Reload this Page >

Boardwalk Empire --> "Boardwalk Empire" --> 09/19/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Boardwalk Empire --> "Boardwalk Empire" --> 09/19/10

Old 09-24-10, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Boardwalk Empire --> "Boardwalk Empire" --> 09/19/10

Originally Posted by wmansir
I also think the opening scene with the mayor, chief of police, etc all sitting around the table discussing their criminal empire was a little too hollywood.
How else do you think they did it? See link about 1957 meeting where all the biggest mobsters in the country met in one spot to discuss business issues and were all caught on surveillance,.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apalachin_Meeting#Apalachin_meeting_agenda
Old 09-25-10, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

This was good. Everything from the production values to the actors were great.

My only problem was I felt lost much of the time. I know very little of the time period. For example, Lucky Luciano and Capone were the only names I recognized.
Not Abe Rothstein? He's perhaps the most intriguing figure in the history of organized crime. The man is recognised as the smartest guy in the mob and he outlasted everyone else. He was playing in Bugsy by Ben Kingsly and slightly fictionalized as Hyman Roth in The Godfather Part II.

Last edited by Decker; 09-25-10 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-25-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Abe Rothstein sounds vaguely familiar now that you mention it, but then again it's a fairly common sounding name.

@NickyTwoTimes
I don't doubt that mobsters had meetups, but mobsters are one thing and city officials are another. Not that I don't believe they could be all be corrupt, but their indiscretion and frankness seemed unnaturally forced to provide exposition.
Old 09-25-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally watched this the other day and really enjoyed it. I agree that it did cram a lot into the first episode, but I thought Buscemi was fantastic (as usual) and I love the period and setting. Def looking forward to the rest of the season.
Old 09-25-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do we know why everyone is so partial to Jimmy (Commodore was surprised, sheriff as well, Enoch treats him like he is his son, etc..)? Gangster father? There has to be more than him being Princeton worthy...
Old 09-25-10, 10:38 PM

Not quite sure why Nucky gave the Irish woman all that money right off the bat. She was at that woman's meeting in the beginning, but I didn't recall Nucky noticing her. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-25-10, 11:17 PM

I don't doubt that mobsters had meetups, but mobsters are one thing and city officials are another. Not that I don't believe they could be all be corrupt, but their indiscretion and frankness seemed unnaturally forced to provide exposition.
Yeah I know what your saying, but just remember it was in a time some 80 years ago. Women couldn't even vote, swerving your hips was a sexual revolution, they banned booze for christs sake!
I doubt Police Commissioner Ray Kelly (NY) is sitting down with Junior Gotti discussing heroin shipments into the Bronx... But I'll believe it if their grandfathers once did.
Old 09-26-10, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by siddd5
Not quite sure why Nucky gave the Irish woman all that money right off the bat. She was at that woman's meeting in the beginning, but I didn't recall Nucky noticing her. Correct me if I'm wrong.
He didn't. But he sure did when she came into his office. He was clearly moved by and taken with her. Very rich man trying to help out pregnant woman in need - I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but it doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility either.
Old 09-26-10, 01:21 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Not Abe Rothstein? He's perhaps the most intriguing figure in the history of organized crime. The man is recognised as the smartest guy in the mob and he outlasted everyone else. He was playing in Bugsy by Ben Kingsly and slightly fictionalized as Hyman Roth in The Godfather Part II.
You're thinking of Meyer Lansky. Arnold Rothstein was of the generation prior to Lansky/Luciano/Siegel, and is most famous for (allegedly) fixing the 1919 World Series (Say it ain't so, Joe!). Rothstein is pretty famous in his own right -- he was the model for Meyer Wolfsheim in The Great Gatsby and Nathan Detroit in Guys and Dolls.

Big Jim Colosimo was a big-time Chicago gangster and he basically started the Chicago mob. Johnny Torrio was his lieutenant (and nephew), and took over the Chicago outfit when Colosimo was killed. Capone, in turn, was Torrio's lieutenant.
Old 09-26-10, 01:23 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Abe Rothstein sounds vaguely familiar now that you mention it, but then again it's a fairly common sounding name.

@NickyTwoTimes
Why wouldn't they? It's perfectly natural for them to meet -- they're the leaders of AC. Of course they get together and discuss business. It's just that most people not in that room had no idea what kind of business they were discussing.
Old 09-26-10, 12:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Boardwalk Empire --> "The Ivory Tower" --> 09/26/10

Boardwalk Empire --> "The Ivory Tower" --> 09/26/10

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Agent Nelson Van Alden visits Mucky; Nucky discusses the upcoming election with his mentor.

Ep. 2 tonight at 9pm EST.

I asked mods to change title so we can use as season discussion since 12eps.
Old 09-26-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think this series will have enough posts to warrant an individual thread per episode.
Old 09-26-10, 12:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

i honestly don't see why every single series aired on tv needs a thread for every single episode. especially since this is a pay cable channel and would limit viewers who don't subscribe to HBO. this is like a little mini-series and could exist in one, but i don't really care.
Old 09-26-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's not a mini-series, a lot of shows only have 12 episodes per season and this has already been renewed for a second season. It doesn't matter to me either, but I know a lot of people enjoy being able to search for an episode title and find a specific episode thread without having to sift through one huge thread for comments on any particular episode. Like I said, I don't really care either, but I know there are other shows that probably have less than half the discussion this series will get that have specific episode threads posted every week.
Old 09-26-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Alright folks, settle down. Took the initiative and created episode 2:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/579...9-26-10-a.html

Your welcome
Old 09-27-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
He didn't. But he sure did when she came into his office. He was clearly moved by and taken with her. Very rich man trying to help out pregnant woman in need - I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but it doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility either.
He obviously has some issues with babies/pregnancy, if you remember him looking in at the underweight baby store (I hope they were discounted).

I could see the robbery being forgiven (maybe, if he was well loved) but what about them knowing he snitched about the mortuary?

Haven't seen episode two yet so I hope it's addressed.