TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Old 10-21-10, 11:46 AM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 733
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Well this season has certainly been polarizing so far. Plenty of loved it/hated it.
Strafe is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 12:05 PM
  #27  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 104
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Randy Marsh as a butterfly!
Jeffy is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 12:41 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
rocketsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,500
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Randy Marsh as a butterfly!
Man I was SO hoping that they would have shown what Randy was like when he was a little kid. That could have been rife with comedic gold, but I still think the butterfly routet was damn funny.
rocketsauce is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 01:01 PM
  #29  
Video Game Talk Editor
 
Flay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Westchester, Los Angeles
Posts: 4,097
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Watched it with a group of 5 last night and the room was silent for most of the show. Pretty unfunny episode. Randy's butterfly routine was great though.
Flay is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 01:53 PM
  #30  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,417
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Originally Posted by rocketsauce View Post
Man I was SO hoping that they would have shown what Randy was like when he was a little kid.
Ditto.

I liked it. The Freddy scenes made it for me, completed with a signature cheesy one-liner.
DRG is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 03:11 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
DaveWadding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,885
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

I thought it was hilarious.
DaveWadding is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 04:06 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: switzerland
Posts: 250
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Originally Posted by JJE-187 View Post
I LOVED this episode. One of the best ever, but I am a little biased because I HATED Inception and agree with all the stuff they said about the movie in the episode. Just because soemthing is complicated to explain and you understand it doesn't make it "cool"
I also LOVED the episode and I LOVED Inception.

Many lough out loud moments.

Should have done a two parter as the subject matter was is complicated. :-)
Patrick_N is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 05:17 PM
  #33  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,159
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Great episode. Was practically in tears when we saw Freddy Krueger at the mountain cabin.
Geofferson is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 05:38 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 19,013
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Man, I hadn't even thought about Woodsy Owl in years.

Jason is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 05:57 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Lateralus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Valley of Megiddo
Posts: 9,569
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

The background music guy made this episode!
Lateralus is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 06:13 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Charlie Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Sesame Street (the apt. next to Bob's)
Posts: 20,199
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Man, I hadn't even thought about Woodsy Owl in years.
Repressing something?
Charlie Goose is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 06:36 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,505
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Also to the person saying they're in Family Guy territory, what world do you live in?? South Park is much better than they are and have always done spoofs on pop culture, but only they actually do it well and make it into a story rather than just random stupid crap and flashbacks.
I live in the real world, how about you? Look at the reaction to all the recent episodes, people are only interested in what is being "spoofed" and not the story. "Oh, what movie was that scene spoofing?" "Oh, it's a Teen Wolf reference and I love that movie, awesome!" "Oh, I hate Jersey Shore too, hahaha!" That's the only thing most people talk about with this show now; what is being spoofed. The story sucks and it just exists to cram as much references in as possible, just like Family Guy. If these episodes had a great story on top of all these references like, 200 and 201, I wouldn't mind....but they don't.
Eric D. is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 08:05 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: IN
Posts: 3,849
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

^ ?

Again, Mr. Latetotheparty, South Park has ALWAYS spoofed things. Much of the time, the story is purposely overly absurd so as to focus and direct the viewers thoughts toward something specific.

Comparing South Park to Family Guy is moronic as you could have always did that. Simply because you are capable of comparing two shows doesn't mean they are the same quality in any way.

It sounds like you don't have quite a good grasp on what South Park has done over the years.
foofighters7 is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 08:11 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,069
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
I live in the real world, how about you? Look at the reaction to all the recent episodes, people are only interested in what is being "spoofed" and not the story. "Oh, what movie was that scene spoofing?" "Oh, it's a Teen Wolf reference and I love that movie, awesome!" "Oh, I hate Jersey Shore too, hahaha!" That's the only thing most people talk about with this show now; what is being spoofed. The story sucks and it just exists to cram as much references in as possible, just like Family Guy. If these episodes had a great story on top of all these references like, 200 and 201, I wouldn't mind....but they don't.
Wow man just wow. Way to take South Park WAY too seriously. Not every story they do has to be based on something that's real or relevant to something that's currently going on. I find it funny that a couple years ago people would get mad that they did "real world" stuff and get upset that South Park was being too preachy. Now its the opposite..
Mike86 is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 10:42 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,505
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post
^ ?

Again, Mr. Latetotheparty, South Park has ALWAYS spoofed things. Much of the time, the story is purposely overly absurd so as to focus and direct the viewers thoughts toward something specific.

Comparing South Park to Family Guy is moronic as you could have always did that. Simply because you are capable of comparing two shows doesn't mean they are the same quality in any way.

It sounds like you don't have quite a good grasp on what South Park has done over the years.
No, it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. You also don't know how to read. I said that I know SP has spoofed things, but it was always smartly done. Now it's just referencing movies and TV shows for no reason other than to make people like you laugh because they like the reference. SP has always been a pretty smart show that was able to make interesting points through their crude and referential humor. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anymore.

Also, your comment about Family Guy makes absolutely no sense. How about proofreading before you post.

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Wow man just wow. Way to take South Park WAY too seriously. Not every story they do has to be based on something that's real or relevant to something that's currently going on. I find it funny that a couple years ago people would get mad that they did "real world" stuff and get upset that South Park was being too preachy. Now its the opposite..
Again, really poor reading comprehension. Why am I not surprised? I never said I want every episode to be based on real events, just that if there is going to an endless parade of references, then they should amount to something. As it is know, the references are nothing but a reference...just like Family Guy.

