DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Andy Whitfield forced to quit Spartacus (Cancer returns) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/579402-andy-whitfield-forced-quit-spartacus-cancer-returns.html)

DJariya 09-17-10 09:58 PM

Andy Whitfield forced to quit Spartacus (Cancer returns)

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.co...spartacus.html

Sad and surprising news: Andy Whitfield is not returning to "Spartacus" for season two. Below is the statement.

Andy Whitfield, star of Starz's "Spartacus: Blood and Sand," has been advised by his doctors to immediately resume aggressive treatment for a recurrence of cancer, as a result of which he will not be returning for the series' second season, which was tentatively set to air in September 2011.

"It‚s with a deep sense of disappointment that I must step aside from such an exceptional project as ŚSpartacus‚ and all the wonderful people involved. It seems that it is time for myself and my family to embark on another extraordinary journey. Thank you sincerely for the support so far," said Whitfield.

"Our hearts and prayers are with Andy and his family during this difficult time," said Starz President and CEO Chris Albrecht. "Andy is not only an incredible actor whose portrayal of Spartacus made an indelible impression on Starz audiences, he is also an amazing human being whose courage, strength, and grace in the face of adversity have inspired all of us."

No decisions have yet been made about the future of the series. "Right now, we just want to extend our concern and support to Andy and his family," said Carmi Zlotnik, Managing Director, Starz Media. "We will address our programming plans at some later date."

Starz still plans to air the prequel to "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" in January 2011. Entitled "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena," it focuses on the House of Batiatus before Spartacus arrives in Capua and stars returning cast members John Hannah, Lucy Lawless, Peter Mensah and Manu Bennett, along with newcomer Dustin Clare.

:( Sad News about Andy's health. I wish him well and hopefully he can beat the disease.

Gizmo 09-17-10 10:02 PM

Re: Andy Whitfield forced to quit Spartacus (Cancer returns)

And announced a few days after the DVD/BD hit shelves. Classy Starz, classy.

The only way to continue to the show is recast him or kill him off. Otherwise the show will just get canceled.

DJariya 09-17-10 10:05 PM

I think they have to recast him. Starz has already invested money in the 2nd season and I assume scripts have been written and sets have already been built.

Thrush 09-17-10 11:34 PM

They can either recast him or keep going with the prequels. Which I wouldn't mind as i really like the original cast.

mwbmis 09-18-10 12:07 AM

This sucks for him and the show. I think the reality is that they have to recast. The show had too much forward momentum at the end of season one that it has to continue with that storyline.

I don't mean to be cruel, but from purely an acting/characterization standpoint he was solid in the lead. I don't think his performance was so special that it is irreplaceable. Honestly, there are supporting characters that I would miss more (now, if you told Viva Bianca wouldn't be back...)

I certainly hope he gets well though.

MrSmearkase 09-18-10 12:16 AM

That's a shame to hear, I wish him well :(

Bill Needle 09-18-10 12:27 AM

Jupiter's c*ck, that's sad news all around.

alfredog1976 09-18-10 12:33 AM

Very sad

mrhan 09-28-10 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 10377707)
This sucks for him and the show. I think the reality is that they have to recast. The show had too much forward momentum at the end of season one that it has to continue with that storyline.

I don't mean to be cruel, but from purely an acting/characterization standpoint he was solid in the lead. I don't think his performance was so special that it is irreplaceable. Honestly, there are supporting characters that I would miss more (now, if you told Viva Bianca wouldn't be back...)

I certainly hope he gets well though.

His health should comes first but the show must go on. Any thoughts on who should replace him?

redrum 09-28-10 10:33 AM

Fuck

Geofferson 09-28-10 11:22 AM

It will be tough to replace him, but something they should look to do. With all the CGI the show already has, perhaps they can do something creative that way.

Navinabob 09-28-10 11:59 AM

I was thinking they might be able to keep him as a mythic figure spoken in whispers while some of the side characters recruit an army. Maybe he can be slowly added back into the story with bits of dialog of him barking orders like a general.

Or a reveal down the line that he was captured and imprisoned where he pretty much just has to sit and act like he was wounded... I dunno, I think it is possible to still keep him part of the show banking on the idea that he might be better late next year when they'll need him to return.

Boba Fett 09-28-10 02:28 PM

Yeah, they could easily do a season with Crixus as the hero.

Laughoutloud 09-28-10 02:56 PM

it is sad news, I wish him well. I also look forward to seeing how the show will progress.

bunkaroo 09-28-10 03:46 PM

I haven't see the series so please no spoilers - simple question: can the first season stand alone or is it a cliffhanger? I'm about to start watching but might not bother if it's something that may never be resolved.

JasonF 09-28-10 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10398882)
I haven't see the series so please no spoilers - simple question: can the first season stand alone or is it a cliffhanger? I'm about to start watching but might not bother if it's something that may never be resolved.

The first season stands alone quite nicely. It is obviously only the first act of a larger story, but it is a complete act in and of itself with a begining, a middle, and an end.

mwbmis 09-28-10 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10398882)

One thing needs to be stressed though. Stick with it. The first episode is pretty much crap, but the show slowly starts to get better until it became absolute, must immediately see TV by the end.

John Hannah's performance is an experience.

Navinabob 09-28-10 06:05 PM

Even Xena is fantastic in this. For a bunch of actors sitting in front of green-screen they do an amazing job.

I found the show because one of the guys behind the show Angel does the writing and I had faith in his ability to tell a rewarding story. Otherwise I might have missed it.

Dr. DVD 09-28-10 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 10398886)
The first season stands alone quite nicely. It is obviously only the first act of a larger story, but it is a complete act in and of itself with a begining, a middle, and an end.

I feel the same. I think that if you take the prequel series and couple it with the first season, it could form a great show about the House of Batiatus
Spoiler:
complete with its fall .

Sucks for Andy Whitfield. :( It's a shame that this happened to him once his star began to truly shine. In all honesty, they need to and most likely will re-cast, but they could conceivably end the show with the first season, since it's all technically one big prequel for written history.

DJariya 09-28-10 09:20 PM

They have to make a decision fast about the shows future because the production crew and staff are going to be sitting around waiting. Alot of the production staff is from the United States and they aren't going to be waiting around in New Zealand without a job.

TGM 09-28-10 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 10399586)
They have to make a decision fast about the shows future because the production crew and staff are going to be sitting around waiting. Alot of the production staff is from the United States and they aren't going to be waiting around in New Zealand without a job.

If I was Andy Whitfield, I'd do my best to let them know I was AOK with recasting... just because I was sick, I would hate for hundreds of people to lose their jobs.

windom 09-28-10 10:24 PM

I hear the guy from Lone Star is available.

JJE-187 09-30-10 12:48 AM

So now they have a Spartacus show without Spartacus? Maybe they can have him get "injured" and have to wear a mask this season?

I assume a re-casting will be announced in a few days and then the 2nd season will suck and it gets cancelled and the sick guy gets better makes a indy film and wins an oscar in 5 years

bigjim25 09-30-10 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 10399713)
I hear the guy from Lone Star is available.

:lol: Maybe they could get Ted McGinley.
http://cm1.theinsider.com/thumbnail/...d_mcginley.jpg

Kmical 09-30-10 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by bill needle (Post 10377729)
jupiter's c*ck, that's sad news all around.

:lol: