Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Burn Notice -- Summer Finale -- "Guilty as Charged" -- 08/26/10

Burn Notice

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Michael tries to find a kidnapped girl who was taken by a client of her defense-attorney father's.

Episode 12 of 18

Summer Finale....The show returns November 11th.

Promo for tonight:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksVx2osIm44?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksVx2osIm44?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 08-26-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: Burn Notice -- Summer Finale -- "Guilty as Charged" -- 08/26/10

I still think that Jesse can't act upon his threat of killing the person responsible for his burn, because there is more at stake with finding out about Barrett and he'll need Michael either as a pawn or an ally.

Can't wait...!
Old 08-26-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a little surprised that
Spoiler:
Barrett was killed off so quickly. I figured he'd be the arc for the rest of the season.

Always good to see HENRY.
Old 08-26-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how Fi and Sam forgot they were suppose to be covering Micheal at the exchange and instead decided to act like a booth team with some play by play and color commentary.
Old 08-27-10, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to see Burn Notice crib from the third sequel in the Die Hard franchise.

Aw, well, it kept my interest this summer. Thank goodness for that. I'll certainly keep watching, even if I hope some of the writing laziness we have seen the past few episodes doesn't become more of a trend.
Old 08-27-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I'm glad they addressed the guy potentially coming back after the lawyer. I thought Michael was just going to drop her off w/o mentioning the possibility that the dude will be even more pissed and come after them again.

I like how Fi and Sam forgot they were suppose to be covering Micheal at the exchange and instead decided to act like a booth team with some play by play and color commentary.
I found that to be a

Anyhow, a mostly fun half-season.
Old 08-27-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

So who picked up the briefcase?
Will Jesse be back? That was a heck of a shot from long range, to shoot through a guy and not hit anything vital on Michael, better than Chloe's shot on Jack in 24 I think.
Old 08-27-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I thought this episode sucked. There is just no danger in how the episode ended. We all know Michael will live and the mystery of who took the briefcase, I am sure will just keep the main plot (which is really boring at this point) going. Not really much of a surprise.

This show is starting to lose a little steam at this point. But it still beats most of the other stuff on in the summer, so I am still on board.
Old 08-27-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

yeah, who did take the briefcase? Jesse? Someone else like Vaughn?
Old 08-27-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
yeah, who did take the briefcase? Jesse? Someone else like Vaughn?
Someone further up the never-ending Burn Notice food chain, no doubt.
Old 08-27-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I found that to be a
I figure they were supposed to cover Michael, but that Jesse took the shot first. Michael would have given them some sort of signal if he needed it. My question is how did Jesse get there without being spotted?

I like how they can have a throw away line about Barry in this episode, but not in the last? C'mon, man...
Old 08-27-10, 12:49 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I found that to be a
That pretty much describes that whole final scene.

Jesse and Vaughn with his crew popping up out of nowhere.

I liked Sam and Fi trying to stay hidden while wearing black in the middle of the day while standing partly behind a white concrete slab that only covers them from the front.
Old 08-27-10, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was hoping they would go more into the story arc - it seemed very rushed and sloppy. It would have been nice to have gotten rid of the case of the week (or made it a more simple case which didn't require much time), so they could have setup the last scene a bit better.

The supervillain who spends $20,000+ on security for a one night or couple night stay, couldn't control the meet and ends up driving out in an SUV with no support? (and on a side note - apparently no functioning airbags?) I thought they had the arc setup well, but the stuff with Jesse fiizzled and the trio of the corporation, Vaughn and Michael now appears to be heading back to a Michael / Vaughn story. If Patrick's character is dead, it seems like a waste to use him for that role.
Old 08-27-10, 05:30 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I officially gave up on this show about 6 episodes ago, but will likely be checking into these threads to see if any major character development happened.
Old 08-27-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Thought the ep. was solid, but flawed. Glad we only have to wait until November.
Old 08-28-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I like how they can have a throw away line about Barry in this episode, but not in the last? C'mon, man...
I watched a rerun of the last episode and there was a throw away line about Barry. Sam mentions Barry when they find out about where the con man keeps his money. It was one sentence and I don't remember it but the gist was that Barry explained how the guy used the lawyer (or whatever he was) to keep his money separate from his cons.

Originally Posted by wirefan
If Patrick's character is dead, it seems like a waste to use him for that role.
It is a waste but not worse than Michael Ironside in one scene of the first episode of this half-season. That was just terrible.
Old 08-28-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I watched a rerun of the last episode and there was a throw away line about Barry. Sam mentions Barry when they find out about where the con man keeps his money. It was one sentence and I don't remember it but the gist was that Barry explained how the guy used the lawyer (or whatever he was) to keep his money separate from his cons.
Yeah, I usually watch the episodes late so by the time I read the thread I didn't feel like bumping it, but they had a comment that Barry said they used hundreds of accounts and they couldn't tell where the money was.
Old 09-08-10, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I was behind on this show and just caught up. It took me a while to get into the season because I was frustrated that the plot was just another change in the larger plot thread with no real traction. However, once Jesse got settled and the cases ramped up it was pretty fun to watch.

I don't know what happened, but the last 2-3 episodes really fell flat. This is exactly what I was affraid of when I heard seasons 5 and 6 were already announced. Either they're playing this out to pad 2 more seasons and/or they don't know what they're doing. Either way it's a little frustrating.

I agree with those that said Michael isn't dead. I guess Robert Patrick's character is dead (another shameful waste of talent on this show). =/ I don't think Vaughn's is the one who picked up the suitcase. I also thought Jesse was on the island with Sam and Fi so I didn't get the impression that he took it. Also, even with all of the talk about Robert Patrick's character starting wars, etc. I began to get the feeling that he wasn't the bad guy in all of this. We still don't know who or what Management/Vaughn's character plays in all of this. Are they a shadow government? Are they private parties like Robert Patrick's communication company? It would be curious if they are similar to Quantum in the most recent James Bond films.
Old 09-08-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Originally Posted by wirefan
If Patrick's character is dead, it seems like a waste to use him for that role.
It is a waste but not worse than Michael Ironside in one scene of the first episode of this half-season. That was just terrible.
Or John Mahoney who played "Management" in only two episodes...
Old 09-08-10, 08:42 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Or John Mahoney who played "Management" in only two episodes...
John Mahoney looked like he was on death's doorstep....
Old 09-14-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

I would say that I really enjoy Burn Notice, but I just now got around to watching this finale --so what does that tell you?

All season long Maddie and Fi kept throwing in mentions of how upset they were about Jesse's situation, but I never gave a damn, and I pin that on the show. They didn't develop Jesse enough as a individual character [he was more like another tool in Michael's box of tricks] for his drama to matter. So when he turned around on the team, I didn't care because I know he won't kill Michael and I don't care if Jesse lives or dies.

As long as BN is on when the networks are off, I guess I'll tune in. But I wish Matt Nix could come up with some way to mix things up and for BN to get it's mojo back.