DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   "South Park" Deconstructed (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/576994-south-park-deconstructed.html)

PatD 07-25-10 01:21 AM

"South Park" Deconstructed

1. Take a current events topic, (unless it's too complex for the audience, then just take on a current fad).

2. Take a popular element of contemporary popular culture and skewer them/it beyond what a decent person would do (unless it's in an episode condemning said practice, then just lace it with IRONY---a 90's humorist's best friend).

3. Mix in a heaping helping of Libertarian Hipster Posturing [TM] that pretty much favors the right side of the isle, but is able to deflect criticism from much of the gullible left a.k.a. college students.

4. Slam hippies and environmentalists at least once every 5 minutes--since they obviously run the whole world and it's nothing's funnier than taking down "The Man".

5. Add in one tongue-in-cheek lesson learned about how we should all meet half-way if we're to get along--that is, if it favors Trey and Matt's ever-changing-at-their-whim agenda.

6. Fill it with enough self righteous finger wagging jism to fill the Grand Canyon (hey, screw you hippies!) as Trey and Matt once again spoon feed the audience What They Feel Superior To This Week [TM].

7. And finally develop one to two
ACTUAL jokes (if you have enough for the whole season) and repeat them indefinitely from after the opening sequence until the credits roll.

[NOTE: Please don't tell anyone that I broke into "South Park" Studios, stole, and posted this top secret inside info! I don't want to be another statistic like Isaac Hayes!]

Further note: that I wrote this for all those who have heard the clarion call to slam "South Park" for the good of humankind, so...feel free to circulate the above.

Oh, and in the unlikely event that Trey Parker and Matt Stone are reading this: would you two gentlemen PLEASE consider developing *and* dying from pancreatic cancer for the sake of your betters, otherwise known as the rest of humanity. Thank you for your time.

dsa_shea 07-25-10 01:29 AM

Re: "South Park" Deconstructed

South Park>>>>>>most of the other boring shit on tv.

ChrisHicks 07-25-10 04:18 AM

So when will the Family Guy topic appear?

Navinabob 07-25-10 04:34 AM

Wow...

1. Take a current events topic, (unless it's too complex for the audience, then just take on a current fad). Hmm... make a show actually be relevant to topics currently happening? What a crappy idea.

2. Take a popular element of contemporary popular culture and skewer them/it beyond what a decent person would do (unless it's in an episode condemning said practice, then just lace it with IRONY---a 90's humorist's best friend). You do know that's called comedy right? You have seen stand-up before? Ah... decent. That's the clue. Perhaps the better question is "What would Jesus animate?

3. Mix in a heaping helping of Libertarian Hipster Posturing [TM] that pretty much favors the right side of the isle, but is able to deflect criticism from much of the gullible left a.k.a. college students. While they are not as libertarian as Penn & Teller, they still tread much lighter politically then lets say a "fair and balanced" FOX news network. And who said they can't toss in their own thoughts on society? They are not news; they produce a cartoon! Plus, I love how you toss in being college educated makes you "gullible" as opposed to smarter and more successful.

4. Slam hippies and environmentalists at least once every 5 minutes--since they obviously run the whole world and it's nothing's funnier than taking down "The Man". The person slamming hippies is and environmentalists is Cartman; a character who is portrayed as an ignorant buffoon. What person would identify themselves through his ranting? And people like Richard Dawkins is a personal hero to them and they had no trouble making fun of him for an entire season. Wait... unless reverse phycology is also part of their master plan!!!

5. Add in one tongue-in-cheek lesson learned about how we should all meet half-way if we're to get along--that is, if it favors Trey and Matt's ever-changing-at-their-whim agenda. If you don;t agree, don't watch. I love the fact that they lampoon Scientology, child molesting priests and John Edwards; they deserve any and all criticism they get. Unless you of course approve those things? Makes no sense.

