Hawaii Five-O -- New Series -- "Pilot" -- 09/20/10

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hawaii Five-O -- New Series -- "Pilot" -- 09/20/10

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Grace Park... drool
Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan.....drool.
Old 09-20-10, 11:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

So did they trace that call to inside a police station and the talk of Chin Ho being on the "Take" tells me that the HPD is corrupt and that'll be a back story to the show.
Old 09-21-10, 02:32 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's been years since I've watched anything on CBS during prime time. I have to admit was pleasantly surprised by Five-0. Tons of action, Caan and O'Loughlin have some pretty good chemistry together. I know they threw everything and the kitchen sink into the pilot... so, hopefully the don't cheap-out going forward with regular episodes.

This pilot had me flashing back to my early teenage years growing up watching Miami Vice, pretty amazing visuals and solid (yet a tad bit clichéd) storytelling, but still solid none the less.

Put it on HBO or Showtime... add some blood squibs, language and some nudity and Five-0 could be the best show on television.

Grade: B+
Old 09-21-10, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Only had time to watch this tonight.

Absolutely loved it! Probably one of the best and freshest action procedurals I've seen in a long time. Very well directed and lighted with lots of badass action and shootouts and the best part was there were no microscopes or labs. Wiseman did a really solid job shooting the Pilot. I hope he gets to direct another episode in the future.

O'Loughlin and Caan have great chemistry and I think they played well off each other in their scenes. I especially like the team being relatively small with McGarrett, Danno, Chin Ho and now Kona.

Even though I still watch CSI: Miami, I think Hawaii Five-O now surpasses it as the best looking CBS show in HD.

CBS has another hit on their hands. I give the Pilot an A. Hopefully they keep up the momentum as the weeks progress.
Old 09-21-10, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by leacha
So did they trace that call to inside a police station and the talk of Chin Ho being on the "Take" tells me that the HPD is corrupt and that'll be a back story to the show.
They never mentioned that any further. So, I also have to assume this will be a recurring element to the show on who is the corrupt cop in the HPD. Also, we never actually saw Victor Hess' body after McGarrett shot him, so I think that could potentially be another recurring element if they don't flat out say he's dead and buried in the next episode or 2.
Old 09-21-10, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Great pilot. This is a show that oozes confidence. The cast has great chemistry. It's shot very very well, definitely one of the best looking shows on TV. And yeah, it's a whole lot of fun. Honestly, it felt more like a FOX show than a CBS show.

Loved the ringtone Danno had for his ex-wife.

I'm in for the long haul. CBS really surprised me tonight. Mike & Molly wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected, and Five-O hit it out of the park.
Old 09-21-10, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TheKing
Great pilot. This is a show that oozes confidence. The cast has great chemistry. It's shot very very well, definitely one of the best looking shows on TV. And yeah, it's a whole lot of fun. Honestly, it felt more like a FOX show than a CBS show.

Loved the ringtone Danno had for his ex-wife.

I'm in for the long haul. CBS really surprised me tonight. Mike & Molly wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected, and Five-O hit it out of the park.
Agree with everything you said, which echos alot of my sentiments.

We'll find out the Nielsen numbers Tuesday morning, but I think the numbers for the premiere are going to be huge.

Alex O'Loughlin has finally snapped out of his curse of cancelled shows IMO.
Old 09-21-10, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I thought it was decent.

I will give it a few more weeks.
Old 09-21-10, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Sounds like everyone is pretty much on the same page. Enjoyed it, great chemistry, and fun.

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Was good. But what the fuck was 8M spent on? Serioulsy!
I was thinking the same thing. It looked pretty in HD, but there wasn't much there. I assume that's just the price of shooting in Hawaii that drives up the cost.

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I thought it was enjoyable. Len Wiseman sure likes to stage stunt scenes with automobiles.
The one where McGarrett(?) slid over the car hood while another car crashed head first into it was laughably bad. They get points for concept, but they didn't pull it off with this budget.
Old 09-21-10, 08:11 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The one where McGarrett(?) slid over the car hood while another car crashed head first into it was laughably bad. They get points for concept, but they didn't pull it off with this budget.
$8 million not enough for ya?
Old 09-21-10, 08:13 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me the only enjoyable part was the chemistry between Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan. The rest was ok.

