Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Original Series fans, how do you feel about the remasters?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Star Trek remasters and enhanced effects>
I love them and prefer them to the original effects.
29.03%
I like them, but still don't mind the original versions.
58.06%
I don't care for them, I'd rather stick with the original versions.
9.68%
I hate them, they should have never tinkered with the effects in the first place.
3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I haven't really heard any backlash over the remasters of the original series with the enhanced effects. Frankly, I think the effects are well done and don't really detract from the show, like similar tinkering on the Star Wars films did.

The only downside is Season One is a HD-DVD/DVD hybrid and the original editions are now OOP.
Old 08-01-10, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Original Series fans, how do you feel about the remasters?

For a lot of people I'm sure that the new effects will be treated like colorization or remixing a mono soundtrack into 5.1 stereo, but I've seen the show so many times over the years that I never even bothered to buy it on DVD, but with the new effects and restorations, watching Star Trek on Blu-ray is a whole new experience.
Old 08-01-10, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
...The only downside is Season One is a HD-DVD/DVD hybrid and the original editions are now OOP.
The original editions are available on Blu Ray. You can choose to watch them with either the original or new effects.

My OCD doesn't help me with these. I've made it through about half of Season 1. As a kid I saw a few of them, but not enough to remember the effects with any detail, so the shows are mostly new to me anyway, but because I'm so crazed in the head, as I watch each episode I switch back and forth between the new and old effects EVERY time an effect happens. Makes it take twice as long to watch an episode and drives me crazy.

I have to say I prefer the shows in their original form. Yes, the new effects are technically better and even prettier, but I find them very distracting. They did a good job of trying to make the effects fit the style of the show, but it's still so obvious that they're CGI that it's jarring in a show produced in the 60's. Maybe young kids with no sense of how film and TV looked in different eras might not notice, but to me it sticks out and is not beneficial to the story.
Old 08-01-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I haven't really heard any backlash over the remasters of the original series with the enhanced effects. Frankly, I think the effects are well done and don't really detract from the show, like similar tinkering on the Star Wars films did.
The difference between the two is Star Trek simply redid the Special Effects without changing the content. But Star Wars actually changed the content along with redoing the Special Effects. And it's the content changes (ex. adding puerile humor, Han not shooting first, etc.) that makes the fans upset, not the generally improved Special Effects.

(Heck, when Lucasfilm first cleaned up the Special Effects years earlier and removed the square boxes that moved along with the ships, everyone liked it because it changed the FX only and not the content.)
Old 08-01-10, 09:44 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I love the updated CGI, it really stays true to the original show and doesnt stick out like a sore thumb. I also love how the blu ray gives you the option to watch with or without the new content. Top notch all around.
Old 08-01-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am for "I like them, but really don't miss the original versions." I don't really mind them but I don't feel like it was childhood raping or anything like that like the gratuitous changes Lucas made to the Star Wars films.
Old 08-01-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I prefer the originals but the updated effects don't pull me out of the show.
Old 08-01-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

From the ones I saw on tv, I thought it was pretty cool.
Old 08-01-10, 01:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think they're well done and are respectful. I usually watch the redone versions, but since the Blu-ray offers both, we're not losing anything.
Old 08-01-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Ive got both. Havent watched the new effects yet. Only ever seen them with the old effects.
Old 08-01-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think everything is great but the ship is off.
Old 08-01-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I've seen a couple of episodes with the upgraded effects. If you ask me, part of the charm of the show involved the production value. I think for that reason, we need to keep around the original product even more than with Star Wars. With that said, what I have seen looked pretty well done and not so blaringly good that it mixes poorly with 60s television production. I think they did a good overall job, and I'm glad to see above that apparently the BD set lets you see the episodes either way.
Old 08-01-10, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk God

There was charm, but when someone looks out the K-9 space station and sees the Enterprise totally still, I think an upgrade is warranted (and acceptable) if one can do it

The beauty is that I have the orignials on DVD. If I feel like double-dipping on BR, I have that option.
Old 08-02-10, 08:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Despite Star Trek being perhaps my favorite series, I still haven't watched a single remastered episode. Not biased against them, plan to enjoy them, just haven't gotten around to buying the season 2 & 3 BDs yet.
Old 08-02-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They did a good job with them, much like the updated effects in The Motion Picture.
Old 08-02-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I like them. A lot of the old effects shots look awful in HD, and the remastering team stayed very true to the original effects.

This isn't a Lucas situation at all.
Old 08-02-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As others have mentioned, the discs have both versions, which is why you haven't heard any backlash. I've seen the new versions, but I prefer the originals.
Old 08-02-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I like both, but the remastered are a bit better
Old 08-03-10, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I don't really have a preference but I appreciate the fact that both were included. It's the latter point that makes all the difference.
Old 08-03-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I haven't really heard any backlash over the remasters of the original series with the enhanced effects.
You obviously weren't around when they first started airing. And the topic still gets a bit of mileage on dedicated Trek forums.

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet

This isn't a Lucas situation at all.
I went to a Star Trek convention a few months before they started airing, and one of the speakers was the guy in charge of the production of the project ( I always forget his name). And I kid you not, the first thing out of his mouth when he took the stage (after the usual "Hi, my name is so-and-so...") was "This is not a Greedo shoots first sort of thing at all." He won over a lot of the crowd right then and there.

Personally, I like them more than I probably should. I've always loved movies and shows with practical FX work. The more wires and wobbly bits showing, the better. But I love these new FX, esp when they actually do a tweak to the story structure (like the Vulcan backgrounds in "Amok Time").

I went to all the trouble of collecting the original DVD releases of TOS (the orange case, two eps per disc ones), so it's going to take a really good price break on the Bluray sets to get me to upgrade (but I do want to eventually).
Old 08-03-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah - Amok Time looked great.
Old 08-03-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I like the remastered episodes for the most part and think they look good, but every now and again its nice to be able to see the originals too. It really does help I agree that they included both versions on the Blu-ray. George Lucas could really learn something from these releases its not that hard to give people two options with today's technology.
Old 08-03-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I love the updated CGI, it really stays true to the original show and doesnt stick out like a sore thumb. I also love how the blu ray gives you the option to watch with or without the new content. Top notch all around.
My sentiments exactly.