Stargate Universe -- Season Premiere -- "Intervention" -- 09/28/10

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Stargate Universe -- Season Premiere -- "Intervention" -- 09/28/10

Originally Posted by DJariya
QFTT

If I wanted to hear Rodney McKay's jokes or see John Shepherd's scowl, I'll bust open the SG-A DVD's.
Careful! You're admitting you like that "goofy" old show. That just isn't done!

And I don't think anyone is supposed to be truly likeable. Why does a show always have to have someone you need to root for? If I had to pick one, It would probably be TJ or maybe even Eli. Probably more for TJ since she's gorgeous....but I'm a little repulsed that someone that hot would sleep with someone like Young. Hence, the issues.
"Root for"? When did I say "root for"? I said "care about". I never really "rooted for" Jack Shephard or John Locke (or the rest of the Losties), but I cared about what happened to them. They had issues, but they were sympathetic characters. I guess you could say that I "rooted for them" to not die, and to grow as characters.
Old 10-02-10, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Well I did like Atlantis alot until the 5th season when it just became more of the same every week. It got annoying on other boards with people who hate SGU saying how it needs The Wraith, More Comedy or More Stargate hopping like SG-A.

SGU is a totally different show and while I know not everyone is going to like it, I'm glad that Wright and Cooper tried something different than the same old Stargate formula that's been used for almost 15 years now. It's a heavily serialized drama with characters have dark pasts coming together on this damn spaceship. I don't like Young or Rush....they are truly selfish people with different motives on this mission. But, I'm compelled by their back stories along with many other people on the ship like Scott, TJ, Eli and Mr. Mean and how they all ended up in this situation.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-02-10 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-02-10, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Oh, yeah, right. I forgot. Anyone who doesn't love this tripe is just an unsophisticated dolt who doesn't "get" its brilliance. And naturally, there's the lame, self congratulatory, pretentious insult of the previous incarnation of the Stargate series (which ran for five years, BTW), and the by-association insult of those who prefer it over SGU (which was never even mentioned by me, in case you failed to notice).

Please at least TRY to form a new, original thought when concocting your insults.
Oh please. Your original post simply put me in mind of previous negative comments by others here about SGU. Comments that pretty much said what I parroted in my post. And I never said you mentioned SG:A, (a show that ran 5 years and STILL managed to suck, BTW) so get over yourself.
Old 10-02-10, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Careful! You're admitting you like that "goofy" old show. That just isn't done!

"Root for"? When did I say "root for"? I said "care about". I never really "rooted for" Jack Shephard or John Locke (or the rest of the Losties), but I cared about what happened to them. They had issues, but they were sympathetic characters. I guess you could say that I "rooted for them" to not die, and to grow as characters.

Oh I don't know....maybe that's YOUR problem and not the show's?

I happen to care a great deal about the characters on this show. I also care about what happens to them and what paths they'll take.
Old 10-02-10, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get over myself? I gave a clear explanation of why I don't like or watch the show any longer, one that made no mention of Wraith, comedy, Rodney, or ANY other SG-A element. And rather than engage in intelligent, courteous discourse, you opted to take the low road. Methinks you are the one with a self that needs "getting over".

But then, it would appear that I am not the only one who has "gotten over" SGU, based on its rather lackluster ratings.
Old 10-02-10, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Get over myself? I gave a clear explanation of why I don't like or watch the show any longer, one that made no mention of Wraith, comedy, Rodney, or ANY other SG-A element. And rather than engage in intelligent, courteous discourse, you opted to take the low road. Methinks you are the one with a self that needs "getting over".
I gave a clear, honest, and short explanation of why I like this show. That I didn't drag things out for several pages does not take away from my reasons. So don't give me that, "you didn't want to discuss" line of nonsense. That fact that you got stuck on my mentioning what others had said, something I did NOT attribute to YOU, in the past is not my problem. So yeah...you do need to get over yourself.

BTW, if you don't like the way I discuss things...there's always the "IGNORE" button.

