DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   tell me about the shield (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/576536-tell-me-about-shield.html)

chino77 07-15-10 01:22 AM

tell me about the shield

so i finally started watching the shield. im halfway through season 2 and liking it a lot so far. after seeing the first episode though i thought it was going to be a bit crazier...still its real good. so does this show stay good till the end? or does it start slumping in later seasons? i dont know ANYTHING about this show so please dont spoil anything. just wondering what to expect now that ive dedicated myself to 89 episodes.

chrisih8u 07-15-10 01:57 AM

Re: tell me about the shield

It gets better. You're in for a treat.

dan30oly 07-15-10 02:08 AM

It's alright.

Not nearly the masterpiece some on this board claim it to be.

Tscott 07-15-10 02:20 AM

A little bit ago they had the complete series as a deal of the day at Amazon. I bought it blind based on strong word of mouth. I finished it in about 6 weeks and felt like I had just watched a brilliant 88 hour long movie. Solid show from beginning to end.

jdslater1 07-15-10 03:15 AM

It's a TV show.

A great TV show.

DJariya 07-15-10 03:29 AM

All you need to know is Vic Mackey is one of the best anti-heroes in cable TV history. It's Mid-July and if your not watching anything actively until the Fall season comes back, then by all means continue watching. It's very entertaining TV. I started watching before season 3 began. Blind bought seasons 1 and 2 and stayed up until 3, 4, 5am nightly (don't know if you will be that hooked) and managed to catch up before the season 3 premiere. I watched it weekly on FX until the series finale.

Fist of Doom 07-15-10 04:17 AM

I'd say it gets even better in Season 3. Things definitely get crazier as the show goes on, and Vic accumulates more and more adversaries. The series finale is one my all-time favorites.

movieking 07-15-10 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by dan30oly (Post 10266762)
It's alright.

Not nearly the masterpiece some on this board claim it to be.

It's the best show in the history of the world.

conscience 07-15-10 07:51 AM

It's a great show. Very few shows leave me unsettled but there were many episodes of this show where I was literally on the edge of my seat biting my fingernails.

The show isn't perfect but it's very, very good.

MrSmearkase 07-15-10 08:05 AM

It's a great show, and it'll only get better if you're currently in season 2. Enjoy the ride!

Red Dog 07-15-10 08:19 AM

I can think of few other shows that lasted more than 4-5 seasons that were as consistently great over its entire run. Other shows may have been better at their peak, but couldn't sustain it (either dropped in quality over time or was up/down/up).

spainlinx0 07-15-10 08:39 AM

Consistently good over its entire run. I have no hesitation recommending this show to anyone. I can't remember ever saying to myself "well this show is really starting to falter."

sauce07 07-15-10 08:53 AM

Season 5 is one of the best seasons of any TV show ever. Just when you think the show has set up a situation where it could jump the shark, it gets better.

Dragon Tattoo 07-15-10 09:14 AM

It's the best show ever. I loved it.

wendersfan 07-15-10 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog (Post 10267000)
I can think of few other shows that lasted more than 4-5 seasons that were as consistently great over its entire run. Other shows may have been better at their peak, but couldn't sustain it (either dropped in quality over time or was up/down/up).

I think this is an excellent summation of why the show is so well-regarded. One thing that really helped was the producers' ability to get extremely high quality guest stars to commit to entire seasons, namely, Forrest Whitaker and Glenn Close.

devilshalo 07-15-10 09:34 AM

You have the luxury of seeing the entire series back to back to back, where as those of us that watched it religiously on tv, had to wait every week for the next episode. And the wait was always unbearable.

EdTheRipper 07-15-10 09:36 AM

It's one of the best shows. Stick with it, you'll be rewarded.

Navinabob 07-15-10 10:01 AM

While Six Feet Under's ending stayed with you in a "wow" way at the finale, the Shield struck me in a haunting way... I swear I was a zombie for the next 24 hours as my mind kept drifting over it. Powerful stuff.

bluetoast 07-15-10 10:22 AM

Amazing show, never slumps. I revisit the final episode from time to time...amazing.

Tommy Ceez 07-15-10 11:51 AM

Agreed...The Shield was one of the few shows that could make me physically ill for hours or days after...and you have all those moments AHEAD OF YOU

Count Dooku 07-15-10 12:41 PM

Every episode isn't going to be a home run, and every storyline isn't going to be great, but it was a better overall series than The Sopranos.

spainlinx0 07-15-10 12:43 PM

Stove scene. Haunts me to this day.

Gunde 07-15-10 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog (Post 10267000)

Exactly. Besides The Wire it's the only 3+ season show I can think of that doesn't have one single bad episode (No, 'Co-Pilot' wasn't bad).

starseed1981 07-15-10 12:46 PM

IMHO...the best show of all time. Again, IMHO.

chino77 07-15-10 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 10266803)
I started watching before season 3 began. Blind bought seasons 1 and 2 and stayed up until 3, 4, 5am nightly (don't know if you will be that hooked)

ive watched season 1 and 2 in 2 days...so yea im hooked. im unemployed and its the only thing ive watched.

im glad to hear it stays good. i was so afraid that half way through its run it was going to start sucking, like most shows do.

its awesome that i know absolutley nothing about this show (except the infamous blow job scene, and even then i dont know who it happens to or what season, or why).