Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men -- "The Summer Man" -- 09/12/10

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Mad Men -- "The Summer Man" -- 09/12/10

I love the way this show is examining the changing role of women in the workplace. It's clear that Joan is much more aware of her situation than any of the other characters think she is, and it's also clear that she resents Peggy for being just that bit younger to break through out of the stereotypical secretary/den mother role.

On the other hand, it's becoming increasingly clear that Peggy has very little idea about how her gender affects the working environment.
Old 09-14-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see Peggy going far in that industry. I just hope she doesn't get hooked on heroin.
Old 09-14-10, 02:56 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Peggy looked pretty hot in this episode.
Old 09-14-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
When - what year - did society deem it "wrong" to drink on the job? I know that smoking in the office became a no-no on or around 1991, the year I first started working in an office.
I dont know in NYC that it is really deemed "wrong" in a number of places... My wife has worked for a number of big law firms the past few years and although its not at the level of Madmen, it happens quite frequently.
Old 09-14-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

When - what year - did society deem it "wrong" to drink on the job? I know that smoking in the office became a no-no on or around 1991, the year I first started working in an office.
When I was still living in LA, I seem to remember a studio executive suing his employer and claiming that the studio caused his alcoholism by supplying him with a mini-bar in his office. I think this was in the early to mid 80s. Unfortunately, I don't recall any specifics of the case.
Old 09-14-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Jon Hamm should take advantage and do what many other actors have done - take a chance, ask for a huge raise, or threaten to break your contract and leave the show. Larry Hagman, aka J.R. Ewing took the chance, and won; Carroll O'Conner, aka Archie Bunker took the chance, and won. I think Jon Hamm has that kind of chance, too.
Hagman and O'Connor were the iconic stars of the most popular shows on network TV. They knew how much CBS and the production companies were profiting, and could (basically) blackmail them.

Mad Men doesn't make so much money for AMC that Hamm could make some crazy demand. Right now it's reported that Hamm makes $100K per episode.
If Hamm made the demand for the kind of money Hugh Laurie earns ($400K) that could push the expenditure for Mad Men beyond its profit outlook. AMC would have to throw up their hands and declare that they can't produce the show at a loss, and Hamm would take the blame for (greedily) destroying a show that is more loved in his industry than in the general populace.
Old 09-14-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

$1.3 million a season isn't bad pay for a critically acclaimed show which will almost certainly launch his career to much higher places. Higher pay that is. I can't imagine many projects being better than Mad Men. This has slowly become one of my favorite shows ever, and I though this episode was outstanding - even if the narration was a little jarring and clunky at first.

I loved the audio and camera tricks when Don took that sip during the staff meeting. It so perfectly captured the feeling someone with a 'problem' might have after a brief hiatus from their drug of choice.

Also some great lines in this one.

I loved when Peggy exclaims, "I feel like Margerat Mead!".

Sad that Betty appears to be growing even more resentful of Don now that his life hasn't been ruined the way she wanted. Glad Henry put her in her place - but it clearly still bothers her. She is so petty.
Old 09-14-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
I loved the audio and camera tricks when Don took that sip during the staff meeting. It so perfectly captured the feeling someone with a 'problem' might have after a brief hiatus from their drug of choice.
That was really well done. I don't know if Don is a full-fledged alcoholic, but clearly he has a drinking problem and I'm glad they didn't just make it magically go away in one episode.
Old 09-15-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

After all, it wasn't really all the cheating that drove Betty over the edge, it was the lie about Don's identity.
I don't agree. Betty just wasn't happy and the "lie" about his identity was a convenient excuse. She was already infatuated with the attention she was being shown by Henry. She was bored and unhappy and left for those reasons, despite any legitimate reasons she may have had as well (e.g. Don's cheating; his previous identity).

I thought Don handled the Henry situation well. While I think the boxes on the curb pissed him off to a certain extent, he held back. It was if he knew Henry was acting out because of Betty and he had to be thinking, "You made your own bed, buddy."

I found Francine's comment about Betty's entertaining luck hilarious. And then the follow-up scene of her icing a very lopsided cake. Good thing they can afford the nanny.
Old 09-15-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems that Don is the only fella who still wears a hat to work (and in public). I thought JFK put a stop to that.

