DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dish Network to lose Fox Sports Network/FX on Oct 1st (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/579970-dish-network-lose-fox-sports-network-fx-oct-1st.html)

superdeluxe 09-29-10 10:14 AM

Dish Network to lose Fox Sports Network/FX on Oct 1st

In about 2 days, Owners that have Dish Network will lose their local regional Fox Sports Network channel, as well as FX and Nat Geo channels.

http://getwhatipaidfor.com/home

Axeramm 09-29-10 10:20 AM

Re: Dish Network to lose Fox Sports Network/FX on Oct 1st

i could lose Fox Sports and Nat Geo but losing FX would hurt.

Geofferson 09-29-10 10:28 AM

Yup, this really sucks. Still holding out hope that an agreement can be made.

superdeluxe 09-29-10 10:40 AM

My brother has Dish and he is pissed off, I know maybe 5 years ago FX was just about movies, but now, FX I think is one of the top 2-3 best cable channels for original programming.

CreamyGoodness 09-29-10 11:14 AM

Huh. well I'll be dipped in shit...

Looks like I'll be watching Sons of Anarchy, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and Terriers off the internet if this happens.

Two big corporations having a pissing match and of course, it's the consumers who suffer. All of these entertainment companies are whining about their material being bootlegged and stolen, (which is easy in the digital age), but is it any wonder people don't care about stealing from them?

TGM 09-29-10 11:19 AM

I guess I don't feel so bad about DirecTV not offering AMC HD.

Deke Rivers 09-29-10 12:52 PM

hate to lose FX but all I watch on it is Sons Of Anarchy ..can always rent them though

Cardiff Giant11 09-29-10 05:09 PM

Seems like this happens quite a bit with Dish with various stations.

superdeluxe 10-01-10 09:04 AM

Thought this was just a pressure tactic, but Dish subscribers have not had FX or FSN for the last 7 hours:

http://getwhatipaidfor.com/home

and FOX is in jeopardy in another 31 days

superdeluxe 10-01-10 09:06 AM

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...488df98eef85ff

NEW YORK -- Here we go again.

Just weeks after Walt Disney and Time Warner Cable reached a new network carriage agreement, satellite TV firm Dish Network and News Corp./Fox are embroiled in a carriage showdown.

After a midnight deadline expired without an agreement, Dish and its subscribers as of Friday lost ‪access to 19 regional sports networks, as well as some cable networks, including FXm and National Geographic Channel.

The Fox News Channel is covered by a separate agreement, which is not up yet, as is the Fox broadcast network. The latter's Dish deal expires at the end of the month.

"Fox is demanding a new contract with an unprecedented rate increase of more than 50%," Dish said early Friday. "Fox has flatly refused Dish."

"Dish Network is not going to allow Fox or any programmer to bully our customers into paying such an unconscionable price increase," said Dave Shull, senior vp of programming for Dish.

"Our customers should not be held hostage in order to finance Fox's irresponsible acquisition of sports rights. Consumers are already burdened enough in this challenging economy."

News Corp./Fox responded: "The proposal we've offered Dish is fair and in line with the tremendous value we provide."

Then it, too, went on the offensive. "We regret the inconvenience to our viewers, but Dish has asserted its subscribers do not value our channels and has made a decision to go forward without them."

It encouraged consumers to look for alternative distributors at its site www.getwhatipaidfor.com.

Carriage disputes have been intense this year, with Disney pulling its programming from Cablevision briefly.

Actually, Fox and Cablevision also are facing an Oct. 15 expiration of their current carriage agreement.

Dish said it will make various channels available to affected customers at no additional charge, including HD Net Movies, NBA TV, New England Sports Network, NFL Network, NHL Network, Big Ten Network, Comcast SportsNet California and other regional sports channels from Comcast and ESPN Classic.

wendersfan 10-01-10 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11 (Post 10401246)
Seems like this happens quite a bit with Dish with various stations.

