DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Conan O'Brien - Shows, Projects, and News (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/581777-conan-obrien-shows-projects-news.html)

TGM 04-12-10 01:13 PM

Re: Conan Picks Networks and it's....TBS

fuck, I put all my money on the Animal Planet. :(

boogieman03 04-12-10 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 (Post 10100715)
So he pushes TBS' Tonight Show to midnight. What an asshole. ;)

My thoughts exactly.
rotfl

Kidding aside, choosing TBS is a bit of a shock.

Gizmo 04-12-10 01:22 PM

Conan owning his show is big news for him. Makes no difference for me, I'll just set the DVR for TBS instead of Fox/NBC. Man, I bet Fox is livid right now. Not only did they lose Conan, but the affiliates have to compete with yet another thing at 11pm (Besides TDS/TCR, Chelsea, NBC, CBS and now TBS).

pinata242 04-12-10 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 10100835)
Who's to say he can't do that now? I haven't seen anything regarding the length of the contract. Maybe Conan included a clause where he can leave the network whenever he wants, or maybe the deal is only for a year.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,4942628.story

According to the LA Times, it's a 5-year deal. No mention about early exit clauses/stipulations.

JuryDuty 04-12-10 01:28 PM

Wow...I really thought he'd end up on FOX at least...TBS is...um...something I'll never watch, even with Conan there. :(

I watch The Daily Show and Colbert, but they're a completely different format (political and 20 minutes on a DVR). I have no interest in another late night show on a cable network, but then again, I barely get cable as it is.

Gizmo 04-12-10 01:29 PM

The more I think about it, the more this seems like a good deal for Conan.

He gets to go on at 11pm.
He gets to own his show.
He get's to keep most (if not all) his staff.
He gets to make decisions he couldn't do on NBC.
He can be a bit more 'edgy'.
He gets Friday nights off.

Really don't see a downside for him. As long as the ratings are there, TBS will keep him. They can try to build a block around him (like what could have happened if he went to USA). And for Conan, he will be making enough bank to where if this fails, he will still be able to live his life until he dies without issues.

Gizmo 04-12-10 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty (Post 10100913)
Wow...I really thought he'd end up on FOX at least...TBS is...um...something I'll never watch, even with Conan there. :(

I watch The Daily Show and Colbert, but they're a completely different format (political and 20 minutes on a DVR). I have no interest in another late night show on a cable network, but then again, I barely get cable as it is.

I can't stand TDS or TCR much anymore. It's gotten far too political since 200 on. I enjoyed the early years...not so much now.

bunnydojo 04-12-10 01:35 PM

Content-wise, this seems like a perfect fit. I remember TBS having a show around that time slot that was just chimpanzees spoofing big movies. And they tried that sketch show with Frank Caliendo. Plus, they love their Family Guy reruns, and gave My Boys a few seasons (starring Conan's pal Jim Gaffigan).

Conan should be able to do his 12:30 material in an 11pm time slot. I don't know how the money or the viewers or the guest list will go, but in theory this is the best possible spot. He's not FX-edgy and -- for the moment -- couldn't bring in high enough numbers to satisfy Fox. On TBS he can have fun and be silly in a prime time slot with relatively low expectations. If he brings in numbers, CBS, Fox, ABC, and everyone else will take notice. If he doesn't, his fans can rationalize that it's TBS's fault, and I'm sure the network will be happy to keep him on indefinitely regardless.

Rypro 525 04-12-10 01:39 PM

From the little i've seen of lopez tonight, he does do quite a bit of edgy material, so conan shouldn't have any problem in that department

kstublen 04-12-10 01:41 PM

I think this is good news, especially given he will own the show, get the time slot he wants, and undoubtedly get even more creative control. I'm probably in the minority around here, but I actually like George Lopez; never watched his late night show, but with Conan as a lead-in I will definitely check it out. Pretty cool that Lopez actually called Conan and is cool with being pushed back; he knows that Conan's audience might stick around and enjoy his show as well. I can definitely see TBS building a successful late night block with Conan as the foundation.

DVD Josh 04-12-10 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10100917)
Really don't see a downside for him.

Then you look past the most obvious one - NO ONE WATCHES IT.

