Search this Thread

Old 06-13-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad --> Season 3 Finale --> "Full Measure" --> 06/13/10

Did anyone else get the idea that maybe the ending wasn't
Spoiler:
Gayle being shot
? It may have been the way that the camera panned around, but I got the impression that the shot wasn't on target. Don't know what this would mean for the next season, but interesting to think about. Also, while I really liked this season in general I dislike the very ending. The other seasons all ended cleanly and now there is this ambiguity.
Old 06-14-10, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Cliffhangers during the season, whatever, but a huge cliffhanger to end a season? Fuck you!!!
Old 06-14-10, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonX
Did anyone else get the idea that maybe the ending wasn't
Spoiler:
Gayle being shot
? It may have been the way that the camera panned around, but I got the impression that the shot wasn't on target. Don't know what this would mean for the next season, but interesting to think about. Also, while I really liked this season in general I dislike the very ending. The other seasons all ended cleanly and now there is this ambiguity.
That's what I was thinking. I think he
Spoiler:
moved the gun to shoot someone else

It's going to be a long wait till season four.
Old 06-14-10, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
That's what I was thinking. I think he
Spoiler:
moved the gun to shoot someone else

It's going to be a long wait till season four.
That is exactly what I was thinking too. I wish it hadn't ended in such a way, but it is hardly a dealbreaker. This show has been amazing, but I am a bit scared by the fact that seemingly nothing is scripted out ahead of time. I mean interviews have stated that Jessie was to die at the end of season one but it didn't happen. I hope they know exactly where they want to go with things, but I get the idea that it isn't the case.
Old 06-14-10, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is no ambiguity. It was a camera move, not Jesse moving the gun. He shot Gale and Gale is dead. Jesse killed Gale, an innocent man, to protect Walt.
Old 06-14-10, 01:14 AM

Here's an interview that was posted today with Bryan Cranston. Don't read it until after you've watched the season finale; the interview has some huge spoilers

HitFix Interview: Bryan Cranston discusses the 'Breaking Bad' season
Posted on Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 By Daniel Fienberg
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-...ing-bad-season
Old 06-14-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Vince says in an interview that the ending was not supposed to be ambiguous and the camera was panning, Jesse was not changing where he aimed the gun. He says the audience should have been thinking "Oh my god, he just shot Gale!" not, "What happened?"

I'm still thinking Gale was undercover DEA.
Old 06-14-10, 01:46 AM

Here's an inconsequential observation. There were a few close-ups of Walt's phone; it looks like he's using the Verizon budget phone Samsung Smooth U350

pic: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/zoom.php?p=1978&g=2
Old 06-14-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by John Slider
Vince says in an interview that the ending was not supposed to be ambiguous and the camera was panning, Jesse was not changing where he aimed the gun. He says the audience should have been thinking "Oh my god, he just shot Gale!" not, "What happened?"
I am surprised that he didn't change the editing if he wanted it to be clear. If you have to address this in interviews then clearly it isn't cut and dry like he wanted it to be. That being said, even with these quotes, I wouldn't be that surprised if it was revealed that he didn't get shot when the 4th season starts.
Old 06-14-10, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jesse not shooting Gale does nothing but throw in a twist where there doesn't need to be a twist. This show has never been the type that does stupid twist stuff just to fuck with people. Jesse killing an essentially innocent person pushes him down a darker path now. Jesse said at the beginning of this season that he knew who he was, he was the bad guy. But he really wasn't; he had a conscience and morality and feelings that we saw develop over the course of the season, especially in the last episode where he went after the drug dealers who killed the kid. But now he's killed someone in order to save Walt, and seeing how fragile Jesse can be, it's going to be a big change for him next season.
Old 06-14-10, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I, too, had a little bit of doubt as to whether Jesse actually shot Gayle. That aside, intense episode.

Here's another post-finale interview, with just Vince Gilligan (I haven't read it yet, so I don't know how spoilerific it is):

http://www.avclub.com/articles/vince-gilligan,42064/
Old 06-14-10, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I loved this, but the viewing process was so frustrating. My wife and I watch it with a friend, who is normally really talkative, but is good about shutting up during TV shows. But his ex came over, and he reverted to his old self.

They were chatting almost non-stop, and I sat on my couch seething. When Walt said the address at the end, he blurted out with "See, Jesse's going to kill Gus," and I said "Damnit, no, that's Gale's address. We just heard it!"

My wife promptly turned up the show, and when he left he seemed kind of sheepish.

The wait for next season is going to be really hard.
Old 06-14-10, 09:07 AM

In regards to the debate about whether or not Jesse shot Gale dead, the consensus seems to be that Gilligan initially filmed it with that intent, but when more people saw the final cut and mentioned that it seemed ambiguous, he seems to be going with that.

From an interview: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ince-gilligan/

Q: I don’t expect you to tell me what you’re planning, but do you have it worked out in your mind whether Jesse definitely killed Gale at the end of the episode?

A: Well, it’s funny. I don’t have it worked out exactly what’s going to happen next, which is the way we’ve been doing it now for three seasons.
Old 06-14-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I guess I should have checked on the ep. length, because I thought it was going long and was totally shocked when it went black at the gunshot at 56 minutes or so.