A little over two years ago Dish stopped carrying Gol TV, so I dropped them. They offered me all sorts of deals to stay, but, since that's one of the five channels I watch with any regularity I wasn't interested.

It would be nice if dropping programming like this would void subscriber's contracts, but that's obviously a pipe dream.

superdeluxe 10-01-10 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by wendersfan (Post 10404402)
A little over two years ago Dish stopped carrying Gol TV, so I dropped them. They offered me all sorts of deals to stay, but, since that's one of the five channels I watch with any regularity I wasn't interested.

It would be nice if dropping programming like this would void subscriber's contracts, but that's obviously a pipe dream.

Feel bad for people that like their Fox sports and/or FX, would suck being locked in with no access to these shows in the traditional way

wendersfan 10-01-10 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 10404405)
Feel bad for people that like their Fox sports and/or FX, would suck being locked in with no access to these shows in the traditional way

Yeah, it's one thing if you lose programming you want, but it's another if you've got 18 months remaining on a two-year contract with the provider who's no longer 'providing.'

Jimmy James 10-01-10 04:56 PM

Don't these things (with major nets, not necessarily Golf TV) usually get ironed out? I'd guess somebody would be willing to litigate the issue if something as serious as FX is gone for months or longer...

Geofferson 10-01-10 05:07 PM

This will likely be worked out eventually. In the meantime, DISH press release:

http://dish.client.shareholder.com/r...leaseID=513082

writer106 10-01-10 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 10400426)
My brother has Dish and he is pissed off, I know maybe 5 years ago FX was just about movies, but now, FX I think is one of the top 2-3 best cable channels for original programming.

I have a few friends that are Dish subscribers who are probably pissed too. I agree FX's original programming has improved a lot and I enjoy their shows more than USA or TNT's shows.

aktick 10-01-10 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan (Post 10404421)
Yeah, it's one thing if you lose programming you want, but it's another if you've got 18 months remaining on a two-year contract with the provider who's no longer 'providing.'

Yep, last year DirecTV didn't have Versus for most of the hockey season, and being able to watch hockey is one of the main reasons I have DirecTV. Of course I had about 15 months left on my 2-year commitment when hockey season started.

I'd be fine if they would let you out of your contract or give you $X off your bill because of the missing channel(s), but yeah, that will never happen.

lacubs 10-01-10 09:40 PM

i don't have DISH but didn't they also loss MSG Network today?

Bandoman 10-01-10 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 10400494)
I guess I don't feel so bad about DirecTV not offering AMC HD.

I do. I have to watch WalkingDead in SD. :sad:

flashburn 10-01-10 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by lacubs (Post 10405743)

Yep, they lost all of the MSG stations today as well.

Sabregirl 10-02-10 11:07 AM

No MSG is a huge problem for Sabres fans. I just got off the phone - switching to Directv.

superdeluxe 10-02-10 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by lacubs (Post 10405743)

actually they lost MSG and MSG + yesterday..It has to do with Fuse being cut.

LaxBandit 10-02-10 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 10406842)
actually they lost MSG and MSG + yesterday..It has to do with Fuse being cut.

The person whose post you quoted did make that post yesterday.

SabreGirl - doesn't effect me since I have Time Warner Digital Cable but we had to move
our yearly Sabres away opener party from my Aunts to one of my cousins house since my
Aunt has DISH - my cousin has Time Warner Digital Cable like myself. My Aunt and Uncle arn't
huge hockey fans so I think they would wait it out for a few weeks before switching to DirectTV.

LB...

Mok 10-16-10 05:09 PM

Well Cablevision in NY no longer has Fox as of today, and forget about trying to watch shows on Hulu there blocking them for Cablevision customers.

rw2516 10-16-10 06:11 PM

Curious, why sign a contract that states the dish provider can alter/drop programming and you are still liable for duration of contract? If the contract doesn't state that it would seem the provider has violated the contract.