6. Fill it with enough self righteous finger wagging jism to fill the Grand Canyon (hey, screw you hippies!) as Trey and Matt once again spoon feed the audience What They Feel Superior To This Week [TM]. What's with the "TM" stuff? You gonna make this a syndicated column? They have no duty to show both sides of a story, nor is there a duty to be kind to ideas or people that are inherently wrong or stupid. “Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions.” -- Thomas Jefferson

7. And finally develop one to two
ACTUAL jokes (if you have enough for the whole season) and repeat them indefinitely from after the opening sequence until the credits roll. I like my humor based cartoons to have jokes in them... often repetition is a valuable tool in comedy writing. While their style may not be everyone's cup of tea, I'd think them being still relatively strong after a decade of them being on the air sorta make's one think that a lot of people find them funny.

[NOTE: Please don't tell anyone that I broke into "South Park" Studios, stole, and posted this top secret inside info! I don't want to be another statistic like Isaac Hayes!] No worries there. I don't think many people will find these insights the product of any insider knowledge

Further note: that I wrote this for all those who have heard the clarion call to slam "South Park" for the good of humankind, so...feel free to circulate the above. Yeah, I'm sure they'll be riots in your name

Oh, and in the unlikely event that Trey Parker and Matt Stone are reading this: would you two gentlemen PLEASE consider developing *and* dying from pancreatic cancer for the sake of your betters, otherwise known as the rest of humanity. Thank you for your time. Wow... mighty decent of you to say that. I'm sure those who have lost loved ones to that hideous form of cancer think it is pretty cool of you to toss that around. Anyone else get that this might be a thinly veiled "red state versus blue state" [TM] sorta thing with you? What's the deal with multiple replies about how much you hate this show on other threads? Is someone forcing you to keep watching it?

Gunde 07-25-10 05:43 AM

Man, you sure have a lot of anger over a silly tv show. How about just changing the channel?
Are you trying to control what the rest of us should watch and enjoy. What kind of douchebag does that?

TheBigDave 07-25-10 05:55 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that South park is the only show that is truly an "equal opportunity offender". Every other comedy show seems to have an ideological bent. South Park doesn't play favorites.

But even if South Park "favors the right side of the isle", then so what? God forbid there should be one freaking comedy show on TV that doesn't pander to the Loony Left Moonbat Brigade.

Howie2000 07-25-10 06:03 AM

Even though South Park is hit or miss the last 5-6 years the best thing about it is you kinda know 5 minutes into it if it's gonna be the occasional stinker episode and you can just skip it.

PatD 07-25-10 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gunde (Post 10285565)
Man, you sure have a lot of anger over a silly tv show. How about just changing the channel?
Are you trying to control what the rest of us should watch and enjoy. What kind of douchebag does that?

Ah, but if I never watched "South Park", I'd be chided for attacking something I had no knowledge of. But, since I'm familiar with said drivel, I'm chided for watching something I don't like. That's a handy Catch-22.

And where did I say that you can't watch "South Park"? I'm not petitioning for it's cancellation. I'm just flipping it much overdue, and much deserved shit. And if Trey and Matt are just as thin skinned about criticism as the average "SP" fan is, and have their what-passes-for-their-feelings hurt (hopefully badly), then my original posting was not in vain.

Trevor 07-25-10 06:48 AM

OP, your points may be true, but so? Nothing is at all wrong with any of those 7 steps. So what's your point? Why wish them death over comedy?

huh? 07-25-10 07:37 AM

Wow dude. Change the channel. Move on. Watch the 700 club or something.

Trout 07-25-10 08:11 AM

South Park tends to attack both the left and the right. The Simpson's on the other hand tends to be far left and anti-right (Family guy too).

BTW...just keep repeating: "it's only a TV show..."

CreamyGoodness 07-25-10 11:04 AM

No idea what the OP is saying, so might as well wish you all a shpadoinkle day...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/0CizU8aB3c8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/0CizU8aB3c8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Tscott 07-25-10 11:08 AM

Do you like fishsticks?

