DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Torchwood Series 4 - (News, Rumors, Discussion) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/577659-torchwood-series-4-news-rumors-discussion.html)

Superman07 08-07-10 08:29 AM

Torchwood Series 4 - (News, Rumors, Discussion)

For those following the long development of series 4 some new news has come out about the writing staff. Sounds like a solid mix and has me looking forward to where the show will go. I'm especially glad to see part of the CoE team back. Also, filming begins in January.

Torchwood Writing Staff Announced:
John Shiban
John Shiban is an Emmy Award nominated American television writer and producer. He has worked on The X-Files and its spin-off The Lone Gunmen, Smallville, Legend of the Seeker and Breaking Bad.

Doris Egan
Doris Egan is an American screenwriter, producer, and writer. She has worked on Smallville, Dark Angel, and House.

Jane Espenson
Jane Espenson is an American television writer and producer who has worked on both situation comedies and serial dramas. She is perhaps best known for her five-year stint as a writer and producer on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, work for which she shared in a Hugo Award, and as showrunner for Caprica.

John Fay
John Fay is a British television writer who wrote two episodes of Torchwood, Children of Earth. His work includes episodes of Clocking Off, Blue Murder and Robin Hood. Fay spent several years on the writing staff of Coronation Street, and created the three-part ITV drama series Mobile.

DGibFen 12-14-10 12:15 AM

Re: Torchwood Series 4 - (News, Rumors, Discussion)

New cast member announced (it's not Chad Michael Murray :banana:):

Spoiler:
Mekhi Phifer is set to star opposite John Barrowman and Eve Myles in the upcoming fourth season of sci-fi drama Torchwood, which Starz is co-producing with the BBC for a run on both networks. Phifer joins original Torchwood stars Barrowman, who plays time agent/con man Captain Jack Harkness, and Myles, who plays ex-police officer Gwen Cooper. The Lie to Me alum will play the third lead, Rex Matheson, a CIA agent, a fast-tracked high-flyer with a lethal sense of humor who starts to feel his mortality when his life is put in danger.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/mekh...-on-torchwood/

Superman07 12-14-10 06:40 AM

Interesting. I'm not against Murray, but I wonder if he would have come off like a S1 Owen.

I believe they start filming in January?

I wonder if Netflix will have immediate access due to their deal with Starz.

RichC2 12-15-10 03:49 PM

Mekhi Phifer and Bill Pullman have joined the cast as well.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/mekh...-on-torchwood/

http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/bill...od-as-regular/

Superman07 12-15-10 08:11 PM

Might want to have checked DG's post first. ;)

RichC2 12-15-10 11:19 PM

I added the Mekhi Phifer bit after doing a search on this page :lol:

Regardless, Bill Pullman

DGibFen 01-14-11 07:53 PM

Six Feet Under fans will be pleased:

Six Feet Under star Lauren Ambrose is joining Starz’ highly-anticipated global edition of Torchwood.

Ambrose will appear in seven of the 10 episodes of the drama’s upcoming season, playing Jilly Kitzinger — “a sweet-talking PR genius with a heart of stone who’s just cornered the most important client of her career … and maybe of all time.”
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/13/la...ood-exclusive/

joe_b 01-14-11 11:42 PM

Cool, I love Lauren Ambrose. They are putting together a great line-up for this season - and Jane Espensen is a fabulous writer who will no doubt bring great things to the show.

I've only watched the first 5 episodes of Torchwood, so maybe by the time I finish with Children of Earth Starz will be ready to air this.

Superman07 01-15-11 07:19 AM

It airs this July, so that should be plenty of time. They started filming this week.

CreamyGoodness 01-15-11 11:35 AM

It's going to be on Starz....? Ouch!

Oh well..... :(

riley_dude 01-15-11 04:49 PM

Good news. I love Lauren.

Orbi-Wan Techno 01-15-11 04:59 PM

I'll get it off iTunes or Amazon. Loved COE, watched the whole thing through.three times.

CreamyGoodness 02-01-11 12:34 PM

Since Dish Network subscribers just got a full year of Starz free it looks like I'm in. Bazinga!

rfduncan 02-01-11 03:41 PM

So I'm guessing that this is NOT a reboot/Americanized version then. This will sort of pick up where we left at the end of CoE with only Gwen and Jack remaining as the surviving Torchwood staff? That would be very cool. I figured the show was seriously done after CoE so picking up where they left off adding new staff would be very cool. I would especially hope they return to Captain John Hart's storyline which was most than left hanging! I'd also like it if Harkness did another WHO cross-over at some point. I always enjoy his alternate personality when he's with the Doctor.

aynrandgirl 02-02-11 12:51 AM

Lauren Ambrose was totally cute on Six Feet Under. I wonder why we haven't seen more of her.

rfduncan 02-02-11 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl (Post 10619047)
Lauren Ambrose was totally cute on Six Feet Under. I wonder why we haven't seen more of her.

Licking her wounds after The Return of Jezebel James? ;)

Superman07 02-02-11 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan (Post 10618451)
So I'm guessing that this is NOT a reboot/Americanized version then. This will sort of pick up where we left at the end of CoE with only Gwen and Jack remaining as the surviving Torchwood staff? That would be very cool. I figured the show was seriously done after CoE so picking up where they left off adding new staff would be very cool. I would especially hope they return to Captain John Hart's storyline which was most than left hanging! I'd also like it if Harkness did another WHO cross-over at some point. I always enjoy his alternate personality when he's with the Doctor.

No, it's not a reboot. My rough understanding of the plot - or at least how the story gets started - is that the American CIA agent starts investigating a case and it leads him to uncover what was/is Torchwood. I guess that then leads him to Gwen and somehow Jack, even though Jack was last seen off at some unknown bar.

Superman07 03-24-11 08:33 AM

http://www.starz.com/SiteCollectionI...%20marquee.jpg

rfduncan 03-24-11 12:35 PM

As much as I want to see this, I will wait for the home video release. I'm NOT paying $13 to get Starz just for one show.
(I barely can justify HBO now that Entourage and Big Love are done. If Game of Thrones doesn't intrigue me, it's going after the next True Blood.)

Groucho 03-24-11 12:37 PM

Netflix streaming typically has all the new Starz shows. Not sure if that will be the case here, but it could be the case...

rfduncan 03-24-11 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10693435)
Netflix streaming typically has all the new Starz shows. Not sure if that will be the case here, but it could be the case...

Good to know! Thanks for the tip, Groucho!

DJariya 03-24-11 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10693435)

Starz just announced this afternoon that there will be a 90 day delay for their original shows being posted. It will begin with the premiere of Camelot next week.

:lol: If that's the case, you won't be able to watch episode 1 of Torchwood on Netflix until October!! Plus, Starz's deal with Netflix expires at the end of 2011. We may not get complete streaming seasons for either show.

Groucho 03-24-11 08:29 PM

Here is a full list of things that Starz/Netflix can suck:

1. It

RocShemp 03-24-11 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10694053)

1. It

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/im...se-howling.jpg

rfduncan 03-25-11 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10694053)

1. It

rotfl

(seriously, I'm having trouble breathing I'm laughing so hard!)