ferguson) are. I could never picture a Leno, a Letterman, or even the late great, Carson going out on stage and having that much fun:

superfro 04-14-10 02:01 AM

It's killing me to not watch those videos, but I'm worried there will be a bunch of skit crossover on the tour and don't want to ruin anything I'll get to see live. :(

Going around with all the writers should allow them to stay pretty topical and current though. Which is great!

Boba Fett 04-14-10 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by superfro (Post 10104511)
It's killing me to not watch those videos, but I'm worried there will be a bunch of skit crossover on the tour and don't want to ruin anything I'll get to see live. :(

Going around with all the writers should allow them to stay pretty topical and current though. Which is great!

I'm hoping that maybe, the NYC show gets released commercially. Tickets sold out way too fast and traveling to Eugene the other night just wasn't feasible. I really think he'd have come to Portland instead, but Kevin Smith was booked in town for the same night and had been for some time.

RayChuang 04-14-10 07:10 AM

I'm disappointed that too many people still give this :down: to the idea of "Team CoCo" joining TBS.

As I said earlier, we're forgetting that TBS is generally available in the Extended Basic or Extended Digital Basic tier of most cable systems and available in most packages for DirecTV and Dish Network in both standard definition and high definition channels. As such, O'Brien is going to have a potentially very large audience anyway when his new show starts in November 2010.

Luds 04-14-10 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 10102852)
Of course you're interested enough to read about it. You opened this thread, read something, and responded. If you weren't interested in this situation, you would never have opened the thread to begin with, let alone participated in it. You'll need to come up with another excuse for your ignorance that is more believable.

The lack of caring is about how Conan got his new gig and about late night TV overall. I don't know how he got the job and couldn't care less. I've written before that I don't watch late night TV at all. I do however think that the whole bitching issue about Leno is retarded, and that's what prompts me to visit these threads from time to time. Even as a person who finds Conan to be a complete bore, I wouldn't start bitching about him "stealing" a gig. Like what supposedly happened with Leno according to the fanboys. So there you have it, no excuse, just opinion, but I'm sure you'll find another way to "dissect" this and come up with other personal attacks.

Travis McClain 04-14-10 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Luds (Post 10104709)
Like what supposedly happened with Leno according to the fanboys. So there you have it, no excuse, just opinion, but I'm sure you'll find another way to "dissect" this and come up with other personal attacks.

Just to clarify: If you're talking about how Jay Leno became the host of The Tonight Show (either time), then that's not "fanboy" gossip. It's a matter of record that he was Nixon-esque about trying to get--and stay--behind that desk. Even his most ardent supporters try to just sweep away the controversy by applauding his ambition.

MoviePage 04-14-10 08:44 AM

I'll be more than happy to watch Conan regularly again. As someone mentioned earlier, I couldn't care less which digits are on the cable box.

Jay G. 04-14-10 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Luds (Post 10104709)
Even as a person who finds Conan to be a complete bore, I wouldn't start bitching about him "stealing" a gig.

Except you did start bitching, and still are, even though what you assumed wasn't true.

TheNightFlier 04-14-10 08:53 AM

The Self Pleasuring Panda :lol:

I called that name months ago. He would never get rid of that character.