TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ABC Developing New Live Action Incredible Hulk Series

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABC Developing New Live Action Incredible Hulk Series

Per Deadline Hollywood:

"The Incredible Hulk is muscling his way to primetime TV. ABC is in very early stages of development of a live-action series adaptation of the popular Marvel comic book character. There is no writer on board yet with search underway. Marvel, which was acquired by ABC parent Disney last year for $4 billion, started a major push in TV in June with the launch of Marvel Television whose goal was to adapt Marvel characters and stories to the small screen. Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb (Smallville) and his team quickly zeroed in on The Hulk, with rumors of a potential Hulk live-action series first surfacing in mid-summer."

The Hulk has always been my favorite Marvel character and I loved the show growing up, so this is great news for me.
Old 10-15-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: ABC Developing New Live Action Incredible Hulk Series

I'm in.
Old 10-15-10, 02:52 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Sweet.
Old 10-15-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can a TV series afford or even produce that much CGI on a weekly schedule?

I'm not sure the audience of today, being used to a CGI Hulk, will accept a puny human version.
Old 10-15-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Growing up I was disappointed when I found out the original TV series didn't follow the comic books at all. Hopefully this series rectifies that somewhat.
Old 10-15-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Not a marvel fan but I support stuff like this for the good of the genre.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-17-10 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-15-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Do they have the balls to do a human Hulk and minimize the CGI?

CGI Hulk, I don't think I can watch.
Old 10-15-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm the opposite, I don't think I could buy a human Hulk.
Old 10-15-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

human hulk would be horrible.
Old 10-15-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all the hell NBC caught over The Munsters here recently, I'm shocked at the reaction here. This is a terrible project idea.
Old 10-15-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very stupid; people bitched about the Hulk being Shrek and having been a movie twice, how will TV production values be able to compare.

Should be something like Heroes For Hire with Luke Cage and Iron Fist or The Punisher.
Old 10-15-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still say (as I did with the movies) that a body builder painted green filmed on down scaled sets or matted into shots would look much better than CGI anyday & still look huge. At least he would move like a real creature. Even today, CGI characters stand out when they walk.
Old 10-15-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I was a huge fan of the old CBS series with Bixby and Ferrigno. I was too little to remember the original run, but watched the entire series on SyFy and have all the DVD's.

Kenny Johnson and Bill Bixby were the key components that made the old TV series great. Basically it was a different take on The Fugitive and I'm skeptical that Marvel could develop the new series and make it as poignant as the previous one. I don't think you can cast any present day actor who can bring the charm and sadness that Bixby brought to Banner.
Old 11-16-10, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Major update about the new Hulk TV series in development. David Eick (Battlestar Galactica) and Guillermo Del Toro (Hellboy) are producing it. Eick is writing the script for the Pilot and Del Toro is tentatively slated to direct it.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/guil...bc/#more-84121

Talk about a dream pairing for film and TV sci-fi/comic book fans: Guillermo del Toro, the mastermind behind Pan's Labyrinth and the Hellboy movie franchise, and Battlestar Galactica executive producer David Eick are finalizing a deal to create the new TV series version of The Hulk for ABC, which is being produced by Marvel TV and ABC Studios. It will mark Marvel’s first series project for ABC and ABC Studios since Disney's acquisition of Marvel last year and the launch of Marvel's TV division in June. It also marks del Toro's first TV project. Details of the premise are sketchy but I hear that the series will follow an origin story. In it, physicist Bruce Banner, whose alter ego is the green and raging Hulk, will be in his mid-twenties, less reactive and more energized as the world is still his oyster. Unlike the two Hulk movies, in which the monster was a pure CGI creation, the series will employ a mixture of prosthetics, puppetry and CGI. Del Toro and Eick will break the story for the pilot script together, sharing story and created by credit. Eick will write the script, with del Toro attached to direct subject to his availability. Del Toro will also oversee the designing of the Hulk character, which is expected to draw on previous comic book incarnations, as well as the original 1978-82 Incredible Hulk TV series, with a few wild tweaks on the old look. Because the project is still in its nascent stage and will require a lot of prep work, it won't be ready for next fall consideration. I hear that Marvel is looking to launch the series following the July 2012 release of The Avengers, which features the Hulk character, so the series will probably be targeted for fall 2012. Del Toro and Eick are executive producing the project with Del Toro's manager/producing partner Gary Ungar of Exile, Marvel TV topper Jeph Loeb and Marvel Entertainment's chief creative officer Joe Quesada. "I have always been attracted at the combination of comic book heroics and monsters, Jack Kirby's Demon or Kamandi or DC's Deadman or Marvel's Dr. Strange, Morbius, Metamorpho, Mike Mignola's Hellboy, etc," Del Toro said. He said that The Hulk has been at the top of his list and he first pursued it as a feature film around the time of the 2002 release of Blade II, which he directed. Del Toro added that, with partner Eick "we coalesced a respectful but powerful way of retelling the Banner/Hulk story in a fresh way."

