Reload this Page >

Sherlock (BBC/PBS) Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sherlock (BBC/PBS) Series Thread

Old 02-04-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Sherlock (BBC/PBS) Series Thread

Yeah, I don't disagree, but like I said, the plots/stories were never never this show's strong points.
Heck, they still haven't given a definitive answer as to how Sherlock survived last season's finale, which I assume will now have to coincide with how Moriarty also survived as well.
Old 02-04-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Fun cliffhanger finale. Suspend a bit of disbelief-mustering a huge public figure, no matter how prominent you are, would probably end you up in jail, but cool to have Moriarty back and nice promise for the future. I'm assuming that Mycroft was right and that what he was sending Holmes on would certainly have been a suicide mission? Did he really have any drugs in his room, or did he just not want Mycroft to find out about Janine? He clearly was really high, was he just hitting up drug dens because he wanted it to end up in the paper to misdirection Magnussen? Given what happened to Watson at the bonfire, it'd be sort of obtuse of Holmes not to realize Magnussen was responsible, and if that was the case, then he'd have know his "weakness" anyway.

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I was disappointed that Holmes didn't hook up with the cute bridesmaid, he seemed legitimately interested.
Can Holmes physically have any sexual interest in anyone? It doesn't just seem against character, it seems he isn't biologically wired that way.

Spoiler:
Even when he hooks up with her in the finale, it's just a means to an end.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 02-04-14 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-05-14, 02:27 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by starseed1981
[...] the whole thing about a "mind palace" felt pretty lazy imho.
Do you mean how it wasn't explained in detail or is it just that the whole concept seemed ludicrous?

If the latter, the idea has been around for centuries.

Inspired by the show this guy put up a whole site about his memory palace and how to build your own.
Old 02-05-14, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And it wasn't the first time Sherlock's Mind Palace has been referenced in this series.
Old 02-05-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Finally got around to watching the first "episode" last night and I was sort of blown away by how good it was. Getting through 6 episodes isn't a huge commitment in time and if they're nearly as good and the first I'll be hooked.
Old 02-05-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by benedict
Do you mean how it wasn't explained in detail or is it just that the whole concept seemed ludicrous?

If the latter, the idea has been around for centuries.

Inspired by the show this guy put up a whole site about his memory palace and how to build your own.
Detail. I'm used to the idea from the series. But as an overall plot device it just lazy, imho.
Old 02-05-14, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
I dont understand why
Spoiler:
she shot Sherlock. What did she gain by doing that?
What I don't get is having shot Sherlock, why didn't she cap the bastard she was apparently there to kill in the first place?
Old 02-05-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I thought that was because she realized that if she did, it would make Watson complicit and she didn't want to get him in trouble.
Old 02-05-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I thought that was because she realized that if she did, it would make Watson complicit and she didn't want to get him in trouble.
That is exactly why she didn't shoot him. Watson would be the only suspect.
Old 02-05-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Terrible finale... ugh. Great now the fist episode of next season can "explain" how Moriarty ate a bullet. Not thrilled with this season at all. Only saving grace is we won't have to wait as long.
Old 02-05-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 45shooter
What I don't get is having shot Sherlock, why didn't she cap the bastard she was apparently there to kill in the first place?
Because she didn't want John accused of the crime.
Old 02-05-14, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I just thought it was ridiculous how out of the blue John's wife is magically a CIA trained killer who this seasons big bad has info on. And it just felt sloppy how Sherlock killed him and then the reveal as to why the government needed him back. Plus the whole thing about a "mind palace" felt pretty lazy imho.
I have to disagree to an extent about John's wife. They set up several times Sherlock was getting erroneous readiness from her. I believe "Liar" floated by several times. They even used some of those scenes as reference in the 3rd. I specifically appreciated that they laid the griundwork. Plus I liked the misdirection if John saying Mary wears the perfume and Sherlock diamissing it.

Sure the CIA bit was out of left field, but I liked how it developed John's character by highlighting the type of person/things he needs in his life.

I did think the ending with the shot was odd. I kept expecting something to happen...snipers take out the guy...there be an underground library afterall...Sherlock and Mycroft had devised a plan...but nothing came.

I hope Moriarty is not him, but a disciple, or the "real" one played by another actor and the first was a fake.
Old 02-05-14, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

We missed episode 2. We saw episode 3, and didn't like it. Now everyone has become a super, and nobody really dies?

All they need now is for someone to shout, "It's clobberin' time!"
Old 02-07-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I actually quite liked the episode. I though the reveal was well set up, and made sense with what they were trying with these episodes. I will admit however that I really would have liked to have seen one more straight forward mystery. I didn't really love the ending though, I wanted to see Sherlock actually outsmart a seemingly worthy opponent, rather than "outsmarting" him by shooting him. I understood the sacrifice theme in the act they wanted, but I just didn't think it was the way to go. Sherlock fans minds will explode if Irene Adler and Moriarity are merged in Sherlock as well which is a possibility.
Old 06-11-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Binged-watched all three seasons on Netflix. Awesome show.
Old 07-03-14, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

SHERLOCK returns in 2015/2016.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/sher...e-1201256929/#
Old 07-03-14, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by will travel
Old 08-04-14, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

In exchange for watching my sisters favorite show with her which is Sherlock, she now has to watch my favourite show with me. As it turns out I loved Sherlock, especially the last 2 series. Luckily I'm a good brother and she's gonna be paid back and then some with The Wire!
Old 08-14-14, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Just watched the last episode. Am I wrong in thinking that Mycroft said that he and Sherlock had another sibling? He said something along the lines of "you know what I did to the other one".
Old 01-22-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Benedict Cumberbatch finally goes full Sherlock in new photo

Spoiler:
Old 01-25-15, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Picks of Mary and John Watson: http://www.vulture.com/2015/01/bened...facebook_nymag
Old 03-05-15, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Just watched the last episode. Am I wrong in thinking that Mycroft said that he and Sherlock had another sibling? He said something along the lines of "you know what I did to the other one".
Yes, I caught that line. They left it out there hanging with no explanation.

I would hope the murder by Sherlock is an elaborate ruse and that blackmailer faked his death for some reason.
Old 10-07-15, 03:41 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c3AZnMHg2vQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-10-15, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sherlock (Christmas Special) - a clue only Chinese can crack

This year's Christmas special of Sherlock will include a secret message to its millions of Asian fans by making a reference to one of the clues in Chinese.

Sherlock is one of a number of British shows which are banned from appearing on the Chinese Central Television network due to its sexual content. But millions of people still stream it online and get their fix of Sherlock Holmes.

Cumberbatch has earned the nickname 'Curly Fu' due to his hairstyle - the word Fu mean Sherlock - while there is an online forum in the Far East country dedicated to the English actor's character called Baidu Curly Fu Bar.

Dr Watson's 'Peanut' originates from the Chinese translation of Martin Freeman's name, 'Hua Sheng', which sounds like the Mandarin word for nut.
Via DailyMail
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RYgMHed5Ms8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is an exclusive interview for Sina Weibo, the equal of Facebook in China. In the beginning of this video, Mark Gatiss speaks in Chinese. Yup, it's undoubtedly Mandarin, though a bit clumsy.
Old 12-12-15, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Sherlock (Christmas Special) - a clue only Chinese can crack

Ok, thanks?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.