Mazje 07-25-10 11:35 AM

Whew! Was just getting ready to sit down and do an uninterrupted viewing of all 13 seasons! Thanks for the warning! I'm going to spend that time circulating this post instead! Humanity thanks you!

anomynous 07-25-10 11:48 AM

Seth Macfarlane?

sven 07-25-10 11:49 AM

I declare Shenanigans!

scorpion 07-25-10 11:52 AM

Thank you for your input....-rolleyes-

Blu Man 07-25-10 11:52 AM

Like previous members have stated, South Park does not choose one political or ethical view and attack all opposing sides. It equally offends and targets everybody. If you want one sided political propaganda watch The Simpsons or at times even Family Guy. Trey and Matt have never made their political/religious views apparent with South Park, and I doubt they ever will. Whether you choose to like South Park or not is your right, but wishing death upon the creators of a comedy cartoon is absurd and shows your lack of humor and maturity.

PatD 07-25-10 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Blu Man (Post 10285903)
Like previous members have stated, South Park does not choose one political or ethical view and attack all opposing sides. It equally offends and targets everybody. If you want one sided political propaganda watch The Simpsons or at times even Family Guy. Trey and Matt have never made their political/religious views apparent with South Park, and I doubt they ever will. Whether you choose to like South Park or not is your right, but wishing death upon the creators of a comedy cartoon is absurd and shows your lack of humor and maturity.

It should be clear that there's been nothing and I mean NOTHING that I've said in this thread that has been any more absurd, immature, and cruel than the less-than-dynamic duo have said--and you all know it.

rocketsauce 07-25-10 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by PatD (Post 10285935)
It should be clear that there's been nothing and I mean NOTHING that I've said in this thread that has been any more absurd, immature, and cruel than the less-than-dynamic duo have said--and you all know it.

Your ignorance is borderline amazing

anomynous 07-25-10 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by PatD (Post 10285935)

http://images.theage.com.au/ftage/ff...b__300x300.jpg

Drav3n 07-25-10 01:01 PM

Hmmm... so I'm guessing the OP is either a disgruntled scientologist, an offended muslim, Kanye West, or Al Gore. :lol:

van der graaf 07-25-10 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by rocketsauce (Post 10285967)
Your ignorance is borderline amazing

Wow. When you have this guy calling you ignorant you must be pretty slow. But, yes, you are pretty clueless about South Park. Please tell us how they promote "rightist" or "conservative" views on issues of sexuality, gender, race, etc. If anything, the SP episodes on such matters for the most part fall into a perspective that is often attributed to the "leftist" or "liberal" camp.

Gizmo 07-25-10 01:16 PM

http://seoblackhat.com/upimage/tinfoilhat.jpg

Someone needs to archive this thread quick...

Navinabob 07-25-10 01:17 PM

Yes, but the point you are missing is the fact that they are a comedy show meant to entertain and sell commercials. You, on the other hand are here just to bitch and moan. And please don't say crap like "I've said nothing worse then they have argument" because that too is ridiculous for two giant reasons. One, you chided them on not being decent and following some sort of moral code you have. As far as I can tell this code consists entirely of spite, ignorance, vileness and hypocrisy. Yaay you! Two, everything you are going off on comes from the mouths of characters, not the people!!! You are not quoting an article you read or an interview they gave... just what characters are saying. They are fictional! That's like saying the creator of the Soporanos is pro-crime and anti-establishment because Tony was a mobster.

Even your catch-22 argument holds no water because you have been going off on them for years. It's not like you gave them an episode of two... you continue to watch like a mad man. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Oh wait... unless you only kept watching as a form of public service? Like your vigilance was needed to protect us?

It is either that or you have been planning this call-to-arms speech for the last five years (You actually asked people to circulate this drivel!!!!) and you wanted to make sure that when you did the creators of Southpark didn't lambaste you for criticizing what you didn't watch.

No wonder you hate they show... you are cut from the same mold as most of the people they go after. You are like Mel Gibson without money, charm, talent or success. Congrats buddy!