Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Does anyone know a "Nielsen family"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know a "Nielsen family"?

With so much riding on the viewing habits of so few, does anyone know someone who actually participates in the Nielsen ratings system?

I've often wondered about this since most posters here generally watch the same kind of stuff. (I guess they don't post if they're not interested though). But most here like Chuck and it barely held on for another season. Most don't seem to watch the NCIS, CSI type shows, but these consistently get better ratings than more highly praised shows.

Always wondered why there can't be a better way to do the "ratings".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neilsen_ratings

Frack. I though I was in TV Talk. Mods please move.
Old 06-03-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Does anyone know a "Nielsen family"?

Do they even use them anymore? I figure with all the new technology at least with Directv they know what you watch and when you watch it. Even if it is recorded and watched later. I figure its the same with cablle companies.

Maybe I'm just wrong.
Old 06-03-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

My wife and I have done it in the past. We kept a written log of what we'd watched and sent it back in. They contacted us about doing it again last year. We were going to do it but they wanted to come to the house and install a device to monitor what we watched. We decided not to do it after that.
Old 06-03-10, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Do they even use them anymore? I figure with all the new technology at least with Directv they know what you watch and when you watch it. Even if it is recorded and watched later. I figure its the same with cablle companies.

Maybe I'm just wrong.
Nope, Nielsen definitely still uses their own special boxes (it would be nice if everybody with satellite and digital cable could just all be checked for ratings, but still not yet, unfortunately). They have a special remote that you use to tell them how many people are watching, and you have to press something on it periodically while you're watching so they know the TV isn't just on with nobody there.

They only use the boxes in certain areas (primarily large cities) where they have Nielsen field techs to install and service the boxes. People that live outside their 'box areas' only get paper diaries.

I actually got to do a Nielsen paper diary this May! I made sure to watch Chuck live and tell them about it!
(And I don't watch any NCIS/CSI stuff! )

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-03-10 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-03-10, 10:51 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was a Kid back in 1969 they asked our Family to keep logs of everything we watched. This year would go down in History of being the only year EVERYTHING I WATCHED DID NOT GET CANCELLED!

I'm sure they'd LOVE me if they were to ask to install one of their devices to my TV these days. They'd find out I watch NOTHING on TV UNLESS it's something on Home Video!
Old 06-03-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

One of my coworkers just started. I've been encouraging her to watch all my faves.
Old 06-03-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We were a Nielson family for five years.

It was when we stopped that Chuck's ratings became a problem.
Old 06-03-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was a Nielson "family" in the late 90s. I was a big pro wrestling fan back then, so place blame accordingly.
Old 06-03-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatherer
Nope, Nielsen definitely still uses their own special boxes (it would be nice if everybody with satellite and digital cable could just all be checked for ratings, but still not yet, unfortunately). They have a special remote that you use to tell them how many people are watching, and you have to press something on it periodically while you're watching so they know the TV isn't just on with nobody there.

They only use the boxes in certain areas (primarily large cities) where they have Nielsen field techs to install and service the boxes. People that live outside their 'box areas' only get paper diaries.

I actually got to do a Nielsen paper diary this May! I made sure to watch Chuck live and tell them about it!
(And I don't watch any NCIS/CSI stuff! )
Yeah but maybe with new technology nielsen doesn't have to be the only ones that report the ratings. It seems like a pain in the ass for the person that has to push all that crap.
Old 06-03-10, 12:39 PM
Banned

I'm part of the Nielsen family.
Old 06-03-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

It isn't rocket science. Shows with self contained plots that wrap up in 42-43 minutes always do well in the ratings while shows with arcs tend to struggle. That's been a long running trend in the ratings.