I don't notice even the older guard (Roger/Bert) wearing hats, yet the 39-year old Don does?
Old 09-15-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Hagman and O'Connor were the iconic stars of the most popular shows on network TV. They knew how much CBS and the production companies were profiting, and could (basically) blackmail them.

Yep. It's comparing apples and oranges. Plus the ratings of Dallas (particularly) and AITF in their heyday were enormous. And frankly, while I love the Draper character, there is so much else to love about Mad Men, particularly the other characters. So much that I could actually envision the show w/o Draper. Whereas Dallas and AITF could not exist w/o those iconic characters.
Old 09-15-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

It seems that Don is the only fella who still wears a hat to work (and in public). I thought JFK put a stop to that.

I don't notice even the older guard (Roger/Bert) wearing hats, yet the 39-year old Don does?
I've wondered about that too. I remember my grandfather wearing fedoras on special occasions, but even he had stopped doing that by about 1968. My own father (who is slightly younger than Don Draper) never did.

Edit: I just realized that Jon Hamm might make a great Dick Tracy if they ever revive that character for another new movie.
Old 09-15-10, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red Dog
So much that I could actually envision the show w/o Draper.
While I love most of the other characters on the show, that statement is insane.
Old 09-15-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
While I love most of the other characters on the show, that statement is insane.
Maybe on its own. Put the context back in, and it's not.
Old 09-15-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Did anyone notice one of the guys rubbing his naked butt against the outside of Joan's office window while she was speaking to what's his name who drew the cartoon? Classic!
Old 09-15-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What did you think what's-his-name-who-drew-the-cartoon was laughing at while inside Joan's thoroughfare of an office?
Old 09-15-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This was one fantastic episode. I love, love, love this show so much. I was thinking that I didn't know how they were going to come back after last week’s episode and they hit it out of the park again.

Don is back but he is bigger and better. I think he's finally becoming comfortable for the first time in a long time.

In the locker room scene, as soon as the guy sat the radio down next to Don I knew it was "(I can't get no) Satisfaction" instantly. When the volume was pumped and he walked out on the street I got goose bumps. Amazing sequence.

I was so happy to see Don show up at Gene's birthday party.
Old 09-15-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked how last week we saw Don find Roger's writings and sort of laughed at it, but in this episode he seemed inspired to start writing himself.
Old 09-15-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I want Don's sunglasses! They made a couple appearances last season as well.
Old 09-15-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Damfino
Edit: I just realized that Jon Hamm might make a great Dick Tracy if they ever revive that character for another new movie.
I picture him playing an older Superman.
Old 09-15-10, 09:22 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I picture him playing an older Superman.
http://985thesportshub.cbslocal.com/...-from-mad-men/

sorry to burst your bubble with that one
Old 09-16-10, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Yep. It's comparing apples and oranges. Plus the ratings of Dallas (particularly) and AITF in their heyday were enormous. And frankly, while I love the Draper character, there is so much else to love about Mad Men, particularly the other characters. So much that I could actually envision the show w/o Draper. Whereas Dallas and AITF could not exist w/o those iconic characters.

It's funny you should mention Mad Men w/o Draper because it seems that this season is a lot more Don-centric than the last two. The other characters don't seem to get much screen time unless they are interacting with Draper. I guess they are trying to get Hamm an emmy.
Old 09-16-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
http://985thesportshub.cbslocal.com/...-from-mad-men/

sorry to burst your bubble with that one
The only bubble this bursts for me is that Hamm doesn't live life as Don Draper. Draper would've slapped the shit out of that dude.
Old 09-17-10, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great episode but help me out....

Why was Don writing a book? Did I miss something? It seems like evertime I watch an episode, theres something that wasnt touched on previously. And to add, why was Roger doing a book and telling those stories? I dont remember anyone giving him a book deal.
Old 09-17-10, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Previously they had mentioned that a prominent, real life, ad man wrote a book about his life and career, so Roger (because he has absolutely nothing to do) is attempting to write his memoir --and he certainly does not have a book deal.

Don is writing a journal in an attempt to help him assess and straighten out his life --basically talking to himself because he would never in a million years consider opening up completely to another person.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.