DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   OK, so WTF is the deal w/Gordon Ramsay (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/579948-ok-so-wtf-deal-w-gordon-ramsay.html)

TGM 09-28-10 10:14 PM

OK, so WTF is the deal w/Gordon Ramsay

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrityn...icide--2010289

two people on his various shows have now committed suicide...

Fist of Doom 09-28-10 10:19 PM

Re: OK, so WTF is the deal w/Gordon Ramsay

Burnt scallops can be a hard thing to get over.

NORML54601 09-28-10 10:22 PM

Ummmm, he's an annoying douchebag?

PopcornTreeCt 09-28-10 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by NORML54601 (Post 10399706)
Ummmm, he's an annoying douchebag?

This

Drav3n 09-28-10 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom (Post 10399699)
Burnt scallops can be a hard thing to get over.

Or not being able to cook the risotto right?

Josh-da-man 09-28-10 10:38 PM

Only two?

The Valeyard 09-28-10 11:44 PM

You call that risotto, you donkey!?

TheKing 09-29-10 01:01 AM

How many American Idol suicides have there been?

You'd think Simon Cowell would have a comfortable lead over Ramsay, right?

EDIT:

Damn, looks like there's only been one (successful) suicide connected to Idol, that obsessed Paula Abdul fan who offed herself outside Abdul's house. A couple others attempted it, and Steven Tyler may have committed career suicide, but that's it.

Congrats Ramsay, you're the biggest a-hole on TV!

stingermck 09-29-10 07:46 AM

80K in debt and a failing business, probably would've happened with or without Ramsay.

starman9000 09-29-10 07:53 AM

With the amount of shows he has, 2 is probably well below the typical suicide rate in the country.

RichC2 09-29-10 07:54 AM

If anything, Ramsay bought him a few months. (There's almost always a short-lived uptick in business after a camera crew comes to town.)

The big thing here isn't so much their egos being killed. They're in a tough industry -- Hell's Kitchen contestants are usually from a mix of low paying jobs (line cooks, etc; ) and Kitchen Nightmares has more to do with trying to help failing businesses. In both situations, you have financially strapped individuals, during a financially trying time. Suicide is pretty common with that combo.

Jobronie 09-29-10 08:02 AM

It's north Jersey, stuff happens. Or was going to happen.

(Last year, one of our opposing travel basketball asst. coaches was shot in the back of his head while sitting at his desk at his small family-owned business. Robbery was not a motive.)

silentbob007 09-29-10 09:14 AM

Exactly ... for KN, it's about family businesses in trouble.

Larry C. 09-29-10 09:18 AM

I actually like the guy. :shrug:

Mikael79 09-29-10 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Larry C. (Post 10400213)
I actually like the guy. :shrug:

I do as well. I think most of his haters have only seen a small portions of him, which will definitely give people the wrong idea. Deep down, the guy is a teddy bear, but he really wants people to hit their potential and stop making excuses.

bigsoos 09-29-10 09:30 AM

maybe it was the affair the guy was having with his pastry chef

Quatermass 09-29-10 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mikael79 (Post 10400224)
I do as well. I think most of his haters have only seen a small portions of him, which will definitely give people the wrong idea. Deep down, the guy is a teddy bear, but he really wants people to hit their potential and stop making excuses.

I don't like him. I've seen slightly more than small portions of him. I have seen Hell's Kitchen 2 or 3 times and Master Chef once or twice. On his own shows, he seems like a hot-headed asshole and on talk shows he seems like a conceited, overbearing jerk. I've never seen any likable qualities.

FantasticVSDoom 09-29-10 11:27 AM

Kitchen Nightmares definetely shows a different side of him... I hate Hell's Kitchen and Master Chef, but KN is one of my fav shows on TV.

whoopdido 09-29-10 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass (Post 10400489)
I don't like him. I've seen slightly more than small portions of him. I have seen Hell's Kitchen 2 or 3 times and Master Chef once or twice. On his own shows, he seems like a hot-headed asshole and on talk shows he seems like a conceited, overbearing jerk. I've never seen any likable qualities.

I've never seen him on a talk show I guess, but you have to remember that on Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares to a lesser extent and I'm sure it's the same on Master Chef even though I haven't seen the show, he's acting. He's playing the part of a hot-headed jerk asshole.

He's been very successful in the real world restaurant business and everybody knows that you can't act like that in the real world. He'd have dozens of lawsuits filed against him every year by his employees. Also nobody is going to go eat at a restaurant if somebody is actually cursing and screaming in the kitchen in full view of the customers.

It's an act for tv. No businessman worth his salt could act like that and get away with it in today's world.

whoopdido 09-29-10 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom (Post 10400513)
Kitchen Nightmares definetely shows a different side of him... I hate Hell's Kitchen and Master Chef, but KN is one of my fav shows on TV.

If you haven't seen the British version of Kitchen Nightmares it shows even more of his true personality. The British version is much more subdued and much more real. The American version is still staged in many ways.

FantasticVSDoom 09-29-10 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by whoopdido (Post 10400517)
If you haven't seen the British version of Kitchen Nightmares it shows even more of his true personality. The British version is much more subdued and much more real. The American version is still staged in many ways.

Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that I meant the British version. Do they even still do the American version?

islandclaws 09-29-10 11:36 AM

Nothing, I think he's entertaining as hell.

DJariya 09-29-10 12:05 PM

Couldn't the guy have just filed for bankruptcy than offing himself? Unless he owed money to the mob or something?

Anubis2005X 09-29-10 12:05 PM

Wow, I saw that episode of Kitchen Nightmares as well. That's sad, but that was years ago. If anything, Ramsey only helped his business...

Rob V 09-29-10 12:06 PM

I like him and if you're going to off yourself, it's not because he told you to piss off.