Double_Oh_7 04-12-10 01:42 PM

The only reason to go to FOX would be to try and beat the Tonight Show, which Coco probably now realizes he can't do. This is a smart move; he gets to do the show he wants without a lot of network interference, and he's still making the bank.

Double_Oh_7 04-12-10 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 10100949)

Stewart and Colbert are doing well, and on a lesser network. Ratings expectations won't be too high, so Coco will be just fine.

boogieman03 04-12-10 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by bunnydojo (Post 10100934)
Content-wise, this seems like a perfect fit. I remember TBS having a show around that time slot that was just chimpanzees spoofing big movies. And they tried that sketch show with Frank Caliendo. Plus, they love their Family Guy reruns, and gave My Boys a few seasons (starring Conan's pal Jim Gaffigan).

Wait a tic, they cancelled My Boys?

atlantamoi 04-12-10 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10100917)
He can be a bit more 'edgy'.

Interested to see how much this is true.

My Other Self 04-12-10 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by boogieman03 (Post 10100965)

No, My Boys starts a new season in the summer.

mphtrilogy 04-12-10 02:26 PM

I am happy for Conan, sure Lopez moves down an hour, but in the big picture he will be more relevant as TBS expands to a tue national late night discussion. In the long run, it will help Lopez and may ensure his career as a late night guy lasts a lot longer than it possibly would have. Although it appears his ratings may have been decent. Conan might be onto something here, and the longer he was off the air, the harder it was going to be to get traction back. Looks like a smart move

http://tvbythenumbers.com/category/ratings/late-night

TBS was a solid #2 in adults 18-49 to perennial non-sports playoff leader USA, and an even closer #2 among adults 18-34 for the first quarter of 2010. Because some of TBS’ late primetime ratings heft comes from Family Guy repeats, I’d guess they’re even stronger among the male demographics (that Conan likely favors) than USA, but I don’t have the numbers for that gender breakdown.

Update: I just looked at the March, 2010 numbers only (as opposed to the Q1 numbers below), and TBS was #1 in cable primetime for adults 18-34 averaging 599,000 to USA’s second place 520,000, and MTV was well behind in third with 387,000.

JasonF 04-12-10 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 10100943)
From the little i've seen of lopez tonight, he does do quite a bit of edgy material, so conan shouldn't have any problem in that department

http://s.ytimg.com/vi/NvzhvKm_15k/0.jpg
"I agree!"

Darknite39 04-12-10 02:29 PM

The best thing about the 4-day schedule? More remotes! Thank God the budget didn't change.

Anyone know if they're keeping their old studio? I twittered his blogger, but I'm sure he's got plenty to do today already w/o responding to me.

The downside for me is that I now have an extra OTA tuner that I won't be using, and I have to now figure out how to archive Conan in HD all over again. (Wah!)

Deftones 04-12-10 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 10100731)
You heard it here first - TDS and TCR will get better ratings than this.

Conan is done. Bye.

:rolleyes:

Sure they will. It always takes time to bulid up an audience. But if there's one thing, it's that his fans are loyal, so he'll get ratings. I think it's brilliant. More freedom to do what he wants with lower expectations from the network.

Deftones 04-12-10 02:37 PM

Boy, you really, really underestimate his fans, don't you?

Gizmo 04-12-10 02:46 PM

You want to pay me $10+ million a year? I don't care who watches.

Gizmo 04-12-10 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by boogieman03 (Post 10100965)

It's apparently in it's last season.

Rypro 525 04-12-10 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10101077)
:rolleyes:

Sure they will. It always takes time to bulid up an audience. But if there's one thing, it's that his fans are loyal, so he'll get ratings. I think it's brilliant. More freedom to do what he wants with lower expectations from the network.

Also, when GL started, his ratings weren't hot shit either

BJacks 04-12-10 03:01 PM

I was shocked at first because TBS has always been a third-tier channel IMO (the only thing of theirs I watch is "Family Guy" but they even mess that up by stretching it out widescreen), but after thinking about it I realized I don't really care what channel he's on. I can flip to or record his show on TBS just as easy as I can NBC. So go Conan.

I just hope he can bring over his old bits like Triumph, which last we heard were owned by NBC. I haven't seen any updated reporting of that.