Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

2009-2010 Show Reviews and Comments (Spoiler Free)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I thought it would be a good idea to create a general thread on shows from this past season that allow people to ask questions and provide feedback without fear of anything being spoiled.

Did I stop a show too early?

Should I have watched a new show that didn't interest me, but turned out great?

What was I thinking?!

etc.

First question I have - is season 3 of Gossip Girl worth watching? I thought much of season 2 was aimless and they kept fumbling with characters and relationships. They clearly set up a few pieces for season 3 that I presume were going to come into play.

Feeback I have as a start:

Chuck (Season 3) - While initially short (3.0; 13 episodes) it was a season that pushed the boundaries of the typical scenarios and certainly pushed all of the characters to new places. Additionally, the back portion of the season (3.5; 6 episodes) was a blast. Not only was it fun, but it kept moving the story and set up even more new avenues for season 4. If you were on the fence after the first few episodes of the season I'd recommend you stick it out and finish the season.

Stargate Universe (Season 1) - This was a huge departure from the typical SG-1/SGA formula. Some will say it's a copy of BSG, but I think it's something more relatable. BSG was probably more gritty, but also (partially) less relatable since they weren't 'human' per se. SGU is something I'd expect if a group was actually in their situation. Regardless, I think the first half of the season was trying to find its feet for most of the episodes. At times they relied on forced character drama that wasn't necessary. However, I believe the back half of the season found a balance between situational and character drama. Additionally, the character drama was more of a natural outcropping from development. I welcome this back in the fall and look forward to the season 1 finale cliffhanger.

Vampire Diaries (Season 1) - The pilot was weak. I didn't think I'd make it past a few episodes before I lost interest. In reality I doubt there was any other show this season that managed to mature so much through the course of the season. Each week was better and better. For those worried high school served mostly as a background setting rather than being at the forefront once the first half a donzen episodes were out of the way. The writers managed some great character development, stories and drama. There were times when I was genuinely scared. I also loved that the motivations and actions of certain characters were not telegraphed - kept you on your toes. It wrapped up the year in a fantastic way and I can't wait to have it back in the fall.
Old 07-13-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Re: 2009-2010 Show Reviews and Comments (Spoiler Free)

If you didn't like S2 of GG, then I wouldn't bother watching S3.

I have to look at the fall schedules again, but I know that Monday features a lot of shows that I watch, so chances are I'll be dumping GG myself between DVR conflicts and how lame S3 was.
Old 07-13-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the feedback. By the time S3 hits dvd it will almost time for the new TV season to start. No use trying to cram something lackluster in just to get through it!
Old 07-15-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anybody have some feedback on White Collar? It looks interesting and fun, but I haven't heard too many people talk about it.
Old 09-09-10, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any feedback on Fringe Season 2? I think I watched ~7 episodes (I recall the Charlie arc finishing) before I became too busy to keep up. Is it worth going back to watch the remainder of the season?