I assume people with the infamous boxes like to casually watch their shows and not have to pay attention to multi-episode or season arcs. Even though I live in So. Cal and work in the TV Industry, I don't know anyone with the box.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-03-10 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-03-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup
Old 06-03-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Nope, never met a person who did this.
Old 06-03-10, 01:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was asked to do it about 15 years ago, but I decided against it. I always wondered how they chose Nielsen viewers, I simply got a phone call one day, asking me if I was interested. They sent me a brochure detailing the procedure. I don't watch a lot of television, so I passed on the opportunity.
Old 06-03-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<--- Worked for Nielsen part time back when my kids were younger. I set up the appointments to have you wired up...

Years ago, they used to come into your house and drill and wire every Tv, vcr, cable box, DVD player and Play Station that you owned. Run wires down through your basement, up through your attic and they gave you a whooping ONE dollar per month! If your Tv went on the blink, they would pay to get it fixed or replace it.
Keeping in mind that back then Tv's were no where near what they are now ... now they cost $$$$ and the thought of them coming in and drilling... No thanks!
I have no idea if this is still the norm.. you would think it would all be wireless but something tells me it's not.
Old 06-03-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
I was asked to do it about 15 years ago, but I decided against it. I always wondered how they chose Nielsen viewers, I simply got a phone call one day, asking me if I was interested. They sent me a brochure detailing the procedure. I don't watch a lot of television, so I passed on the opportunity.

Age and race are the top two deciding factors.
Location is another.

If you are a African American, age 18-49 in an area/location where they haven't reached their quota for 18-49 African Americans... you're golden.
Old 06-03-10, 02:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

They recently asked me to keep a diary/journal for 1 week, May 6th through 13th. Paid me 30 bucks too!

Boy I was up late watching a lot of tv that week.
Old 06-03-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

My family did the diary for a little while back in the day when I was a youngster. It was a pain in the ass.
Old 06-03-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've done the diary 3 times including a Thursday to Wednesday in the beginning of May.
Old 06-03-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
My family did the diary for a little while back in the day when I was a youngster. It was a pain in the ass.
Seriously! I remember doing it twice and each time it was a rush to try and fill out the brochures as no one ever did it as they watched.
Old 06-03-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
<--- Worked for Nielsen part time back when my kids were younger. I set up the appointments to have you wired up...

Years ago, they used to come into your house and drill and wire every Tv, vcr, cable box, DVD player and Play Station that you owned. Run wires down through your basement, up through your attic and they gave you a whooping ONE dollar per month! If your Tv went on the blink, they would pay to get it fixed or replace it.
Keeping in mind that back then Tv's were no where near what they are now ... now they cost $$$$ and the thought of them coming in and drilling... No thanks!
I have no idea if this is still the norm.. you would think it would all be wireless but something tells me it's not.
That whole drilling and wiring thing is why my wife and I declined to participate last time. So, as of last year, it's still the norm.
Old 06-03-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

One of my college professors was a nielsen family. He briefly mentioned it on the first day of class. It was a freshman seminar class and one day, he conducted one-on-one discussions with each member of the class just to get a sense of how they are adjusting to college. After my session was over, he asked if I had any questions and I asked him about how the nielsen thing worked (instead of asking something college related...hahahaha)

He said he represented about 250K people in the area.
Old 06-03-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
One of my college professors was a nielsen family. He briefly mentioned it on the first day of class. It was a freshman seminar class and one day, he conducted one-on-one discussions with each member of the class just to get a sense of how they are adjusting to college. After my session was over, he asked if I had any questions and I asked him about how the nielsen thing worked (instead of asking something college related...hahahaha)

He said he represented about 250K people in the area.
Liberal elites strike again
Old 06-03-10, 11:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Liberal elites strike again
Yeah, clearly we have too many intelligent, complex, innovative shows on TV due to people like that dominating the ratings families.
Old 06-15-10, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got a call from them last week informing me I was selected to keep a log for one week (or was it two?) and that I should expect my packet soon. I would get $5.00 for it, too. I've done this once before about ten years before so I figured I was just coming around again on their mailing list.

Sadly, the packet never showed up. I don't know if it got lost because I recently moved or what, but I really have no way to follow up with them to let them know it got lost in the mail. It bummed me out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.