Top Ten Tv Shows That Never Should Have Been Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Top Ten Tv Shows That Never Should Have Been Cancelled

Originally Posted by boc4ever
Carpoolers
I have to admit, this show started to grow on me. Having Cavemen as a lead-in helped my opinion of it, as it was much better than that show (Not saying much, I realize that).

Also, the cast was pretty good, and gelled very well, especially Jerry O'Connell, T.J. Miller, and Jerry Minor. I would totally pick up a DVD set if they ever released one.
Old 09-04-10, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i liked car poolers also.
i thought the riches was a great show. i wish they would have at least wrapped it up.
Old 09-04-10, 07:08 AM

Firefly & The Unit for me.
Old 09-04-10, 07:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A couple of comments:

Arrested Development--the show was TOO hard to follow if you didn't watch every new episode when it air regularly during its run on Fox. It didn't help that the show got bounced around several time slots, and that made it hard to find the show if you didn't have a DVR. I've seen the first two seasons on DVD and frankly, the best way to enjoy the show was to watch each season straight through, which made it a lot easier to understand the storylines that spanned several episodes.

Farscape--that show got canceled for reasons far beyond this message thread due to corporate politics at the Sci-Fi Network at the time of the end of the fourth season.
Old 09-05-10, 12:54 AM

'A Year In The Life'. Great show from the early 80s
Old 09-05-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mst3k
Old 09-05-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I loved The Unit on CBS and was disappointed that it got cancelled after 4 seasons. I think it was one of the best military action procedurals. Creatively IMO it's better than NCIS, even though I do watch that, and could have lasted longer.

Hated that the 2 reasons it got canned were:
1) The average age watching it was 55
2) CBS didn't produce it (It was actually FOX) and it's ratings on Sunday's in it's last season didn't justify a renewal since a different studio produced it.

I think I already mentioned this in a different thread (maybe a Unit thread) that Shawn Ryan said in an interview that if The Unit was produced by CBS it would have gotten renewed.

They made great strides in season 4 also adding Sam and Bridget Sullivan as characters and they were young too. 9 times out of 10, I don't look back at shows that end because it's not worth agonizing, but this show did stand out.
Old 09-05-10, 02:30 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crankyman
Mst3k
I agree but i'm not really sad anymore because the show went for an entire decade which is actually one of the triumphs of tv and makes up for Star Trek's cancellation.
Old 09-05-10, 03:12 PM

oh yeah mst3k definately. However it makes up for it that they are now doing Modern films. Drag me to hell, star trek, matrix, saw. If you havn't heard they own a site called RiffTrax. You download the audio file of them making fun of the movie and sync it with that movie, it's pretty cool and funny as always
Old 09-05-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't want to sound redundant, so I'll leave out most of the other television series already mentioned. But I would like to double-up on the mentioning of Defying Gravity, which was a criminal cancellation.
Old 09-05-10, 03:32 PM

My Name is Earl
Stacked
Get A life
Dark Angel
Old 09-05-10, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crankyman
Mst3k

They should have canceled it much sooner than they did. Mike was not funny.
Old 09-05-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At the Movies. NEVER should have been canceled. EVER.

In that regard, I would also say The Critic should never have been canceled either. That was one animated series that could have had a long and glorious life on TV. Never an end to the stories and material they could use for it.

And I am going out on a bit of a limb to also say Working should never have been canceled. The cast in that show was well near perfect pitch for a comedy and it was up there with the best of the comedies on TV at that time. It easily rivaled Newsradio for my favorite comedy from that period. I think Working had the perfect formula for a good, strong several season run.
Old 09-06-10, 09:39 AM

1. Firefly - At least we got closure in the movie, but cheesus, I still want to see into the daily lives of the crew of Serenity.
2. LUCKY - Can't believe this show hasn't been mentioned. Aired after the first season of The Shield. Had it aired its first season after S2 of The Shield, it'd still be on the air. Missed the poker explosion by *that much.*
3. Greg The Bunny - Quirky show featuring Seth Green and the outcasts of Sesame Street.
4. The Tick - The live action show was gold and everytime I see Nestor Carbonell, I still say, "I'm Batmanuel!"
5. Keen Eddie
6. Freaks and Geeks - what hasn't been said about this show at this point
7. Arrested Development - still hoping for that movie
8. Brisco County Jr. - Its Bruce Campbell, dammit.
9. Rome - This show's cancellation due to budget has left me terrified about every new show on HBO that turns out halfway decent
10. Sarah Connor Chronicles - How you can go from pulling in 8mil viewers a week on Monday nights, be thrown onto Fridays, tank, and be called a dud.
Old 09-06-10, 03:22 PM

Veronica Mars
Angel
Firefly
Prison Break
Old 09-06-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As many others said Firefly. But I kind of expected that. The last one that really pissed me off was when Max Headroom was canceled and mr belvedere showed up. What's up with that?
Old 09-06-10, 04:45 PM

Before seeing Calhoun's post, I was about to add that I was surprised nobody had mentioned The Critic. But with that said, that show should have never been canceled... especially twice by two networks. I've heard it actually did pretty well in the ratings (held a lot of The Simpsons' audience) but it had two strikes against it--was surprisingly expensive to produce and one FOX exec didn't like it.

