TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Discovery kills its golden goose as 'Deadliest Catch' captains quit

Old 09-30-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Discovery kills its golden goose as 'Deadliest Catch' captains quit

What stupid, greedy dumbasses.

sauce

In a shocking development involving Discovery’s popular reality show about crab fisherman, Deadliest Catch stars Sig Hansen and Johnathan and Andy Hillstrand have reportedly left the show. The trio sent this statement to the Hollywood Reporter Tuesday: “We have been through a lot over the past year and unfortunately given the current situation with Discovery we are unable to continue participating in Deadliest Catch. It has been a fantastic ride, and we wish the best to all of the amazing and supportive Catch fans we have met over the years.”

A Discovery spokesman said a statement from the cable network is forthcoming.

Earlier this month, the Hillstrands were sued by Discovery over their involvement in a Catch spinoff. Discovery reportedly claims that the brothers failed to finish work on Hillstranded and is now seeking $3 million in damages. An attorney for the Hillstrands shot back by saying the lawsuit may force the men to sell their boats and fire their crews. Hansen decided to show solidarity for his fellow captains and backed the Hillstrands.

It’s unclear what the departures mean for the seventh season of the show, which is set to resume production next month. The first episode is supposed to include a scene in which the sons of the late Capt. Phil Harris scatter his ashes off of Dutch Harbor near Alaska. Harris’ tragic death helped Catch lure its biggest audience ever during the show’s sixth season.

The Hillstrand brothers co-captain Time Bandit on Deadliest Catch, while Hansen lords over Northwestern. Developing…
Old 09-30-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Discovery kills its golden goose as 'Deadliest Catch' captains quit

Originally Posted by Traxan View Post

sauce

In a shocking development involving Discovery’s popular reality show about crab fisherman, Deadliest Catch stars Sig Hansen and Johnathan and Andy Hillstrand have reportedly left the show. The trio sent this statement to the Hollywood Reporter Tuesday: “We have been through a lot over the past year and unfortunately given the current situation with Discovery we are unable to continue participating in Deadliest Catch. It has been a fantastic ride, and we wish the best to all of the amazing and supportive Catch fans we have met over the years.”

A Discovery spokesman said a statement from the cable network is forthcoming.

Earlier this month, the Hillstrands were sued by Discovery over their involvement in a Catch spinoff. Discovery reportedly claims that the brothers failed to finish work on Hillstranded and is now seeking $3 million in damages. An attorney for the Hillstrands shot back by saying the lawsuit may force the men to sell their boats and fire their crews. Hansen decided to show solidarity for his fellow captains and backed the Hillstrands.

It’s unclear what the departures mean for the seventh season of the show, which is set to resume production next month. The first episode is supposed to include a scene in which the sons of the late Capt. Phil Harris scatter his ashes off of Dutch Harbor near Alaska. Harris’ tragic death helped Catch lure its biggest audience ever during the show’s sixth season.

The Hillstrand brothers co-captain Time Bandit on Deadliest Catch, while Hansen lords over Northwestern. Developing…
Wait...who are the stupid, greedy dumbasses?
Old 09-30-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm assuming he means Discovery for suing the Hillstrand bros for so much.
Old 09-30-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Traxan View Post

sauce
What did I do? I swear I had nothing to do with this.
Old 09-30-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Wait...who are the stupid, greedy dumbasses?
I am in agreement with this statement. I guess those guys just didn't want money anymore?
Old 09-30-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I honestly don't know who the original poster is calling stupid and greedy. The post didn't give enough information.

It sounds like the fisherman screwed the Discovery Channel so they got sued and then due to the lawsuit they couldn't continue being fisherman so they quit.

The fisherman shouldn't have screwed the network but it seems like the network should have found another option other than suing them and causing them to quit.
Old 09-30-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Hillstrand boys are just a couple of mullet sporting, 8-ball jacket wearing imbeciles. I shan't miss them. However, Sig seems like a cool cat. I have a feeling that Sig was going to quit regardless because of Edgar retiring from the NW.
Old 09-30-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guess I haven't watched the show in a few years. I know who Sig is but don't remember who the Hillstrand are. Besides, there were seveal other boats the show could focus on. It always seemed there were dozens of boats fishing even if the show just focused on a few.
Old 09-30-10, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by resinrats View Post
Guess I haven't watched the show in a few years. I know who Sig is but don't remember who the Hillstrand are. Besides, there were seveal other boats the show could focus on. It always seemed there were dozens of boats fishing even if the show just focused on a few.
Sig and Phil were by far the most popular. I didn't care for the Hillstrands that much, but the other captains that are left aren't very interesting either.
Old 09-30-10, 10:02 PM
Political Exile

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't they just hire these guys:

Old 10-09-10, 06:50 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And they're back
Old 10-09-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Ca-Ching!
Old 10-10-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For the record I meant Discovery. They damn near killed their golden goose and highest rated show.
Old 10-10-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The whole thing sounded kind of fishy to me. From what I read the "spinoff" was just a one time special, not an ongoing series, and it was already filmed. They just needed the brothers to do interviews. Maybe the Brothers wanted more money, or maybe they had a problem with some of the content.
Old 10-10-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good news.
Old 10-10-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glad to see that everything got worked out.