DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   the office (uk) vs. extras (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/577482-office-uk-vs-extras.html)

chino77 08-03-10 06:28 PM

the office (uk) vs. extras

after just recently watching both series back to back i wondered what show people here preferred. personally i didnt like the office really at all. it had its moments but i just wasnt very good or funny to me. extras on the other hand was great. i absolutely loved it and found it hilarious.

i have a feeling i will be in the minority with this. since i see the office praised regularly but never see extras mentioned.

fiver 08-03-10 07:28 PM

Re: the office (uk) vs. extras

Haven't seen Extras yet, but I did find for me that The Office took a couple viewings before I started to find it funny. Also seeing the whole series and the XMas special helped because there was more going on than just a comedy and the acting was top notch.

Now my wife liked the show right away although she finds it too uncomfortable to actually watch again whereas I pull it out pretty often to rewatch.

I do want to see Extras though - perhaps this thread will inspire me to do so :)

Michael

NORML54601 08-03-10 07:45 PM

Both are awesome shows. I'm going with Extras because of all the great guest appearances they had and the performance they got from those actors. Daniel Radcliffe and Patrick Stewart being my favorites.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fg_cwI1Xj4M&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fg_cwI1Xj4M&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

wendersfan 08-03-10 07:53 PM

I only saw a few episodes of Extras but I didn't care for it much. The Office is one of the finest sitcoms in history.

chino77 08-03-10 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan (Post 10302938)
The Office is one of the finest sitcoms in history.

i really dont see that. i just didnt find it very funny. i kept watching and at times it was just depressing.

NORML54601 08-03-10 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by chino77 (Post 10302980)
i really dont see that. i just didnt find it very funny. i kept watching and at times it was just depressing.

The UK version is a lot darker then the US version. While Michael Scott is a boob, David Brent really is kind of a dick. It's meant to be somewhat depressing, especially if you imagine working at Wernham Hogg. It's only 12 episodes and 1 special. The series is worth watching, if for no other reason, for the closure you get with the X-mas special which is one of the finest hour and a halves of TV ever produced.

Jack Straw 08-03-10 09:03 PM

Definitely Extras. There's just so many great LOL cringe-worthy moments. The David Bowie cameo comes to mind. Also, the series finale went out on a great note!

starman9000 08-03-10 09:43 PM

Love both, but The Office was perfect.

Greg. 08-03-10 10:58 PM

Yeah, The Office is pretty much my favorite TV show ever.

Merkin Muffley 08-03-10 11:22 PM

That Patrick Stewart scene may be one of my favorite comedy bit of all time. It's perfect in every way.

dan30oly 08-03-10 11:40 PM

Extras due to Steven Merchant being included.

James Lafleur 08-04-10 12:13 AM

Are you having a laugh? Extras, all the way. The Office is great, but Extras is brilliant.

Mr. Salty 08-04-10 02:10 AM

I love "The Office" (more so on the second and subsequent viewings), but "Extras" is my favorite. In addition to all the cameos, I really liked Andy's character arc as it played out through the series.

DeputyDave 08-04-10 04:04 AM

Extras by a small bit. But what do I know? I like the US version of the Office better.

eisenreich 08-04-10 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave (Post 10303406)
Extras by a small bit. But what do I know? I like the US version of the Office better.

Not sure in your case, but with everyone else I've ever talked to about the US/UK issue, whichever show they watched first is the one they like best. Certainly holds for me (UK).

orangecrush 08-04-10 09:27 AM

I think Extras is by far the more funny show. But, I too like the US version of the Office better than the UK version (I saw the UK version first).

MrSmearkase 08-04-10 10:26 AM

Extras was hilarious, but The Office offered more characters to play off of, and for the viewer to identify with, therefore I consider The Office the better program.

conscience 08-04-10 10:36 AM

Extras is hilarious, but The Office holds a special place in my heart.

Gunde 08-04-10 10:43 AM

Unfortunately I first saw The Office after everyone had been calling it 'the best thing EVER!' for years. It didn't live up to the hype, even though I definitely liked it.

Extras however is brilliant.

CreamyGoodness 08-04-10 11:02 AM

Such a hard choice. Both are brilliant. I had to go with The Office.

To me, this moment was simply incredible...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FfjZ3NKt2o0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FfjZ3NKt2o0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

To see a character completely stripped of all the bullshit and at the end of his rope, desperately begging for his job.

Plus the end of the Christmas Special that had one of the sweetest and most satisfying endings of any TV show.

GoVegan 08-04-10 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by dan30oly (Post 10303267)
Extras due to Steven Merchant being included.

The Ogg-Monster?

I'm torn. I love both the shows, but for different reasons. I was going to say that I felt more emotionally attached to some of the characters from the Office, but Andy's reality show speech in the Extras special got to me, too.

JuryDuty 08-04-10 11:10 AM

I have to stick with The Office as it's pretty much perfect (except for some of the moments out of the office, which dragged a bit, or were a bit too crude).

The moments in Extras with Steven Merchant and Gervais together were brilliant though. But still, Office wins me over.

shizawn 08-04-10 11:36 AM

I loved The Office right from the start; I had to warm up a bit to Extras. Both are great though, but I enjoyed The Office more.

Rizor 08-04-10 11:59 AM

The Office for me.

Gervais and Merchant are still atoning for that pretentious piece of turd they call the "Extras" special in my eyes.

Bill Needle 08-04-10 05:25 PM

I'll go with The Office overall, but the scene with David Bowie in Extras was one of the funniest things I have ever seen on television.