Anyway, I'm done arguing with you guys. I you feel like replying, please actually understand what it is I'm criticizing. That way it would make what you write relevant instead of spouting off more drivel like what you wrote above.

Last edited by Eric D.; 10-21-10 at 10:47 PM.
Eric D. is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 11:09 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,649
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Really suck episode.

I don't think I laughed once, though I might have cracked a smile when Randy went off looking for butterfly poon and Mackey threatened to rape Stan in the mouth...
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 10-21-10, 11:28 PM
  #42  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 833
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

I liked it, but mainly because after I saw Inception I thought it was pretty lame, especially considering what my friends were saying about it.
Chaza is offline  
Old 10-22-10, 12:03 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,976
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Really suck episode.

I don't think I laughed once, though I might have cracked a smile when Randy went off looking for butterfly poon and Mackey threatened to rape Stan in the mouth...
Just watched it, and this is how I felt too. The Inception satire felt really weak, on the level of the jokes in those awful _______ Movie movies. Like "You saw Inception? That was really crappy and stupid. Isn't that funny?"
brainee is offline  
Old 10-22-10, 07:44 AM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,069
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
Again, really poor reading comprehension. Why am I not surprised? I never said I want every episode to be based on real events, just that if there is going to an endless parade of references, then they should amount to something. As it is know, the references are nothing but a reference...just like Family Guy.

Anyway, I'm done arguing with you guys. I you feel like replying, please actually understand what it is I'm criticizing. That way it would make what you write relevant instead of spouting off more drivel like what you wrote above.
I read what you wrote just fine. But the stories have been fine to me just because they are sillier ones that have pop culture references they are still making episodes that actually follow a story. The big difference with South Park and Family Guy is they take the references and make them into a story no matter how silly it may be, whereas Family Guy just loops random flashbacks and references for no apparent reason and serve no point to the story. South Park has always done references to things. Just because you personally don't like the stories they are telling because they aren't "smart" enough for you doesn't make them bad. Apparently if you're so high brow and we are just idiots who will laugh at anything they throw out maybe you should just stop watching the show. Personally I appreciate the show either way its nice when they have a smart take on something, but its also perfectly fine when they do what they've been doing which is just silly fun.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-22-10 at 07:51 AM.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 10-22-10, 11:50 AM
  #45  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: IN
Posts: 3,849
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
No, it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. You also don't know how to read. I said that I know SP has spoofed things, but it was always smartly done. Now it's just referencing movies and TV shows for no reason other than to make people like you laugh because they like the reference. SP has always been a pretty smart show that was able to make interesting points through their crude and referential humor. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anymore.

Also, your comment about Family Guy makes absolutely no sense. How about proofreading before you post.


Again, really poor reading comprehension. Why am I not surprised? I never said I want every episode to be based on real events, just that if there is going to an endless parade of references, then they should amount to something. As it is know, the references are nothing but a reference...just like Family Guy.

Anyway, I'm done arguing with you guys. I you feel like replying, please actually understand what it is I'm criticizing. That way it would make what you write relevant instead of spouting off more drivel like what you wrote above.
hahaha, someone doesn't know how to read if you do not understand the sentence where I mention Family Guy.

Your argument about the "Story" is full blown retarded. Maybe you just don't think it's funny anymore, that's fine, but saying "Story not good, too many references like Family Guy" is just plain dumb, as the story has always been paper thin and it has always had references. Coming around now, complaining about the story is something you could have been doing back in 2000!

Just say you don't like it anymore because it's not funny. That would at least make sense!
foofighters7 is offline  
Old 10-22-10, 07:30 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,533
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Like last week's episode about the jersey whores, I just didn't get it. This is the first time ever I didn't like two consecutive South Park episodes! Hope this isn't a trend...
nodeerforamonth is offline  
Old 10-22-10, 09:39 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,526
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

I got all of the inside jokes and thought it was a riot. Classic South Park here.
My Other Self is offline  
Old 10-23-10, 01:33 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,428
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Thought it was funny. Not great but funny. And I was sickened last night as I noticed Inception is 4th of all time of top movies. What complete non sense. This episode explains why perfectly too.
hdtv00 is offline  
Old 10-23-10, 03:03 PM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 568
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

I liked the episode, my favorite of the half season so far. I thought the Inception parody was funny (I liked the movie FWIW).

My favorite part might have been when the specialist was putting them to sleep with the soothing cloud speech and then suddenly starts screaming because he got a gas bubble
SpanishTechno is offline  
Old 10-23-10, 06:51 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,080
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

As someone who finds Christopher Nolan painfully pedestrian and wholly overrated I was overjoyed to see them brave enough to express an unpopular and controversial opinion that I happen to hold as well but just like the "Cartoon Wars" I find myself unable to really judge the episode itself for that same reason.

I love the fact that it pissed off the Nolan dorks though. I feel I'm biased to the point where I'm not really in a position to say it's a great episode but I don't really think there's any way you could hate this episode unless you're insecure about someone criticizing The Holy One's Perfect Piece of Cinema.

It was a pretty straightforward criticism of the movie too. I remember with "Cartoon Wars" a lot of people were in denial and felt Trey and Matt couldn't REALLY hate "Family Guy" and I'm sure some of that is going around, though I'm not really seeing it here. I may check out the IMDB boards because I'm sure there are people out there who have themselves convinced that they couldn't possibly hate The Greatest Most Awesome Movie Ever Made. I do definitely get an "I hate this episode because they trashed something I love" vibe from this thread though.
Guru Askew is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.