I LOVED Walt's move, not because I wanted to see Gale killed but because Walt had a darn good plan: Show Gus he wasn't just some drone (which I suppose the hit-and-run deal did as well) and make himself invaluable.

Not sure why Gus was so set on finding/killing Jesse, who had planned to shoot the dealers but didn't actually DO anything, did he?

Walt saved Jesse's life and now it seems Jesse's saved Walt's. Can't wait to see where it goes from here...
Old 06-14-10, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uteotw
Not sure why Gus was so set on finding/killing Jesse, who had planned to shoot the dealers but didn't actually DO anything, did he?
My take is that he wanted both Jesse and Walt dead at that point, because to let them live would be a display of weakness.

He couldn't kill Walt yet, because he was too valuable. Jesse had no value, so there was no reason to not kill him.
Old 06-14-10, 09:29 AM

Not sure when it might begin, but perhaps by the time Season 4 kicks off DirecTV might actually have AMC in that new-fangled "HD".
Old 06-14-10, 09:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Jesse went to kill the dealers therefore causing Walt to interfere and murder both of them
Old 06-14-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure when it might begin, but perhaps by the time Season 4 kicks off DirecTV might actually have AMC in that new-fangled "HD".
No shit. Same with AT&T.
Old 06-14-10, 09:57 AM

I would really like to hear the backstory on Gale - just how/why he got mixed up in this. Looked like he had a pretty good record collection, too.

Walt said that their only option was to kill Gale, but they really had another: kill Gus. If he was still working his El Pollo cover, then there would possibly be opportunities to kill him and just end all of this - there doesn't seem to be a second-in-command to take his place, and it would likely be blamed on the cartel (although Walt doesn't know about that).
Old 06-14-10, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by n.phelge
I would really like to hear the backstory on Gale - just how/why he got mixed up in this. Looked like he had a pretty good record collection, too.

Walt said that their only option was to kill Gale, but they really had another: kill Gus. If he was still working his El Pollo cover, then there would possibly be opportunities to kill him and just end all of this - there doesn't seem to be a second-in-command to take his place, and it would likely be blamed on the cartel (although Walt doesn't know about that).
Gale: I'm surprised Gus let him live after he was "let go." He knew everything about the secret lab.

Gus: Good point. Could have even made it look like a fast-food robbery. In fact that's what I thought Walt was talking about when he said they had "one move," killing Gus, not Gale. [Anyone watch Flight of the Conchords? He was great as Doug.]
Old 06-14-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

I never realized until this episode how much Walt's GREY MATTER experience drives his almost ridiculous devotion to Jessie as a partner.

No matter what he does, Walt will not profit and leave Jessie behind, never.
Old 06-14-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AVP77
In regards to the debate about whether or not Jesse shot Gale dead, the consensus seems to be that Gilligan initially filmed it with that intent, but when more people saw the final cut and mentioned that it seemed ambiguous, he seems to be going with that.

From an interview: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ince-gilligan/

Q: I don’t expect you to tell me what you’re planning, but do you have it worked out in your mind whether Jesse definitely killed Gale at the end of the episode?

A: Well, it’s funny. I don’t have it worked out exactly what’s going to happen next, which is the way we’ve been doing it now for three seasons.
You are leaving out an important part of his quote:
Now that we’ve come this far, there’s really no turning back. Life is definitely going to change for Jesse there.
Jesse killing Gale is going to be an important part in the development of his character, not to mention that if he doesn't kill him, but shoots past him and tells him to run or whatever, both Walt and him end up dead.

In another interview, he's more specific about not wanting ambiguity there:
Q: We can talk about the future in a little bit, but right now I want to talk about that scene. You wrote it, you directed it, and it sounds to me like you don't intend for there to be any ambiguity by the way you cut the final bit of it.

A: In my mind, no, I don't intend for there to be any ambiguity. Let me start this by saying I always am reluctant to tell the audience afterward what to think or how to feel. I really prefer it when the audience comes to their own conclusions. But in honest answer to your question, I never really intended for there to be any ambiguity. But it's funny: in the editing room, my editor and some other people were saying that the way it counter-dollies around, it looks like he's changing his point of aim before he pulls the trigger. For what it's worth, I did not intend for it to feel that way. I've been hearing from the people who've already seen it that it looks like he's changing where he's aiming. That is not intentional. I did not see it that way when I was directing. It's not wrong for you to think he shot this guy.
Old 06-14-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

But mostly:

I got on the phone with creator Vince Gilligan to talk about the grand plan that led to this season - only to have Vince explain, over and over, that so much of what made this year great was the complete lack of a plan.
Old 06-14-10, 11:54 AM

Surprised DirecTV doesn't have AMC in HD. Cox has had it in HD for well over a year.

Breaking Bad has some of the most stunning HD images on TV in my opinion. The scene with Walt and Gus talking in that field was gorgeous.
Old 06-14-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great finale.

I'm a little bit disappointed on how they first showed Gus as this big mastermind and then last week he's having a meeting with two street dealers. And then last night, he knows how smart Walt is, he knows that Gale was there to learn everything from Walt so Gus could kill him. So he at least should have put some protection on Gale.

Oh and I love the Mike character!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.