Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The most sincere "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" thread - 10/28, 8 pm, ABC

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The most sincere "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" thread - 10/28, 8 pm, ABC

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

all about It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

The classic animated Halloween-themed PEANUTS special, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, created by late cartoonist Charles M. Schulz, as well as a bonus PEANUTS cartoon, You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown, in which Linus runs for class president, will air THURSDAY, OCTOBER 28 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network. The program will air with Spanish audio via SAP.

In the 1966 animated special It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, The PEANUTS gang celebrates Halloween, with Linus hoping that, finally, he will be visited by The Great Pumpkin, while Charlie Brown is invited to a Halloween party. Cast members include Peter Robbins (Charlie Brown) and Christopher Shea (Linus). The cast also includes Sally Dryer as Lucy, Chris Doran as Schroeder, Bill Melendez as Snoopy, Kathy Steinberg as Sally, Tracy Stratford as Violet and Ann Altieri as Frieda.

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown was executive-produced by Lee Mendelson and created and written by Charles M. Schulz. Bill Melendez is the producer and director and Vince Guaraldi is the music composer.

You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown—in which Linus runs for class president with Lucy and Charlie Brown managing his campaign—features Chad Webber as Charlie Brown, Robin Kohn as Lucy, Stephen Shea as Linus, Hilary Momberger as Sally and Todd Barbee as Russell.

You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown was written by Charles M. Schulz, directed by Bill Melendez and produced by Lee Mendelson and Bill Melendez. The original music was composed and performed by Vince Guaraldi.

On October 2, 1950 the PEANUTS comic strip launched in seven American newspapers. Who would have guessed the impact the brand would have around the world for decades to come. Nearly 60 years later, the comic strip appears in over 2,200 newspapers, in 75 countries and 21 languages. PEANUTS animated specials have become a seasonal tradition and thousands of consumer products are available in virtually all retail channels. Charlie Brown kicking the football, Linus and his blanket and Lucy leaning over Schroeder's piano are images to which everyone can relate. Such phrases as "Security Blanket" and "Good Grief" have become a part of the global vernacular. Lee Mendelson and Bill Melendez's association with Charles Schulz stretches back to 1965 with "A Charlie Brown Christmas," which debuted on CBS in 1965 with Mendelson as executive producer and Bill Melendez as animator and director. The three men continued their long-term association until Schulz's death, working together on 50 PEANUTS network specials and four feature films. The network specials won five Emmys, two Peabodys and 18 other Emmy nominations.

http://abc.go.com/shows/its-the-grea...-charlie-brown
Somehow I don't think tonight's "Shrek" Halloween special will be an annual tradition 40+ years from now.

Oh, dear sweet Lord. I was hoping last year's "rapping Charlie Brown" was just an isolated incident. It wasn't:

<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,124,0" width="426" height="260" id="ABCESNWID"><param name="movie" value="http://a.abc.com/media/_global/swf/embed/2.6.5/SFP_Walt.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="flashvars" value="configUrl=http://a.abc.com/service/sfp/embedplayerconfig/id/&configId=406732&playlistId=PL5591300&clipId=VD5591106&showId=SH010987920000&gig_lt=1288303575039&gig_pt=1288303577983&gig_g=2" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://a.abc.com/media/_global/swf/embed/2.6.5/SFP_Walt.swf" quality="high" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all" allowfullscreen="true" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="426" height="260" flashvars="configUrl=http://a.abc.com/service/sfp/embedplayerconfig/id/&configId=406732&playlistId=PL5591300&clipId=VD5591106&showId=SH010987920000&gig_lt=1288303575039&gig_pt=1288303577983&gig_g=2" name="ABCESNWID"></embed></object>

Sacrilege! Unfortunately, I won't be able to catch this live like I have every year since I can remember, due to a conflict with the live Rifftrax event.
Old 10-28-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The most sincere "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" thread - 10/28, 8 pm, AB

that rap makes me sad.
Old 10-29-10, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The most sincere "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" thread - 10/28, 8 pm, AB

I love all of the Peanut shows...grew up on them!!! Too bad the dvds cannot be complete with the Dolly Madison snack food commercials.
Old 10-29-10, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's funny. We watched this last night on DVD. I had no idea it was on TV. Kids love this.
Old 10-29-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn I missed it... And yeah I could buy it on dvd, but there's something about watching it when it airs that makes me feel good. That is of course if I don't miss the fucker.
Old 10-29-10, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

It airs again tonight at 8:00 PM EST on ABC. I watched it last night as I do every year.
Old 10-29-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

I not only remember Charlie Brown rapping last year, I remember them also having him refer to other cartoon characters as his "homies." The only way that works in the most remote sense is if it's supposed to be Charlie Brown trying to look cool but coming off as a blockhead.
Old 10-29-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is something about the old Peanuts holiday specials that just endear me to them like few other cartoons. It's become kind of a tradition for me to fall asleep on the couch while watching them, not because they're boring, but because they make me feel safe like I was a child again. That sounds strange, I know...
Old 10-29-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikael79
There is something about the old Peanuts holiday specials that just endear me to them like few other cartoons. It's become kind of a tradition for me to fall asleep on the couch while watching them, not because they're boring, but because they make me feel safe like I was a child again. That sounds strange, I know...
Not really. I tend to DVR stuff now, but I make an honest effort to see the old school holiday specials live. I feel that's the way it should be in all honesty.

I remember back in the day where even if you did not particularly care for a certain holiday special, you would watch it anyway as it would be a full year before you could be reminded whether or not you liked it! I also don't remember them trying to have any of the characters rap in the commercial breaks.