I still quote it to this day, however few pick up on it. Although I did make a friend in college by randomly dropping a "Hachi machi!"
Old 09-06-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Scott-Pinata Show
Old 09-06-10, 05:10 PM

Well I guess I'll add on to the Firefly pile.

after that

millennium
Numb3rs
Alias
Without a Trace
Twin Peaks
Futurama - Glad it's back on.. but we will see for how long.
X-Files-- But it really ended when Ducovny left. =(
Old 09-06-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

No particular order:

Star Trek (NBC - Original)
Twin Peaks (ABC)
Arrested Development (FOX)
Nowhere Man (UPN)
Alien Nation (FOX)
Now and Again (CBS)
Firefly (FOX)
Deadwood (HBO)
The Greatest American Hero (ABC)
The Ben Stiller Show (FOX)
Old 09-06-10, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Digging for the Truth - This show was gold compared to the shit History has on now.

Twin Peaks - I was too young to watch this during it's original run (I would've been 4 when it started airing in '90), but picked up the Gold Box and really found myself drawn into the story. ABC should have greenlit season 3 to give the writers a chance to wrap up the storyline, although from the documentary on the Gold Box, it sounds like ABC had the show in the crosshairs from the start.

Brimstone - I tried watching this during it's original run, but only caught a few episodes and forgot about it until it was mentioned in this thread.

The Dead Zone - This was one of my favorite shows during it's run, although I could see it was beginning to run out of steam around season 4. I think it would have worked a lot better as a 1 season, self-contained mini-series.

Reno 911! - This could've continued, although the quality probably would have kept going downhill since the character replacements for Garcia, Clemmie, and Kimball weren't very funny.

Star Trek: TOS - I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did sine it apparently was on the verge of cancellation from the get go.

The Tonight Show W/ Conan O'Brian - I thought Conan was way funnier Leno. Because of this debacle, I can't look at Jay Leno without seeing a douche who weaseled his way back into a job he should've let go.

MST3K - As someone else said, it had a good run, but Sci-fi could have kept it going for another couple years.

Chappelle's Show - IMO one of the funniest shows Comedy Central has ever put on. If only Dave Chappelle hadn't gone crazy.

Spider-Man: The Animated Series ('90's show) - This may be a Saturday morning cartoon, but it was my favorite cartoon growing up in the '90's and I'm still pissed Fox canceled it and replaced it with that stupid Spider-Man: Unlimited.
Old 09-07-10, 12:50 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Once & Again

I believe this show was on in the late 90s or early 2000. One of the best family dramas I've ever seen. It starred Sela Ward, Billy Campbell and a very young Evan Rachel Wood. Also, director Todd Field had a supporting acting role on the show.

It lasted for 2 1/2 seasons before finally being pulled from ABC. I think it got one of those TV Guide covers "the best show you're not watching."
Old 09-07-10, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Once & Again

I believe this show was on in the late 90s or early 2000. One of the best family dramas I've ever seen. It starred Sela Ward, Billy Campbell and a very young Evan Rachel Wood. Also, director Todd Field had a supporting acting role on the show.

It lasted for 2 1/2 seasons before finally being pulled from ABC. I think it got one of those TV Guide covers "the best show you're not watching."
Agree 1 million percent. I absolutely loved this show. Sela Ward and Billy Campbell were such a perfect onscreen couple. The show actually lasted 3 seasons and at least they gave it a series finale, but it was absolutely criminal this show got cancelled. I remember watching the series finale and they had interviews in black and white of all the cast and including Edward Zwick, who co-created the show and occassionally appeared on it. It was very poignant and you could see how much everyone loved working on this show.
Old 09-07-10, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^It's also criminal that they've never released Season 3 on DVD.
Old 09-07-10, 01:16 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
^It's also criminal that they've never released Season 3 on DVD.
Yeah, I've got seasons 1 and 2 and eventually forgot about the shortened season 3 after several years.

I just checked online and the damn thing apparently never was released.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.