Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Stan Lee's Superhumans (History Channel)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-16-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody watch this show? It's pretty entertaining. For those unfamiliar with it, it's a documentary television series that debuted August 5, 2010 on History. It is hosted by Stan Lee and follows contortionist Daniel Browning Smith, the most flexible man in the world, as he searches the globe for real-life superhumans – people with extraordinary physical or mental abilities.
Old 09-17-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Stan Lee's Superhumans (History Channel)

I guess no one...you're missing out!
Old 09-17-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not watching - nor had I even heard of it - but someone just told me about this morning.
I will set my DVR....
Old 09-17-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Anybody watch this show? It's pretty entertaining. For those unfamiliar with it, it's a documentary television series that debuted August 5, 2010 on History. It is hosted by Stan Lee and follows contortionist Daniel Browning Smith, the most flexible man in the world, as he searches the globe for real-life superhumans – people with extraordinary physical or mental abilities.
Ok, physical abilities I get, it is the "mental abilities" that worries me. Does a show on the History Channel really work on the presumption that people have psychic powers? Have they done anything on that yet?

That'd be doing an episode on WWE's "The Undertaker" because he is a zombie who is able to withstand hundreds of punches a night and still be fine after the match.
Old 09-17-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My wife and I are addicted to this show. My favorite so far was Bob Munden, the "fastest gun in the world." When he shot the two different balloons in the lab and it sounded like one shot in real-time...that was awesome.
Old 09-17-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
Ok, physical abilities I get, it is the "mental abilities" that worries me. Does a show on the History Channel really work on the presumption that people have psychic powers? Have they done anything on that yet?
I haven't seen all the episodes, but so far I haven't seen any psychic powers. An example of the mental abilities that I've seen is Scott Flansburg, the "human calculator." He can do extremely complex math problems in his head in a split second.
Old 09-17-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like it..some of the things were really cool (like the guy that acts like a Bat)
Old 09-17-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I absolutely love this show. The dude that could hold his breath underwater for an incredibly long time was very memorable, as was the guy that could get objects to stick to his skin. I've probably only seen 3-4 episodes, but I enjoyed every one.

Stan Lee has one of those voices that could make grocery shopping sound like an adventure.
Old 09-17-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, it does sound pretty neat. Thanks guys, I'll give it a try.

Excelsior!
Old 09-17-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That'd be doing an episode on WWE's "The Undertaker" because he is a zombie who is able to withstand hundreds of punches a night and still be fine after the match.
Someone mentioned him in another post, but the man who's able to get things to stick to his skin apparently does it through telekinesis. It was definitely a wtf moment.
Old 09-17-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From Randi.org:

THAT POT HEAD MAN

Marc just mentioned another “magnetic man” stunt artist, which leads me to explain a puzzle I offered you last week. We asked you to guess who the man was with a pot stuck to his forehead. This guy – Miroslaw Magola – has been around for years, festooned with pots and pans, spray cans and various household utensils. It’s even possible that he’s deluded, and really believes he’s “magnetic.” I first heard of him in October of 1996, when we were only offering as a prize the pledges of those who volunteered them, and at that moment it stood at US$776,000. At that time, Magola had some London lawyers write to us, but did not tell us what his claimed “power” was. Then his legal representative, Victor Romiszewski, informed us that:

Our client confirms he can lift items from place to place without holding the items. He can wave his hand (and arm) with the attached item vigorously to show how strong the item is attracted to his hand. He can also lift items from the floor with the use of his forehead. (ie by the item being attracted or attached to the forehead). All the above is done without trickery (ie like adhesive, glue etc) and he can attract items up to the weight of 1kg. The main point of his ability is that by lifting the objects he is defying the present laws of gravity which probably is a very interesting fact at least for the world of science. He can also attract the objects using his chest, stomach and shoulders.

At this point we would like confirmation from you whether he is suitable within your specific needs as a challenger for the Psychic Challenge. Obviously there is not [any] point in pursuing this matter if you are not interested in our client.

We await hearing from you.

I responded:

The reward as it presently stands is US$971,000. It increases almost daily. And, yes, we are definitely interested in the claim made by your client. However, based upon your description, this sounds like the common "bio-magnetic power” claim that I have examined many times before in various parts of the world, particularly in Russia. If so, it does not fall within the designation "paranormal" or "supernatural."