But then, it would appear that I am not the only one who has "gotten over" SGU, based on its rather lackluster ratings.
Hey, that's fine. That's how TV works. No one has a gun to anyone's head forcing them to watch this show. If they dump the show, they dump the show.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-02-10 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-02-10, 01:37 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

SGU is a totally different show and while I know not everyone is going to like it, I'm glad that Wright and Cooper tried something different than the same old Stargate formula that's been used for almost 15 years now. It's a heavily serialized drama with characters have dark pasts coming together on this damn spaceship. I don't like Young or Rush....they are truly selfish people with different motives on this mission. But, I'm compelled by their back stories along with many other people on the ship like Scott, TJ, Eli and Mr. Mean and how they all ended up in this situation.

I like how SGU has so far, kinda fulfilled the premise that ST: Voyager initially wanted to be, but ended up just following the standard ST formula. The "stranded in space" concept was always interesting to me, and I'm glad it's getting another chance.

Kinda sucks about the ratings though. I wonder if the upcoming sci-fi block of SGU and Caprica together will have any effect, or if it'll tank both shows (since Caprica has a similar pacing to SGU, and is also heavily serialized).

With "Fringe" also having lower ratings, it would be horrible if all of my favorite genre shows bite it after this season

Get over myself?
It's your tone in the post - you might have considered your initial post "intelligent, courteous discourse" but it was adversarial from the beginning, and it's not that surprising others took you up on it.

Just as a tip, you kinda (perhaps unknowingly) hinted that people who like SGU are pretentious, hence the kind and type of responses you've been getting. It's an observation only - I have zero energy or desire to get into any discussion board bickering anymore, so feel free to rave at me however much you want.
Old 10-02-10, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I gave a clear, honest, and short explanation of why I like this show. That I didn't drag things out for several pages does not take away from my reasons. So don't give me that, "you didn't want to discuss" line of nonsense. That fact that you got stuck on my mentioning what others had said, something I did NOT attribute to YOU, in the past is not my problem. So yeah...you do need to get over yourself.
Fair enough. If your SG-A comment wasn't directed at me, then I apologize. I've just heard that chestnut trotted out one too many times, and took it as a bit of an affront. Yes, there are some fans who dislike SGU simply because it isn't SG-A, but I'm not one of them. I have no problems with serialized drama, as long as it is well written, with well-formed characters, and a compelling story. I just don't feel that SGU succeeds in any of those areas. I think it had a compelling premise, but it failed to deliver on that premise for me.

As for any adversarial tone in my original post, rest assured it is not directed at any viewers or fans, but squarely at the show's creators, and their condescending attitude toward their viewers.
Old 10-02-10, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

And I apologize for how things went down here between us.

Peace
Old 10-02-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I finally figured out that my favorite character on the show is Destiny and that I'm intrigued enough by its story to wade through the cheesy melodramas. And I knew that the move to Tuesday would be the death knell for the series.
Old 10-02-10, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
People just want goofy Stargate Atlantis again.
I do.
Old 10-02-10, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Yep, the great thing about the Stargate shows was that they were actually fun to watch, not the depressing drek that SGU is...

Oh, and it wouldn't be SGU without a depressing montage every week!
Old 10-02-10, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread got into some great robo family drama.
Old 10-04-10, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to bring up the inclusion of t-bag on the show. They must have just slipped him in as one of the alliance during this ep because I'm quite positive that he wasn't there previously. The actor has already done the creepy/psycho villain schtick on Prison Break and Heroes, and I have a feeling we're in for a 3rd heaping helping here as well. I saw him yesterday on promos for the new series "Chase" playing a baddie as well.
Old 10-04-10, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm glad to see they carried over the momentum from the finale. I'm also glad that the solutions for each of the cliffhangers wasn't quite as predicable as one would expect.

I didn't like the TJ segments. It was just weird. It was also a slow lapse back into where we left off.

Nobody had a lot of character screen time in this one. I do like the rebel-rebel leader. I hope some of them will be worked into the crew as their skills are needed. The fresh faces and interactions with the old crew would be welcome.

Looks like Chloe may have something more going on this season.

I know people where are split on old SG v new SG, but I really like the new change of pace. The situation isn't as high strung as BSG (end of their civilization) and it's nowhere near as light-hearted as SG-1/A (by now we would have heard Rodney complaining umteen times about "Food. I need food because my blood sugar,...and, and, and then I get tired...") I feel like you're seeing regular people with issues reacting in situations that are extreme.