DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Top Ten Tv Shows That Never Should Have Been Cancelled (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/578590-top-ten-tv-shows-never-should-have-been-cancelled.html)

KaBluie 09-07-10 09:27 AM

Re: Top Ten Tv Shows That Never Should Have Been Cancelled

Hope & Gloria

BKenn01 09-07-10 08:46 PM

In no particular order here are just a few

Original Star Trek
Enterprise
Gilligan's Island
Moonlight
Sliders
Jerhico
Roswell
Firefly
One that nobody else probably cares for but The Night Stalker (original with Darren McGavin)

And I am praying "The Walking Dead" is a success next month.

CharlieK 09-07-10 09:00 PM

You think Gilligan's Island shouldn't have been cancelled?

TheKing 09-08-10 06:12 AM

The Good Guys - I sure hope I'm wrong about this one! I really can't understand why more people didn't watch this over the summer and I hope it finds an audience when it comes back with Human Target

Human Target - I sure hope I'm wrong about this one! I really can't understand why more people didn't watch this over the spring and I hope it finds an audience when it comes back with The Good Guys.

Now on to shows that have actually been canceled:

Married...With Children - Had a long run, but didn't get a real ending because FOX canceled it late in the season.

Quantum Leap - The show got a pretty vague ending due to NBC canceling the show late in the season.

Sledge Hammer - I have to put this on here, even though the creator was so certain the show would be canceled after season 1 they had a Nuclear Bomb go off. Of course then they go and get renewed, only to be canceled after Season 2.

Soap - It ended on a Cliffhanger ;)

Michael Corvin 09-08-10 06:26 AM

Human Target is coming back, the premier is on 10/1.

PenguinJoe 07-23-12 05:18 PM

After Jane Lynch left Party Down it kind of went downhill with the exception of a couple of eps in Season 2. I like Jennifer Coolidge better than Megan Mullaly honestly.

Cardiff Giant11 07-23-12 05:53 PM

four that immediately spring to mind

Twin Peaks
Carnivale
Jericho
Journeyman

mcnabb 07-23-12 09:16 PM

I remember a show 'Tru Calling' with Eliza Dusku from 2003-04, that got cancelled only 6 episodes into its second season by FOX. For anyone who watched this show, it got real good when they brought in Jason Priestly midway through the 1st season, and always thought FOX gave up on it too quick.

mortalplague 07-24-12 06:09 AM

I never watched all of tru calling but what i did watch it was quite enjoyable. Wasn't that the one with Zach Galifinakis as well? I bought the gold edition of twin peaks since everyone has stated i would like it but still have not gotten around to watching a single episode. Glad Arrested development is coming back and i know netflix is talking about jericho as well. :) probably won't happen for jericho though.

Jimmy James 09-08-12 05:17 PM

Let's bump this one for the second time in 2012... :)

1) Terriers -- Sticking this at #1 is high praise given what came behind it, but I miss this show terribly. It tickled my sensibilities perfectly.
2) Firefly -- Well covered in this thread. You can't take the sky from me.
3) The Inside -- Fox brought in Tim Minear to salvage a show that stank but I don't know maybe they contractually had to air or something. The result was really nicely done and tragically canceled.
4) Wonderfalls -- I miss Jaye and the wax lion.
5) Jericho -- I didn't know until this thread there was a book. The nature of the second season and their strong feeling the show wouldn't be back compromised it just a little bit, but there were still plenty of places to go.
6) Lucky -- This poker-themed comedy was in reality just a couple years too early for its own good. I love the scene where his girlfriend wakes up with "Loser" written on her forehead.
7) Profit -- Hey, it would have possibly kept Adrian Pasdar off of Heroes (if he had become a big star). I like to think of this as Wolfram & Hart: the early days.
8) Eyes -- Tim Daly was great in this show, and it had a real attitude I enjoyed.
9) Stark Raving Mad -- Neil Patrick Harris and Tony Shalhoub owned in this.
10) The Dana Carvey Show -- man, those were some good laughs

hdtv00 09-08-12 08:43 PM

Veronica Mars
Enterprise - they finally brought the right writers into it was getting good.
Eli Stone
Pushing Daisies
Jericho
Firefly
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Angel
Odyssey 5

Norm de Plume 09-08-12 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by whoopdido (Post 10345424)
Can anybody name shows that were actually popular and were presumably making money but were cancelled anyway?

I'm not certain, but I think Wonder Years was one of those. Its cancellation was a surprise, as I recall. That's why the final few episodes seemed rushed.

sven 09-08-12 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe (Post 11319352)
After Jane Lynch left Party Down it kind of went downhill with the exception of a couple of eps in Season 2. I like Jennifer Coolidge better than Megan Mullaly honestly.