Let me explain. All demonstrations I have seen of this claim, involve placing various objects (coins, flatirons, books, bottles, etc.) onto a body surface such as the hand, chest, forehead, arms, or back. The surface used is inclined away from the vertical, and the objects remain in position simply by friction and the adhesion offered by natural perspiration. In all cases, I have dusted the surface with talcum powder, and the objects have then slipped off. There is nothing supernatural, paranormal, or in any way unusual about such a claim. It is well within the established parameters of physics. As for lifting objects "from the floor with the use of his forehead," this can easily be done by anyone, using flat objects like coins or small plates, and the natural skin oils present.

Your letter uses the phrase "he can attract items up to the weight of 1 kg." I remind you that "attract" means (Webster's Dictionary) "to draw by a physical force, causing to approach." This would be similar to the manner in which a magnet draws small iron objects to itself, without touching the objects. Can Mr. Magola do this? Without touching it first, can he draw towards himself' a 1 kg weight?

That was the last I heard from Mr. Magola or his lawyers, until he wrote again in 2003 – with the prize now at US$1,000,000 – from Munich, Germany. He provided another rambling discussion of his claimed powers, and a video that clearly showed he was using the same methods I’d seen so many, many, times before. See randi.org/jr/082704gluton.html#7 for another mention of talcum powder, which appears to bring on severe allergic reactions in “magnetic” people…

Here’s just part of what Magola’s flacks say about him on his own web page:

“Magnetic Man” Miroslaw Magola defies laws of gravity with an extraordinary ability – applying the power of psycho kinesis [sic] he can raise anything from metal pans to marble statues, transport them through the air to affix to his body, then creates a force to keep them there – simply using mind control.

An avid enthusiast of the phenomenon of psychic energy, Miroslaw has developed his skill to manipulate lifeless objects in mid-air to obey his will, even forcing them spin around or shake. His mental powers are so keen that he can jump around while an object is stuck to his head without losing his mental grasp of the item. Miroslaw explains how he employs psycho kinetics [sic] to perform these uncanny feats, “It works because I load myself with energy (I connect myself to it) and at the same time I wish for the object to raise [sic].” Miroslaw has undergone numerous tests for his perplexing skill which remains unexplained by conventional science to date.

Mr. James Randi, of American James Randi Education Foundation (J.R.E.F), who has spent much of his life to debunk paranormal phenomenon and occurrences world-wide, does not dispute the authenticity of Magola’s talents.

In January 1997, Dr. M. Karger of the German Max Plank Institute examined Magola´s abilities. During a test using items for which some were supplied, he was able to touch the objects at all times and even attach them to Miroslaw himself. Without physical contact, Magola raised a cup, tilting it along horizontal and vertical axes. He kept it hovering in the air, moved it around and set it down. Although Miroslaw Magola has received world-wide notice, he remains unaffected by the attention. His passion is for the scientific investigation into psycho kinetics [sic] and paranormal abilities and to gain their widespread acceptance.

“The key to humanity’s advancement is the study of our own bodies” says Magola.

That comment about my involvement with Magola is – to put it kindly – a damn lie. Just to set things straight, Miroslaw Magola is an unwashed man with sticky skin who does a simple, juvenile stunt that can be totally defeated with a few grams of talcum powder. He’s a fake, a trickster, a liar. When will I see this quoted on his website, I wonder? And when will Magola treat us to a hovering cup, or transport a marble statue through the air? I can’t wait…!

And don’t neglect going to the hilarious “levitation” site: tinyurl.com/2sa8kj. Reading the comments, it seems evident that no one caught on! The very first photo should do it…
Old 09-17-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Someone mentioned him in another post, but the man who's able to get things to stick to his skin apparently does it through telekinesis. It was definitely a wtf moment.
Definitely! Also, it showed that he has the ability to lower his body temperature at will, which may or may not help, but is definitely freaky.
Old 09-17-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Definitely! Also, it showed that he has the ability to lower his body temperature at will, which may or may not help, but is definitely freaky.
That guy sounds awesome. I'm actually looking for anyone who actually tested the guy but so far I'm having no luck. He has a habit of agreeing to being tested, then never showing up, and then reporting on his website that he passed.

