Old 10-05-10, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
No Ordinary Family -- "No Ordinary Marriage" -- 10/05/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-03

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Jim and Stephanie keep their powers under wraps, but it doesn't mean their abilities are dormant as Jim hunts for bank robbers and Stephanie goes back on her word about using her super speed. Meanwhile, Daphne uncovers a secret about JJ and his newfound intelligence.

Written by Jon Harmon Feldman & Ali Adler and Directed by David Semel.

Pilot episode did quite well in the ratings considering the difficult timeslot. It will be interesting to see how episode 2 holds up.
Old 10-06-10, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: No Ordinary Family -- "No Ordinary Marriage" -- 10/05/10

So did anyone watch episode 2 yet?

I watched this late tonight and I thought it was alright. It hasn't knocked my socks off yet. They are doing a good job establishing that Jim, Stephanie and the kids are still adapting to their powers.

I thought the scene that was somewhat humorous was when Jim and George went out to that yard and George ran over Jim several times.

That was funny when Stephanie ran from that meeting and tripped over the bike which left road rash all over her back. However, I thought it was stupid that she lied to Jim and said she got into a car accident. Really? A car accident will leave road rash on your back? And now she heals fast as well.

I guess Stephanie's boss, Stephen Collins' character (Dr. King) is some kind of head of an evil shadow organization with some people with special powers. It sucks that Detective Cho is apparently out of the picture.

And yes, Chaka's ability of being really good at math is a dumb super power. I don't think we need a subplot with a teacher out to get him.

I like George and Katie as the supporting characters. Especially, Autumn Reeser (Katie) is great as the perky Lab assistant.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-06-10 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-06-10, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
So did anyone watch episode 2 yet?

However, I thought it was stupid that she lied to Jim and said she got into a car accident. Really? A car accident will leave road rash on your back? And now she heals fast as well.
When Jim was helping her with her wounds and they were talking about it, I thought he said something to the effect of "car accident without a car." I figured she had told him the truth. I guess they were viewing it as the kind of injuries you might get if it were a car accident.

It's a fun show as far as I'm concerned, and I'm interested to see where it goes. I think they can do a lot with the adjusting-to-their-powers story and trying to find out where the powers came from.
Old 10-06-10, 08:36 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm betting that in the last episode of the season they will reveal their super hero costumes.
Old 10-06-10, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
I'm betting that in the last episode of the season they will reveal their super hero costumes.
Wonder if they will have capes....
Old 10-06-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JSwarce View Post
Wonder if they will have capes....
[Edna Mode] No capes! [/Edna Mode]
Old 10-06-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

newest ep was ok..

first off Julie Benz makes a lab coat look all sort of sexy but the writers really need to work on the dialog. The family stuff seems ok but the interactions between the family and the rest of the people in the show is pretty horrible.

the back and forth with the bitchy house mom towards Benz, that ladies' husband towards Michael Chiklis's character, the Chaka kid and the teacher. The guy playing the sidekick DA acts more like a bartender then someone who is out of law school.

people were throwing insults at the family like they were a bunch of middle school kids or something. A teacher is not going to call up some student, even a 1/2 monkey looking kid like Chaka Boy and just keep hammering at him that he is dumb for days at a time.

Families of adults don't walk up to each and start throwing insults at the husband, in front of his wife and kids about what the guys wife does for work etc.. oh nooes.. don't make fun of me and my smoking hot wife both have jobs just because she makes more money

I'll keep watching but I really hope it gets better..
Old 10-06-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeadLamb View Post
I'll keep watching but I really hope it gets better..
Yeah, I'll give it another week or two, but I really don't look forward to it.
Old 10-06-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This show is frustrating.

I thought this episode was better than the Pilot. I'm glad they ditched the "confessionals". There's a lot to like here: the family drama was more interesting, the story flowed better and I loved the ending. The cast works well together and I liked the humor, especially Jim getting run over and over

I also think the FX/stunts in this show are great. It's exhilarating watching Jim jump around, and I cringed when Stephanie crashed on the street. Nicely done stuff.

