Old 09-14-10, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Life Unexpected -- Season Premiere -- "Ocean Uncharted" -- 09/14/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-03

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
In the second-season opener, Cate and Ryan are greeted with changes at work upon their return from their honeymoon. Elsewhere, Baze gets close with a new bartender; and Lux meets a guy who's new in town as she and Bug reach a turning point in their relationship.

Glad this is back. 13 episodes ordered right now. The ratings last season weren't great, but hopefully with an earlier launch they will grow.

So this is where they left off:

1) Baze hooks up with Cate's sister, but realizes he doesn't have feelings for her.
2) Cate asks Baze if he has feelings for her, but he denies it. Lux pushes him to act on them.
3) Ryan and Cate get married...Baze tries to stop the wedding, but is too late and looks like a douche.
4) Lux hooks up with fucking Bug again.

at fucking Bug coming back. God I hate that character. They need to cast a better love interest for Lux.
Old 09-14-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
Re: Life Unexpected -- Season Premiere -- "Ocean Uncharted" -- 09/14/10

Tuned in last season mostly due to my residual crush on Shiri Appleby left over from Roswell. Don't know if I'll be back for more.

Reviews of the new season are in:

AV Club:
Spoiler:
The second season premiere of Life Unexpected is a very solid episode of the show and an enjoyable season premiere on its own merits. It also creates a sense that the show is going to have an awful season that treads on much of what made the series enjoyable in its first season. There's every chance that creator Liz Tigelaar and her writers are savvy enough to avoid the many pits they set up for themselves to fall into in the premiere, but there are so, so many pits, and falling into any one of them could irreparably cripple the show. The series is turning its second season into a maze, where one wrong step will lead to ruin, when what made season one an enjoyable treat from time to time was how emotionally direct and earnest it was.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/life-...charted,45050/

Alan Sepinwall:
Spoiler:
"Life Unexpected" has become just another drama without an obvious TV "franchise" (cops, doctors, lawyers, etc.) that knows it needs to generate conflict but isn't quite sure how to do it in anything but loud, annoying fashion.

...Too many things happen on this show just because creator Liz Tigelaar was afraid of being boring - too many characters making dumb decisions, or withholding information, or turning up where you might least expect them to - and so it becomes impossible for me to invest in any of the characters and their stories, because I know consistency and a throughline will be sacrificed the minute Tigelaar or her CW bosses think things are getting slow.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...-two-on-the-cw
Old 09-14-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

There is also supposed to be a crossover episode with One Tree Hill later this season. Specifically Haley and Mia are going to appear on this show.
Old 09-14-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Didn't catch this last season but started watching it over the summer and fell in love with it. Really a good CW show.
Old 09-14-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
at fucking Bug coming back. God I hate that character. They need to cast a better love interest for Lux.
Totally agree.
Old 09-14-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Strange that they're going with a story line that was just on Pretty Little Liars.
Old 09-14-10, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Strange that they're going with a story line that was just on Pretty Little Liars.
Yeah, having watched PLL, the Lux/Teacher subplot doesn't feel too fresh at this point.
Old 09-15-10, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patman
Yeah, having watched PLL, the Lux/Teacher subplot doesn't feel too fresh at this point.
Lux running around saying "I screwed up" to Bug, Baze, and her Mom in practically the exact same way she did to them last season doesn't feel too fresh either.
Old 09-15-10, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed last season, but I'm worried about how long I'll last this season. I didn't care for either of the new character revelations at the end of the episode, or for the developments in Cate and Baze's lives (her fired, him losing the bar).
Old 09-15-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
True to form, the character backs Lux into a corner forcing her to do something she's not ready to do and then pouts by bugging out of town when Lux tries to explain herself out of the situation.

Otherwise, I enjoyed what was set up last night. Getting Cate fired from the radio show was an interesting twist.
Old 09-15-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Too bad they had to write out Erin Karpluk, I guess her own "Being Erica" show is still going strong in Canada.
Old 09-15-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was kind of surprised they fired Cate from her job, I wonder what her character will do now? But that should create some tension in her marriage. Speaking of which, I wonder who Julia is. They have always portrayed Ryan as such a saint, so its interesting to see him have a secret.

I checked out on Pretty Little Liars after about 3-4 episodes and I only found the teacher romance interesting, so I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out on a better show.
Old 09-15-10, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish Bug would die in a fiery motorcycle accident that starts with a comet squashing him and ends with his remains being eaten by a dog who in turn gets hit by a car and eaten by rednecks who then shit him out into a ditch.

I dunno why, I just do.

Nice Lux bra shot, needs more. Arielle Kebbel seems like a nice addition even though her being revealed as Ryan's sister was extremely predictable.
Old 09-15-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I was expecting Paige to be Julia's middle name or something when she first showed up and then slept with Baze.
Old 09-19-10, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk God

I thought it was entertaining premiere even though they recycled 90% of the crap that Lux, Cate and Baze went through last season. Cate being fired and not having the radio show will add a little different dynamic this season, so I'm interested to see how that plays out.

Please let Bug by gone for good. I wanted to shoot myself in the head when he asked Lux to marry him.

Really disappointed that they wrote out Erin Karplunk. I know Being Erica got renewed for a 3rd season in Canada, but I don't see why couldn't have done double duty once again and recur on this show every other episode. Even though Alice was married, they kind of hinted a little sexual tension between her and Jamie last season.

I'm very curious to see who Julia. I think it's possible that Ryan may have slept with someone after Cate confessed to him about sleeping with Baze last season and now the whole thing might be biting him in the ass.

Yup, the whole thing with Lux and the teacher was straight out of Pretty Little Liars. At least Shaun Sipos (David on Melrose Place) has a little better chemistry with Lux than Bug.
Old 09-19-10, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk God

BTW, I was surprised that Shiri Appleby grew her hair out like it was in the Pilot. I actually kind of liked her shorter haircut that she had through most of last season. The longer hair looked a little sloppy and unkept.