I've seen other guys do the "sticking" trick before, Randi sorta called him on it with the "powder" comment. I want to see the body-temperature trick myself... sounds like it'd be cool to figure out how he does it.
Old 09-18-10, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That guy sounds awesome. I'm actually looking for anyone who actually tested the guy but so far I'm having no luck. He has a habit of agreeing to being tested, then never showing up, and then reporting on his website that he passed.

I've seen other guys do the "sticking" trick before, Randi sorta called him on it with the "powder" comment. I want to see the body-temperature trick myself... sounds like it'd be cool to figure out how he does it.
This got me Googling him, and I found this link which has an interview and a lot of videos:

http://www.mind-energy.net/archives/...netic-man.html
Old 09-18-10, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw those as well and I don't really buy his explanation. Anyone can find a few normally respected scientists to back them up (Heck, 1,300 engineers think 9/11 was faked apparently) but it is very hard to fool trained magicians and illusionists with experience at debunking.
Old 09-20-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

From Randi.org:

THAT POT HEAD MAN

Marc just mentioned another “magnetic man” stunt artist, which leads me to explain a puzzle I offered you last week. We asked you to guess who the man was with a pot stuck to his forehead. This guy – Miroslaw Magola – has been around for years, festooned with pots and pans, spray cans and various household utensils. It’s even possible that he’s deluded, and really believes he’s “magnetic.” I first heard of him in October of 1996, when we were only offering as a prize the pledges of those who volunteered them, and at that moment it stood at US$776,000. At that time, Magola had some London lawyers write to us, but did not tell us what his claimed “power” was. Then his legal representative, Victor Romiszewski, informed us that:

Our client confirms he can lift items from place to place without holding the items. He can wave his hand (and arm) with the attached item vigorously to show how strong the item is attracted to his hand. He can also lift items from the floor with the use of his forehead. (ie by the item being attracted or attached to the forehead). All the above is done without trickery (ie like adhesive, glue etc) and he can attract items up to the weight of 1kg. The main point of his ability is that by lifting the objects he is defying the present laws of gravity which probably is a very interesting fact at least for the world of science. He can also attract the objects using his chest, stomach and shoulders.

At this point we would like confirmation from you whether he is suitable within your specific needs as a challenger for the Psychic Challenge. Obviously there is not [any] point in pursuing this matter if you are not interested in our client.

We await hearing from you.

I responded:

The reward as it presently stands is US$971,000. It increases almost daily. And, yes, we are definitely interested in the claim made by your client. However, based upon your description, this sounds like the common "bio-magnetic power” claim that I have examined many times before in various parts of the world, particularly in Russia. If so, it does not fall within the designation "paranormal" or "supernatural."

Let me explain. All demonstrations I have seen of this claim, involve placing various objects (coins, flatirons, books, bottles, etc.) onto a body surface such as the hand, chest, forehead, arms, or back. The surface used is inclined away from the vertical, and the objects remain in position simply by friction and the adhesion offered by natural perspiration. In all cases, I have dusted the surface with talcum powder, and the objects have then slipped off. There is nothing supernatural, paranormal, or in any way unusual about such a claim. It is well within the established parameters of physics. As for lifting objects "from the floor with the use of his forehead," this can easily be done by anyone, using flat objects like coins or small plates, and the natural skin oils present.

Your letter uses the phrase "he can attract items up to the weight of 1 kg." I remind you that "attract" means (Webster's Dictionary) "to draw by a physical force, causing to approach." This would be similar to the manner in which a magnet draws small iron objects to itself, without touching the objects. Can Mr. Magola do this? Without touching it first, can he draw towards himself' a 1 kg weight?

That was the last I heard from Mr. Magola or his lawyers, until he wrote again in 2003 – with the prize now at US$1,000,000 – from Munich, Germany. He provided another rambling discussion of his claimed powers, and a video that clearly showed he was using the same methods I’d seen so many, many, times before. See randi.org/jr/082704gluton.html#7 for another mention of talcum powder, which appears to bring on severe allergic reactions in “magnetic” people…

Here’s just part of what Magola’s flacks say about him on his own web page:

“Magnetic Man” Miroslaw Magola defies laws of gravity with an extraordinary ability – applying the power of psycho kinesis [sic] he can raise anything from metal pans to marble statues, transport them through the air to affix to his body, then creates a force to keep them there – simply using mind control.