I do not agree with any of that.

Rockmjd23 09-08-12 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by whoopdido (Post 10345424)
Can anybody name shows that were actually popular and were presumably making money but were cancelled anyway?

Friday the 13th: The Series

Mike86 09-08-12 09:50 PM

Arrested Development: Granted Fox gave it three seasons but I seem to remember they also shifted it's timeslot around quite a bit. It may have been a bit too hard for the average viewer to follow though too with all the in jokes the series had. On the plus side it's cool that it's being revived.

Bored To Death: I'm still kind of upset that HBO cancelled this one. Really good cast and it was probably one of the best comedies HBO's had in a long time in my opinion.

Also as much as I didn't like seeing it go at the time I think The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien ending was the best move for him ultimately. I think the big thing with Conan and The Tonight Show was how NBC went about getting rid of him as fast as they did without really giving his show a chance to find itself and adjust to the new timeslot. Granted his new show may not have the same viewership and all that he had on NBC, but I think overall he's able to do the show more how he wants to do it instead of being held back in ways.

hdtv00 09-09-12 02:26 AM

Oh I just remembered one that no ones said yet, this for certain would've been great. Although listed as a mini series, it should've been continued.

The Lost Room

kd5 09-09-12 07:31 AM

Invasion
Firefly
Space: Above & Beyond
Surface
Threshold
Enterprise
And yeah, Brimstone

I agree that The Lost Room should've continued, at least until they resolved issues left hanging.

They should at least allow Chris Carter & Co. to wrap up the invasion story arc in The X-Files. -kd5-

Mysteryfan 09-09-12 10:37 AM

Journeyman
Moonlight
Firefly
Angel
Drive
Jericho
Eureka
TSCC
Kidnapped
Human Target (if they went back to the original formula)

At least most of these are available on DVD (hint! hint! Journeyman)

Josh-da-man 09-09-12 01:25 PM

Angel - Yeah, the got screwed by The WB. I would have loved to see this get another season or two so it would parallel Buffy. At least Whedon got to continue the Slayerverse in comic books (albeit with varying degrees of success).

Carnivale - Great production values and a rich mythology. This makes me fear for Game of Thrones if it stops picking up Emmys. At least we'll get to see how the story ends with the novels... if GRRM can actually finish the next two books.

Deadwood - Another one that got dicked over by HBO. With only one season to go.

Firefly - This is the one that hurts the most. I'd really love to have seen where this went. There were so many things set up that were never resolved, so many directions it could have taken.

Crusade - I may be in the minority here, but I thought this Babylon 5 spin-off had a lot of potential. Unfortunately it was repeatedly dicked over by TNT until they pulled the plug before it even aired.

Farscape - Talk about being dicked over by your network. Farscape had been renewed for a fifth season by SciFi, and then got the rug pulled out from under them after ending the fourth season on a huge cliffhanger. Cold comfort that they got an underwhelming four hour miniseries to wrap everything up. Farscape wasn't my favorite show, but it had rabid fans and a certain amount of ambition that I can respect.

Caprica - Another casualty of SciFi. The first season was uneven, but began picking up in the second half. A lot of intriguing things were being set up that will never be paid off.

Twin Peaks - Really wish this could have gotten a proper ending. Unlike most of the programs on my list, this one didn't have a grand plan and, from what I've heard, they were just making it up as they went along.

And now, for one series I am happy was cancelled when it was:

Star Trek - Yes, as much as it pains me to say this, I am pleased that Star Trek was cancelled when it was and the "five year mission" was never completed. Here's why: The third season was mostly awful. The budget had been slashed, they weren't hiring good writers, and show was falling into self-parody. There's no reason to believe a fourth season would have improved, and in all likelihood it only would have gotten worse. Would anyone really want twenty-six more episodes like "Spock's Brain?" Because that's what we would have gotten.

Match 09-12-12 10:26 AM

Men at a Certain Age
Firefly
FlashForward (Needed a ending to wrap up the show)
Jericho
The Event (Needed a ending to wrap up the show)
The Invisible Man (Vincent Ventresca, Paul Ben-Victor)
The FInder (I enjoyed the show, but without Michael Clarke Duncan. It won't be the same.)
Sliders (if Jerry O'Connell stayed on)
Knight Rider (2008. Not the greatest when it started, but it was better toward the end after the did the 2nd reboot.)

creekdipper 09-12-12 07:47 PM

Cop Rock
The Dakotas
Carnivale
Deadwood (especially since it was slated to wrap up in Season 4)
Jericho (the 60's WWII espionage show, not the post-nuclear recent offering)
Hung
Space: Above & Beyond
The Outcasts
Crusoe
Frank's Place