On the other hand, the writing can be so sloppy. The PTA mom is cartoonishly bitchy. The math teacher was cartoonish, too - no teacher would call a student a cheater in front of the class. And why not give the kid an impromptu problem to solve if he thought he was cheating?

Why was Stephanie openly talking about her powers around the office staff? Why didn't Jim's buddy put on his seatbelt when he was crashing his car into him? Etcetera...

All in all, though, I thought the good outweighed the bad by a fair bit. I hope the show sticks around and gets a chance to grow.
Old 10-06-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^^ Yeah I was surprised to see Stephanie talk to Katie so openly while walking around in the lab about her powers. I'm sure Dr. King if he doesn't already know will find out soon.

Even though it wasn't definite about her fate, I do hope they keep Detective Cho. George is already established as Jim's ally, so it would be cool to have her as a nemesis trying to stop his vigilante work.
Old 10-06-10, 03:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Benz' hair in slowmo is

Chaka is really disturbingly ugly.

I was surprised about the (apparent) death of Det. Cho. This show gives a less serious vibe than others, and that scene was surprisingly dark.
Old 10-06-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Really enjoying these two episodes. It's a light show, but pretty entertaining.

Some will scream, but for me, it's my new Heroes, circa Season 1.
Old 10-06-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The ending was decent, but I was bored with most of the rest.
I might give it one more episode before I drop it.
Old 10-06-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeadLamb View Post
A teacher is not going to call up some student, even a 1/2 monkey looking kid like Chaka Boy and just keep hammering at him that he is dumb for days at a time.
I take it you were homeschooled. Not all teachers are such dicks but there are plenty who are. Some teachers especially don't like it when a student knows more than they do.
Old 10-06-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yet another garbage episode. Just dreadful. Wondering how much longer to stay with it.
Old 10-06-10, 06:54 PM
Banned by request

I'm surprised no one mentioned the funniest line of dialogue, when the PTA mom said, "Oh, it's okay. I leave my cell on too...in case my kids need me..."
Old 10-06-10, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As hot as Julie Benz is, she feels extremely miscast. From her dialogue and shots of her flying through the city are cringe worthy and the show just has a cheap feeling to it from the look of it to the visual effects.
Old 10-07-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched the first couple of episodes online. This show is ok but I do not see it lasting throughout the 2010-2011 season. I will most likely watch it next week and see from there.....
Old 10-07-10, 11:05 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Problem with a show like this, is where does it go from here? you get maybe one season of the not fully embracing their destiny/superpowers bit, but eventually the audience will grow tired of that and want them to kick ass as a group of costumed superheros, although I guess Smallville went 10 years with this sort of premise, so who knows
Old 10-07-10, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This show is Fantastic Four lite, make that Fantastic Four Very Lite

But it's watchable and i don't think they are stretching themselves FX wise with only 2 characters requiring them.
Old 10-07-10, 06:44 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Desmond View Post
This show is Fantastic Four lite, make that Fantastic Four Very Lite

But it's watchable and i don't think they are stretching themselves FX wise with only 2 characters requiring them.
c'mon, you're forgetting Chaka's neon piecharts
Old 10-07-10, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a chore to watch this show sometimes, but I want it to be good and I want to continue to watch Julie Benz in slo-mo. I'll keep trying but I have a difficult time believing it can get much better. I agree that the dialogue is iffy and some of the things the characters and supporting actors do and say just doesn't seem like cartoon fun or action tv believable.

He threw that ball faster than a bullet and broke the game. No one noticed and while dunking the jerk felt good, but you didn't feel bad that you ruined the dunk tank game for everyone else. Ridiculous. As was the teacher stuff.
Old 10-07-10, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't get the throwing the ball. That wasn't super strength or can't be hurt, that was super accuracy, so that's a new power altogether (as well as the strength used in the throw)
Old 10-07-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He can't jump accurately but he sure can throw acurrately.
Old 10-08-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I take it you were homeschooled. Not all teachers are such dicks but there are plenty who are. Some teachers especially don't like it when a student knows more than they do.
No shit, its no that far off base. My highschool was rough. I had a teacher openly say in front of the class to students stuff like: "of course you didnt know that, do you know why? Because youre too stupid"

He was a great teacher and we got along great but man he hated stupid people.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.