An avid enthusiast of the phenomenon of psychic energy, Miroslaw has developed his skill to manipulate lifeless objects in mid-air to obey his will, even forcing them spin around or shake. His mental powers are so keen that he can jump around while an object is stuck to his head without losing his mental grasp of the item. Miroslaw explains how he employs psycho kinetics [sic] to perform these uncanny feats, “It works because I load myself with energy (I connect myself to it) and at the same time I wish for the object to raise [sic].” Miroslaw has undergone numerous tests for his perplexing skill which remains unexplained by conventional science to date.

Mr. James Randi, of American James Randi Education Foundation (J.R.E.F), who has spent much of his life to debunk paranormal phenomenon and occurrences world-wide, does not dispute the authenticity of Magola’s talents.

In January 1997, Dr. M. Karger of the German Max Plank Institute examined Magola´s abilities. During a test using items for which some were supplied, he was able to touch the objects at all times and even attach them to Miroslaw himself. Without physical contact, Magola raised a cup, tilting it along horizontal and vertical axes. He kept it hovering in the air, moved it around and set it down. Although Miroslaw Magola has received world-wide notice, he remains unaffected by the attention. His passion is for the scientific investigation into psycho kinetics [sic] and paranormal abilities and to gain their widespread acceptance.

“The key to humanity’s advancement is the study of our own bodies” says Magola.

That comment about my involvement with Magola is – to put it kindly – a damn lie. Just to set things straight, Miroslaw Magola is an unwashed man with sticky skin who does a simple, juvenile stunt that can be totally defeated with a few grams of talcum powder. He’s a fake, a trickster, a liar. When will I see this quoted on his website, I wonder? And when will Magola treat us to a hovering cup, or transport a marble statue through the air? I can’t wait…!

And don’t neglect going to the hilarious “levitation” site: /2sa8kj. Reading the comments, it seems evident that no one caught on! The very first photo should do it…

Typical skeptic arrogance. Randi claims he seen this type of ability before, and offers his explanation as if this explanation automatically applies to all cases. Magola may be a fake, but I've seen youtube videos where he puts talcum powder all over the object first.

I think a person with an open mind needs to be skeptical of Randi's explanation. He has achieved a good deal of fame from his skepticism, and he would certainly automatically lose credibility if he EVER admitted just once that a paranormal claim was true.
Old 09-20-10, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No explanation applies to each and every case. Modern illusionists are constantly reinventing old tricks with new modalities.

And Randi has been challenged hundreds of time before, and then dozens of times past that as there are multiple authorized test centers associated with several skeptic and scientific centers in the United States. Magola may, or may not, be fake... it's sort of irrelevant as long as he only provides proof in a setting where professional illusionists and scientists can't directly observe him, he will forever be a "probably not."

If someone claims they can lift 200 pounds over their head I'd be inclined to believe them if they are roughly the build I'd expect that to be true. I've know people who can do that feat and it is not something I'd be overly skeptical about. The same can not be true of lifting 2,000 pounds over ones head. If ever that sort of event becomes common-place I might cease to become skeptical of that feat of strength. I'm the same way with magic powers. So far everyone who stepped up is fake, so it'd be stupid to begin each paranormal investigation on the notion that this one is true.

I'm an avid fan of fantasy and sci-fi stories... I can embarrass myself easily with my wealth of knowledge of Tolkien, comic books and Star Trek that would label myself a king among dorks. I love a good story and would kill to witness someone with magic powers. I just don't let a good act cloud my thinking.

As a private investigator I've gotten to wander down to the county court system in Santa Clara County and look up the criminal case of fraud Sylvia Browne (the current #1 psychic in the US) and her husband were convicted of. No such claims against Randi...
Old 09-20-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
I think a person with an open mind needs to be skeptical of Randi's explanation.
And it's always a good idea to have an open mind... but not so open that every bit of intelligence you have spills out your head and onto the floor.