Marvel TV identified The Hulk as a property they wanted to pursue for a TV series in the summer and, along with ABC Studios, launched a search for a writer to pen the adaptation. Eick, who is under a blind script deal at ABC Studios, floated the idea of a Hulk series to Del Toro, whom he has known for awhile. Separately, ABC Studios had been chasing del Toro ever since Patrick Moran landed at the studio as head of drama in July. As a drama development executive at 20th TV, Moran signed del Toro to his only previous TV deal, a first-look pact at the studio. Shortly after their original conversation, WME-repped Eick and del Toro met and began discussing a Hulk series. Then, they pitched their idea simultaneously to ABC, ABC Studios and Marvel TV, and the pitch was very well received across-the-board.

Eick, creator/executive producer of Battlestar Galactica's Blood & Chrome spinoff that was recently picked up to pilot at Syfy, has been involved in several series that re-imagened popular properties/characters, including Battlestar Galactica, Bionic Woman and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. "I've enjoyed the challenging, rewarding process of revisiting beloved characters," he said. Eick called The Hulk "one of the crown jewels of the Marvel world for generations" ans said it was a "dream opportunity to join one of my all-time filmmaking heroes, Guillermo del Toro, in a faithful but unique retelling of the primal, emotionally-rich tale of one of my all-time comic book."
Old 11-16-10, 03:47 AM
Banned

Use a muscle bodybuilder for the Hulk like before, but get better make-up artist.
Make the Hulk bullet proof too.
Old 11-16-10, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We'll see... Im down but don't hold out hope. Maybe Ill be pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-16-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the older TV series and was a fan of it before getting into the comics... I thought Bill Bixby did an awesome job...

I dont see how ABC can afford this if they go the CGI route...
Old 11-16-10, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I just hope Hulk talks.
Old 11-16-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Haven't seen one of the Hulk movies (other than a few seconds as i flipped by a cable channel that was showing it). I'm diametrically opposed to CGI in general. That and the TV show was my childhood favorite as I grew up. While I never thought the Hulk scenes were that great, I thought Bill Bixby was incredible and I always loved the transformation scenes; between the changes and soundtrack to them, those were my favorite moments of the show.

I'll definitely give this a shot if it's a body builder-painted green Hulk.
Old 11-17-10, 02:18 AM
Banned

The Hulk movies haven't exactly set the box-office on fire.
Old 11-17-10, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved the original show. I hate the CGI Hulk.
Old 11-17-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hated the stupid body builder. Preferred the CGI Hulk (Really!). To me he was always this larger than life monster and when I was a kid and saw the TV show and they had a body builder in green body paint even as a kid I was very disappointed. So when we got a CGI Hulk that looked decent (and I liked how he looked in the second movie) I thought it was a vast improvement.

A lot of superhero TV shows/movies disappointed me as a kid in the late 70's/early 80's. It just wasn't a good time to be a comic book fan and a TV fan back then, IMO.

With Del Toro on board I will be watching this.