If they give us more back story on the characters in the next few episodes this may be a keeper as of now I am not terribly invested in them at the moment since we know very little about them.

Greg
Old 09-21-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

This was not nearly as bad as I had expected. But there are some issues:

1. Although the two leads have chemistry, the script was simply trying to hard to make them "banter" with each other. However, I do feel that will work itself out and it will seem a little more natural.

2. The episodes plot wrapped up a little too quickly...it was almost like this was supposed to be a 90 min episode.

3. Grace Park seems like she is just there for her looks...at least at the moment. And man Will Yun Lee was totally out of place in this episode...and I really like him as an actor.

Aside from that, this was solid. I will check it out week to week unless it gets canned.
Old 09-21-10, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

It wasn't perfect but it was fun. I hope William Sadler pops back up in flashbacks.

Oh...and Grace Park looked amazing
Old 09-21-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked it but... using Daniel Dae Kim was a huge mistake. The scenery was the same as LOST because both were filmed in Hawaii, I just can't get Jinan Kwon out of my head. I kept expecting Sun to walk into the room or at the end when they were thinking of a name for their group, for him to say "How about the Oceanic 5?". It's too soon to use him in a role set in Hawaii.

Now, I also watched Battlestar Galactica and had no problem with Grace Park in this show. Because this show isn't set on a Battleship in outer space.
Old 09-21-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by Heat
I liked it but... using Daniel Dae Kim was a huge mistake. The scenery was the same as LOST because both were filmed in Hawaii, I just can't get Jinan Kwon out of my head. I kept expecting Sun to walk into the room or at the end when they were thinking of a name for their group, for him to say "How about the Oceanic 5?". It's too soon to use him in a role set in Hawaii.

Now, I also watched Battlestar Galactica and had no problem with Grace Park in this show. Because this show isn't set on a Battleship in outer space.
He did mention early in the episode about being off the island and I promptly yelled at the TV, "No one ever leaves the island!"
Old 09-21-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Only had time to watch this tonight.

Absolutely loved it! Probably one of the best and freshest action procedurals I've seen in a long time. Very well directed and lighted with lots of badass action and shootouts and the best part was there were no microscopes or labs. Wiseman did a really solid job shooting the Pilot. I hope he gets to direct another episode in the future.

O'Loughlin and Caan have great chemistry and I think they played well off each other in their scenes. I especially like the team being relatively small with McGarrett, Danno, Chin Ho and now Kona.

Even though I still watch CSI: Miami, I think Hawaii Five-O now surpasses it as the best looking CBS show in HD.

CBS has another hit on their hands. I give the Pilot an A. Hopefully they keep up the momentum as the weeks progress.
Summarizes my thoughts better than I could. Really enjoyed the pilot, looking forward to more.
Old 09-21-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wow, really? I watched that stunt twice because I thought they did a good job making it look relatively seamless.

I really enjoyed this show. The setting is great, the cast has a lot of chemistry, the show looked good production-wise. I'll stick with it.

The funniest thing about the setting was all of the sweeping shots of Hawaii made me think "huh, you never saw this part of the island on LOST," and then I realized they weren't supposed to be on Hawaii, which made me laugh at how I never really thought of the island on LOST as not being Hawaii
Old 09-21-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone distracted by O'Loughlin's veneers? They reminded me of the Mask's teeth at times.
Old 09-21-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I missed this does anyone know if CBS will re-air this or do I have to watch it on Hulu?
Old 09-21-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It re-airs Saturday @ 8 pm
Old 09-21-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I missed this does anyone know if CBS will re-air this or do I have to watch it on Hulu?
It re-airs Saturday at 8pm. And it wouldn't be on Hulu, it would be on CBS's website and it's there right now.
Old 09-21-10, 10:16 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Anyone distracted by O'Loughlin's veneers? They reminded me of the Mask's teeth at times.
i was distracted by his jerky head movement
Old 09-21-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought the stunt with O'Loughlin jumping over the car crash was awesome, definately made me sit up and take notice. I also liked the gun play in the show, how bullets don't just hit the ground in front of the good guys.
Old 09-21-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Don't get me wrong, it was cool, there was just something about it looked/felt "off" to me.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 09-21-10 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-21-10, 10:51 AM

More of a casting issue (or a makeup issue.), but I couldnt tell who was who during the climactic fight between Steve-O and the bad guy

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.